Dominicans in North Carolina

puropapi3

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 1, 2004
I have some friend that are Dominican that either have family or visited or moved to North Carolina. Does anybody know about the Dominican scene in the Carolinas because i never heard of it before.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
former president Hippo graduated from a University in North Carolina.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Yes there is a growing Dominican population in NC. Mainly through the military. That is, many people enter, are stationed there, then settle there.
Of the US Dominican adults that are in NC, close to 40% are Dominican-Americans. This is then followed with a second migration-wave both internally and external to the States.

There are several southern states with a significant Dominican population at the congressional district level--meaning 500 Dominicans or more. Virginia and Georgia are among them and it is my personal opinion that North Carolina is among them as well if you can allow for correction in census 2000 figures.

As far as the local hangout spot I would have to look in on that. It's just a matter of time and looking out to get plugged in.

Best,
D

puropapi3 said:
I have some friend that are Dominican that either have family or visited or moved to North Carolina. Does anybody know about the Dominican scene in the Carolinas because i never heard of it before.

puropapi3

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 1, 2004
Aight

deelt said:
Yes there is a growing Dominican population in NC. Mainly through the military. That is, many people enter, are stationed there, then settle there.

Of the US Dominican adults that are in NC, close to 40% are Dominican-Americans. This is then followed with a second migration-wave both internally and external to the States.

There are several southern states with a significant Dominican population at the congressional district level--meaning 500 Dominicans or more. Virginia and Georgia are among them and it is my personal opinion that North Carolina is among them as well if you can allow for correction in census 2000 figures.

As far as the local hangout spot I would have to look in on that. It's just a matter of time and looking out to get plugged in.

Best,
D

Cool, good information. I dont know how what more to say but keep the posts comming. Anybody can add some points about DR gaining people in the south besides Florida.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I was outside Port Authority Bus Terminal in NYC last year and a Dominican guy (who spoke no English and looked like he just arrived in the US) asked if I knew where the guagua to Carolina del Norte. Presumably he was meeting someone there so there must be other Dominicans in NC. I doubt he realized that he NYC would be so far from NC.

puropapi3

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 1, 2004
Lol

Chris_NJ said:
I was outside Port Authority Bus Terminal in NYC last year and a Dominican guy (who spoke no English and looked like he just arrived in the US) asked if I knew where the guagua to Carolina del Norte. Presumably he was meeting someone there so there must be other Dominicans in NC. I doubt he realized that he NYC would be so far from NC.

LOL, hey as long as he was in America thats all he cared. He would work his way from there.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
deelt said:

Best,
D
I'd be curious to see what the data say about Dominican concentrations in NC, Deni. If people settle near what they knew while serving in the military, then you'll find concentrations in and around Fayetteville, Wilmington and Paris Island. Now, if these folks are seeking the growth area where they will likely be most welcomed, my guess would be Research Triangle (Durham-CH-Raleigh). But since most Dominicans in the US, in my unscientific observation, seem to cling to metropoles, I bet many of them head off to Charlotte.

Regards,
Keith

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Hola Keith

I only currently have the data at a congressional district level. This means if you can id the CD of each city/town you mention then you will find your answer. I did a quickie search on the counties but was unable to quickly identify a match. I am sure you are more familiar, than I, with NC. As for metropoles, you are correct. 99% of US Dominicans live in MSAs according to Dr. John Logan of SUNY-Albany and the 2000 Census.

CD # /Dominican Population Count
1/118
2/351
3/392
4/216
5/84
6/111
7/96
8/389
9/211
10/84
11/41
12/338
13/434

As you can see the CD's with the largest DR population are 2,3,8,12, and 13.
I am sure there will encompass the areas you touch on. I wouldn't be surprised if CDs 12 and 13 are metropolitan areas.

Best-
D
Keith R said:
I'd be curious to see what the data say about Dominican concentrations in NC, Deni. If people settle near what they knew while serving in the military, then you'll find concentrations in and around Fayetteville, Wilmington and Paris Island. Now, if these folks are seeking the growth area where they will likely be most welcomed, my guess would be Research Triangle (Durham-CH-Raleigh). But since most Dominicans in the US, in my unscientific observation, seem to cling to metropoles, I bet many of them head off to Charlotte.

Regards,
Keith

shelby

Jun 26, 2004
as a resident of nc and also a property owner in sousa i would like to know if there are any other part time residents living in the charlotte metro area.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have been to NC a few times

But I never met any Dominicans except for my acquaintences that were attending the furniture show in Thomasville.

Now Charlotte is a city I like. Do you know TIME? Its a bar/bistro in a "renewed" part of town. How is the tram doing.? I met the woman that got it going-super person, calls herself Mac!

BTW, ZI do not think that Hippo graduated from anything in NC. He was an agronomist out of Loyola Politech in San Cristobal. If he did some short course work in NC State, it was most probably not degree oriented. Can anyone proove something on this--I'd like to be in the know.

HB, hoping to get back to NC...

Apr 26, 2002
Hippo attended a "program" at NC State and has an "honorary" (what an ironic term in this case) degree, nothing more.

As for Dominicans in North Carolina, I understand they love Dominicans there. As with everything else, though, they tend to smoke them too long and then smother them in mayonaise.

I know this because I spent in month in Charlotte one week.

shelby

Jun 26, 2004
HB tram is finished wonderfull way to get around and see the old part of the city. not familiar with the Time i kind of live out of the city it would be like you going to sousa for the day me going to charlotte allthough the traffic and the roads are similar. now if were talking furniture my community has several mfg cochrans ethan allen modern mcreary several more the ind hit hard with imports from asia.

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
I have lived in NC ten years now, in Charlotte and now at the beach by Camp Lejune and I have to say I have only seen Dominicans in the DR, although I would like to know if there are any Dominican type restaurants.

Porfio as far as North Carolinians liking Dominicans, I am not sure most of the locals could tell the difference from the other latinos (Mexicans) now immigrating there way up here.

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
shelby said:
as a resident of nc and also a property owner in sousa i would like to know if there are any other part time residents living in the charlotte metro area.
Shelby... hm... that reminds me that my brother lived in Shelby NC for a while in the early eighties, no Dominican ties though, unless counting his present Dominican sister-in-law!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Archdale?

I always stayed in Archdale with some friends. We travelled all over that furniture area, and the Chinese are killing them, that is for sure.

The Show was a great thing to see....

As for TIME, it is a really neat bar, bistro in the refurbished area of Charlotte.

Worth a visit. Say Hi to Tim, one of the owners.

Just tell him some cigar folks wish him well..

HB

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
Branching out

I live in New York City and travel to DR to often but, I lived in Durham NC from April 1998 to Sept. 2000 and never saw a person of Dominican descent. In November 2003 I visited some friends in Durham NC and actually saw a Dominican Family in ?Fuddruckers?. I was glad to see the family wander away from the New York and Miami area to small town USA. I wanted to talk to them and ask many questions, but I just observed from a distance. I thought they were brave, because certain North Carolinians are small-minded and are not accepting of outsiders, especially if you speak another language or if you are from the North. I have experienced that myself as a single male that moved from NYC to Durham NC. It was not easy for me. I hope they stick it out because I ran back home to NYC and I am happy.

As far as the Dominican scene in NC. It will come. It came to New York and New Jersey.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Based on the findings of recent research, there is a Dominican/Dominican-American in every single (of the 435) congressional district in the US. This means Dominicans are present country wide. We are present in significant numbers (more than 100) in places like Ohio, Utah, Alaska, Texas, Georgia and, as showen, in NC. There are more interesting and unexpected places but the joy of it is traveling around the states and running into them.
Best

curlando said:
I live in New York City and travel to DR to often but, I lived in Durham NC from April 1998 to Sept. 2000 and never saw a person of Dominican descent. In November 2003 I visited some friends in Durham NC and actually saw a Dominican Family in ?Fuddruckers?. I was glad to see the family wander away from the New York and Miami area to small town USA. I wanted to talk to them and ask many questions, but I just observed from a distance. I thought they were brave, because certain North Carolinians are small-minded and are not accepting of outsiders, especially if you speak another language or if you are from the North. I have experienced that myself as a single male that moved from NYC to Durham NC. It was not easy for me. I hope they stick it out because I ran back home to NYC and I am happy.

As far as the Dominican scene in NC. It will come. It came to New York and New Jersey.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
It's more like 3-5000 and they are in concentrated pockets of the metropolitan areas. So if you find the street maybe you may be able to buy a platano. Good luck hunting.
D
jerryme said:
100 in 6,000,000 in NC. I don't think I will be seeing any soon.