Are prescriptions needed for antibiotics?

PearlyKay

Sep 2, 2004
In Mexico last year, I developed bronchitis and walked into the drugstore and purchased Amoxicillin without needing a prescription. Apparently you can purchase anything you want there without a prescription.
What are the DR rules about this? We're vacationing in the DR this year and I want to purchase antibiotics and topical ointments to bring home for my dog's chronic ear infections.
Thanks for your help.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No need for a prescription to buy antibiotics. A wide variety available over the counter in any pharmacy. If they don't have the particular one you want, try another. There are always at least a couple in every town.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
PearlyKay said:
In Mexico last year, I developed bronchitis and walked into the drugstore and purchased Amoxicillin without needing a prescription. Apparently you can purchase anything you want there without a prescription.
What are the DR rules about this? We're vacationing in the DR this year and I want to purchase antibiotics and topical ointments to bring home for my dog's chronic ear infections.
Thanks for your help.

As far as I know, you can buy anything without a prescription. I myself bought 20 Amoxicillin pills one month ago. Plus medicin for my dog last week... :laugh:

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Little problems

You will find that most popular antibiotics can be obtained in the DR without prescription. Most of the pharmacy?s have cross-reference manuals and you should have little trouble getting what you want either in brand or generic forms.
Charlie

PearlyKay

Sep 2, 2004
how about doggie meds?

Thanks for all your replies. Do they carry veterinary medicines, too? When his ear infections flare up, the dog needs Panalog ointment and Baytric pills.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
I have bough Amoxicillin in the DR with no prescription. Just go to the pharmacy and ask for it.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
In this country dogs usually end up using people meds unless the vet happens to have them in his clinic. It's usually cheaper that way. I'm sure if they don't have the exact product you need they'll have something with the same ingredients.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
veterinary medicines of all types are readily avaliable from the vet, and vet supply stores (agrovet).

Unfortunately, the vets themselves rarely know what they are doing.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
PearlyKay said:
Apparently you can purchase anything you want there without a prescription.
"Pleasure drugs" excluded, like morphine, valium, etc.

PearlyKay said:
I want to purchase antibiotics and topical ointments to bring home for my dog's chronic ear infections.
Are these drugs unavailable where you live?
Do you expect them to be less expensive here?
Is it possible that it may be illegal to transport these drugs into your home country without a prescription?

PearlyKay

Sep 2, 2004
Rocky said:
"Pleasure drugs" excluded, like morphine, valium, etc.
Are these drugs unavailable where you live?
Do you expect them to be less expensive here?
Is it possible that it may be illegal to transport these drugs into your home country without a prescription?

Expecting them to be a bit cheaper, main concern is to get what I want in the amount I want. Last month, 1 vet visit cost me $192 = $50 for office visit and for a single week's worth of Baytril drops$49, Baytric tablets$39 & Amoxil$54. Human prescription for 1 week on Amoxil 500mg is $21, in Mexico last year it was $7. The dog's ear infections cleared up but 3 days after drugs ran out, the infections were back (streptococcus G & pseudomonas). I believe 2 weeks on the drugs would have obliterated the problems totally.
Last year I brought antibiotics back from Mexico with no problem. I would never purchase narcotics of any kind - just antibiotic treatments for my house pets. Thanks for your input - any and all comments are appreciated.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Bought Amoxicillin 500mg 2 weeks ago for RD$20/pill...about US$.40

Don't know about the rest though...

carolinet

Oct 21, 2003
I bought Amoxcillin the last time I was there over the counter too. The only thing she asked was how many I wanted. I knew roughly how many were a full course but it's dangerous just giving them out willy-nilly. There are probably people taking about 10 a day...

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
amoxcillian

carolinet said:
I bought Amoxcillin the last time I was there over the counter too. The only thing she asked was how many I wanted. I knew roughly how many were a full course but it's dangerous just giving them out willy-nilly. There are probably people taking about 10 a day...

comes in boxes of 100 if needed, 2 options. the one mentioned at about 20rd per pill, india verison for 5rd. farmacia next to dumbo's on independencia across from independence park in santo domingo.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
PearlyKay said:
Last year I brought antibiotics back from Mexico with no problem. I would never purchase narcotics of any kind - just antibiotic treatments for my house pets. Thanks for your input - any and all comments are appreciated.
The only reason I mentioned it, is because I heard of people getting busted at customs in the US for bringing in steroids.
As best as I know, steroids are by prescription only in the US and they must have some type of import laws there with regards to any prescription drugs being brought into the country without a valid prescription.
It may not hurt to inquire, if you are from the US.
Don't want to see you busted over a dog's ear infection.

PearlyKay

Sep 2, 2004
Canadian Customs nails people for steroids as well as narcotics, but ACC (aspirin/caffeine/codeine) is an over-the-counter pain reliever here.
I usually get bronchitis over Christmas so only need Amoxil for myself one week a year. I'm real careful with Amoxil - can't risk developing a tolerance to it. The dog is 120lbs and his dosage is the same as mine = 500mg every 8 hours for 7 days. The Humane Society thought he was abandoned because of his ear & skin problems. My vet does regular and homeopathic medicine plus she's an accupuncturist. She figures it's allergies. Tests/medicine have cost a small fortune, but we've identified the bacteria's. Changing food types didn't stand a chance of success while the bacteria were raging. The week's worth of medicine mostly cleared up his problems - I'm positive 2 week's of aggressive treatment would have done the trick. I'm going to take the empty prescription bottles with me to make sure I get the right stuff.
Cheers, PearlyKay

Last edited:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
North coast?

If you are coming to the North coast, we could assist you in finding the best deal for the required pills.

PearlyKay

Sep 2, 2004
Thanks for the offer - I've got a friend who is amazing at finding good vacation deals and loves organizing everything so I'm not sure yet exactly where we're going - I just know that this year will be the Dominican Republic. We always go in November, 2 weeks all-inclusive, someplace sunny and hot, ladies only, no whiners or grumps allowed!
Cheers :)

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
One of my dogs had skin and ear problems too, it was an infection brought about by allergies. He has always had skin problems but his ears got really bad with puss coming out and he was very uncomfortable.

The medicine really helped the skin but the ears continued to be bad. Eventually, the vet put him to sleep (anethesia?) to flush his ears out and he's been fine since then.

PearlyKay said:
Canadian Customs nails people for steroids as well as narcotics, but ACC (aspirin/caffeine/codeine) is an over-the-counter pain reliever here.
I usually get bronchitis over Christmas so only need Amoxil for myself one week a year. I'm real careful with Amoxil - can't risk developing a tolerance to it. The dog is 120lbs and his dosage is the same as mine = 500mg every 8 hours for 7 days. The Humane Society thought he was abandoned because of his ear & skin problems. My vet does regular and homeopathic medicine plus she's an accupuncturist. She figures it's allergies. Tests/medicine have cost a small fortune, but we've identified the bacteria's. Changing food types didn't stand a chance of success while the bacteria were raging. The week's worth of medicine mostly cleared up his problems - I'm positive 2 week's of aggressive treatment would have done the trick. I'm going to take the empty prescription bottles with me to make sure I get the right stuff.
Cheers, PearlyKay

PearlyKay

Sep 2, 2004
I've been flushing his ears twice a day & cleaning out all the gunk. It's getting better now that I'm using 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar in a half cup warm water. I'm sure that 2 weeks of drugs will clear it all up. I'm spending a fortune on special food for him but this morning when I woke up, he'd eaten a hole in the hallway plaster. So much for watching his diet :-(
I'm really looking forward to my group's vacation in the Dominican Republic - the more I read about it the more excited I get!