Dominican Parents

Gimabella

Sep 15, 2003
hey

if i have Domincan born parents with Cedula and i am born American, will i need a Cedula as well, in order to live and work and attend school in the DR ?

i was told i was liable to get a Cedula with one of my parents Birth certificate and mine legalized and translated but when i was there in Jan 04' i tried getting a Cedula and they looked at me as if i was an alien,,,,they said that i can not get a cedula since my American PP is just as good as a cedula, is this true?

thanks, Gima

andy_089

Mar 23, 2003
ay mama

sounds like u need to apply to the Dominican Green Card Lottery :bandit: :bandit:

DRInMySoul

Aug 30, 2004
i heard that u do....u really might wanna check that out though...its almost like an Social Security card i guess...

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
While I am not a lawyer I think you must first be able to gain Dominican citizenship before you obtain a cedula. You can gain Dominican citizenship as you outlined by showing your parent's Dominican birth certificates. This is part of the Dual citizenship DR Law passed in 1996.
Once that is settled then you can apply for a legal id card, a cedula.

Best-
D

Gimabella said:
hey

if i have Domincan born parents with Cedula and i am born American, will i need a Cedula as well, in order to live and work and attend school in the DR ?

i was told i was liable to get a Cedula with one of my parents Birth certificate and mine legalized and translated but when i was there in Jan 04' i tried getting a Cedula and they looked at me as if i was an alien,,,,they said that i can not get a cedula since my American PP is just as good as a cedula, is this true?

thanks, Gima

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
To obtain a cedula you need to be either a resident or a citizen. If your parents are Dominicans you may acquire Dominican citizenship easier and faster than the standard naturalization route.

Gimabella

Sep 15, 2003
ok know...

Fabio J. Guzman said:
To obtain a cedula you need to be either a resident or a citizen. If your parents are Dominicans you may acquire Dominican citizenship easier and faster than the standard naturalization route.

ok,,

how will go about that citizenship, can i still attend a University and obtain employment w/o being a Citizen but residing in the D.Rep?

yes, my parents are both Dominican born, which i believe will help me in anything i decide to do in D.R.

what is the first step i can do.? i already have my moms Birht certificate, my birth certificate translated and legalized by the Domincan Consulate in NYC..

ahora que....i think i do everything else in JCE right?

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
A person born of a Dominican father or mother has the right to acquire Dominican citizenship by virtue of Article 11 of the Constitution and Article 26 of Law 1683 of 1948. The steps to be taken are the following:

1. Petition to the Minister of Interior.

2. Affidavit prepared by a Notary Public in which the applicant states his wish to apply for Dominican citizenship.

3. Birth certificate of the applicant, authenticated at a Dominican Consulate and translated into Spanish by an official translator.

4. Birth certificate of the applicant?s Dominican parent.

5. 4 pictures, 2 x 2 inches.

6. Application and newspaper fees.

Gimabella

Sep 15, 2003
thank you so much

thanks so much, willi have to be actually residing in the Dr to acquire this?

can't i just do this on a trip when i go on vacation, this way i can get a head start when i decide to move over there on Jan. 2006