reluctant but here goes....

DRInMySoul

Aug 30, 2004
ok i wasnt going to do this because i didnt another problem to arise and all the members who have been here longer to point the fingers at us "noobs", at the "younger generation" or anything like that but here goes...

i became a member to this forum thinking that i was going to find other dominicans who love DR and feel as passionately about it and our culture as i do, maybe less maybe more...didnt matter as long as i found a few people to relate to. to my dismay, i found little of this. instead i found people, most which seem like older white tourists, talking about strip joints, prostitutes, sankies and other things that i fear my lil half of the island is becoming better known for than our music, culture, and history. i'm not saying "no one should talk about the negative things that happen" because they're there, they're unavoidable and its a problem to be dealt with. i just didnt think i would encounter conversations about these things on such a mass scale. if there is anyone who can recommend another forum that actually has a little of what i'm hoping for...please let me know. to let you know a little more of what i'm looking for let me tell you a little about myself.

i'm currently a nursing freshman at New York University. i graduated second in my class in high school...(the first was also dominican). contrary to popular belief i, as a young dominican raised in the bronx and surrounded by it all of my life, am not a big fan of rap...i do prefer a little hip-hop now and then (and for those of you who didnt know, yes there is a difference) but not too much of it...but i digress...heres my point: i currently find myself in an environment where racial tension can sometimes become high. all i want to do is reconnect with my culture, my history, my background. connect with others, and just find ppl that feel like i do...that embrace their culture and all the good and bad things that come with it..

i guess i would say more..much more...but i'm exhausted. and just for the record i agree that boxcutta was only asking a question and in the end it turned into something that it really shouldnt have. but again, i'm sidtracking. i just feel like a minority in a forum about my own country and i would lke to find something that caters more to my needs...at least b4 i have to go off and create a forum of my own. if anyone knows of another forum..plz let me know.

thank you..gracias..

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
DRInMySoul said:
i became a member to this forum thinking that i was going to find other dominicans who love DR and feel as passionately about it and our culture as i do, maybe less maybe more...didnt matter as long as i found a few people to relate to. to my dismay, i found little of this. instead i found people, most which seem like older white tourists, talking about strip joints, prostitutes, sankies and other things that i fear my lil half of the island is becoming better known for than our music, culture, and history. i'm not saying "no one should talk about the negative things that happen" because they're there, they're unavoidable and its a problem to be dealt with. i just didnt think i would encounter conversations about these things on such a mass scale.

thank you..gracias..

I'm sorry you feel this way because we have 15 Forums and if you find the discussions about prostitution and sankies are on a massive scale you must be spending massive about of your time reading the Mars/Venus forum which is a very mall part of this message board.

Try reading other forums.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Sadly, I think you probably ARE in a minority here. There are many of us living here in the DR who do not connect with the sankie or puta scene but we are probably not as vocal as those who do. There is a new Forum here called Dominicans Abroad.............that should draw in people you want to connect with. But most of the members are either foreign residents of the DR or frequent visitors or tourists.
And also for the record, I did not ask for boxcutta to go on a vacation from DR1. I did not ask for anything, I merely posted the PM so that he could take a friendly hint that this sort of language was not in his own best interests. I am an absolute believer in free speech. I just prefer it to be both civil & understandable.

DRInMySoul

Aug 30, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
I'm sorry you feel this way because we have 15 Forums and if you find the discussions about prostitution and sankies are on a massive scale you must be spending massive about of your time reading the Mars/Venus forum which is a very mall part of this message board.

Try reading other forums.

actually i havent been basing it only on the Mars/Venus forum. thats actually one of the forums i read the least!! :cheeky:

DRInMySoul

Aug 30, 2004
Lambada said:
Sadly, I think you probably ARE in a minority here. There are many of us living here in the DR who do not connect with the sankie or puta scene but we are probably not as vocal as those who do. There is a new Forum here called Dominicans Abroad.............that should draw in people you want to connect with. But most of the members are either foreign residents of the DR or frequent visitors or tourists.
And also for the record, I did not ask for boxcutta to go on a vacation from DR1. I did not ask for anything, I merely posted the PM so that he could take a friendly hint that this sort of language was not in his own best interests. I am an absolute believer in free speech. I just prefer it to be both civil & understandable.

FYI i'm not tryin to connect with the puta or sankie scene....as for the boxcutta issue i was merely expressing an opinion on something that should be long dead since hes no longer with us. not sayin its your fault...just sayin' it got a tad out of hand...

the only thing i'm asking is if someone knows of another forum i could go..please tell me..thats all.

DRInMySoul

Aug 30, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
May I suggest you click on this forum Dominicans abroad

It would be a good place to connect with your culture, music and history questions

i was just going to post on that... the whole dominicans abroad thing wouldnt exactly work..there are only SEVEN THREADS!

and plus why should i automatically have to be redirected to "dominicans abroad"? just because i'm a US-born dominican posting on what seems like a predominantly tourist site why should i be ushered to a little forum that is barely even alive and has a total of 28 replies? again should i have to feel like a minority on a site about the birthplace of my family and heritage and have to stand around and listen to people who talk about dominican women being prostitutes and putas, men being sankies and chopos and all the little STD's they carry? even if alot of ppl are "joking" when they make their comments isnt there a line that should be drawn?

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
It's a brand new forum started only on Sept. 1 2004 that's why there aren't many threads there but I have a feeling you have another agenda here.

Last edited:

DRInMySoul

Aug 30, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
It's a brand new forum started only on Sept. 1 2004 that's why they aren't many threads there but I have a feeling you and another agenda here
i have a what now? :tired:

locofoto

Aug 18, 2004
DRInMySoul said:
again should i have to feel like a minority on a site about the birthplace of my family and heritage and have to stand around and listen to people who talk about dominican women being prostitutes and putas, men being sankies and chopos and all the little STD's they carry? even if alot of ppl are "joking" when they make their comments isnt there a line that should be drawn?

The sad part of the story is that in the tourist towns you have a hard time to find something different. These towns are magnets to all that Dominicans who want to make a quick buck with some uninformed tourist. On the other hand some of these tourists know exactly what they do and play their very own game with the chicas.

I DO know the other DR outside of these tourist towns. But the typical tourist does not go out there, because some Dominicans tell them horror stories about all the dangerous things outside of the All Inclusive resort. There are even a lot of western tourists who love the sun and the climate, but don't want to see poverty in their holidays. So... These people come and go and never see anything of the country they spend their holiday in.

You should really try to participate in the new forum "Dominicans abroad".

DRInMySoul

Aug 30, 2004
locofoto said:
The sad part of the story is that in the tourist towns you have a hard time to find something different. These towns are magnets to all that Dominicans who want to make a quick buck with some uninformed tourist. On the other hand some of these tourists know exactly what they do and play their very own game with the chicas.

I DO know the other DR outside of these tourist towns. But the typical tourist does not go out there, because some Dominicans tell them horror stories about all the dangerous things outside of the All Inclusive resort. There are even a lot of western tourists who love the sun and the climate, but don't want to see poverty in their holidays. So... These people come and go and never see anything of the country they spend their holiday in.

You should really try to participate in the new forum "Dominicans abroad".
*sigh* i'm sorry but what else do they expect when they go to a third world country? the hamptons everywhere they go?

another thing it would be hard to participate in the "Dominicans Abroad" forum when i know about the things that are being said outside of that "little protected space".

locofoto

Aug 18, 2004
DRInMySoul said:
*sigh* i'm sorry but what else do they expect when they go to a third world country? the hamptons everywhere they go?

Tourist just want sun and fun. They say they work hard all year long and want to spend their holidays partying. Some destinations are high price, some are cheap. The DR is the low-cost destination in the minds of many people. Barbados would be just the contrary.

DRInMySoul said:
another thing it would be hard to participate in the "Dominicans Abroad" forum when i know about the things that are being said outside of that "little protected space".

What does disturb you? Talk about it!

As said earlier I've been to other latin countries and I can tell as a matter of fact that girls even in quite remote locations look at me, my wife (she is a morena from the carribean coast of Colombia) or our company with THAT look. So... We can't deny the fact that there is some wide-spread knowledge about the male foreigner to phrase it that way. Don't close your eyes.

You are US-born. Ok. But how much time have you spend in the DR? Have you personally seen and felt how things are here. I shouldn't be telling you this, but I feel you and I are both foreigners to the DR.

Regarding the culture... We have an open ear for anything culture related and would like to learn more about it.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
DRInMySoul said:

I am an expat that chose the Dominican Republic as my home. My close family and I do not take part in the sankie/puta scene. We simply accept it as part of the landscape.

I for one would love for you to use the new forum and tell us all kinds of things Dominican. There are many like me who love learning about our new country and would truly appreciate good input.

But, I'll support Anna with 'another agenda' - I'll just be a little more direct... I think you're just complaining and not wanting to add anything of value? Now, please prove me wrong.

DRInMySoul

Aug 30, 2004
locofoto said:
You are US-born. Ok. But how much time have you spend in the DR? Have you personally seen and felt how things are here. I shouldn't be telling you this, but I feel you and I are both foreigners to the DR..

yes i have seen and felt how things are there.

DRInMySoul

Aug 30, 2004
Chris said:
I think you're just complaining and not wanting to add anything of value? Now, please prove me wrong.

its not complaining and not wanting to add anything of value. its just seeing how some ppl discuss DR. i'm trying very hard to find a way to describe what i'm feeling. not exactly anger, not exactly disgust. its a combination of things.

i'm not asking for a lecture...i'm asking for a change of scenery and obviously its not working out exactly how i hoped it would. i myself am searching for another place and have already received suggestions and am planning to leave in peace. it would just be nice if some things would change. i'm not asking for a miracle or for someone to move mountains...if would be nice though if some attitudes would change..

as for talking about the things that disturb me i could talk about them till the cows come home and i'm sure alot of other members would too but the environment here DOES become hostile sometimes and frankly i'm sure alot of member would probably just jump on me. but i'll take that chance...we're not all putas, cueros, or prostitutas...we're not all sankies, chulos, vagos and chopos. it would be nice if ppl learned a lil more b4 saying all the negative things they say...

Hey DR in my soul why don't you stop by the NY reunion on Friday the 10th of September at (DRK) Republic on Dykman Street on Friday night Around 7:30 pm, before you lump us all in the same boat as older white tourists who are just chasing putas and trash talking your country, You might actually meet some really interesting Dominicans and some non dominicans who actually love your country more than you could believe and you may actually learn some things about DR that you never knew. Just remember to buy me a drink ;)
Badpiece

DRInMySoul

Aug 30, 2004
badpiece33 said:
Hey DR in my soul why don't you stop by the NY reunion on Friday the 10th of September at (DRK) Republic on Dykman Street on Friday night Around 7:30 pm, before you lump us all in the same boat as older white tourists who are just chasing putas and trash talking your country, You might actually meet some really interesting Dominicans and some non dominicans who actually love your country more than you could believe and you may actually learn some things about DR that you never knew. Just remember to buy me a drink ;)
Badpiece

first i'm not lumping everyone in a boat with older white tourists who are just chasing putas and trash talking my country". i'm not saying everyone in the forum does it..i'm only saying that it seems like alot of the ppl here do and that its a shame that most of those ppl who "actually love my country more than i could believe" arent more vocal. :squareeye :knockedou :cheeky:

p.s. though i am aware of ur lil get together, sorry i cant make it friday...i got plans, thanx! i would gladly buy you a drink for suggesting it though! :D

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
What you see is what you get.

You only get out of DR1, what you put in.
I suggest you start putting in and worring less about whats coming out.

This is a community like any other, everybody has a voice, if you want to be heard over the masses, make yourself heard.

Eventually the community will decide if you have anything of value to contribute...

locofoto

Aug 18, 2004
DRInMySoul said:
as for talking about the things that disturb me i could talk about them till the cows come home and i'm sure alot of other members would too but the environment here DOES become hostile sometimes and frankly i'm sure alot of member would probably just jump on me. but i'll take that chance...we're not all putas, cueros, or prostitutas...we're not all sankies, chulos, vagos and chopos. it would be nice if ppl learned a lil more b4 saying all the negative things they say...

Please share what disturbs you.

LaPinea

Mar 18, 2004
I invite you to DRK also, is another 'story.'

Also, why are you so defensive in your own thread? Anna answered your question, locofoto asked you what exactly is your beef, and everybody else in this thread is trying to accomodate you to no avail.

I can relate to you as well, we seem to be in the same age group, I am also Dominican and I am also in college, but I connot expect this forum to cater to me. Yes, like someone else said here, most members ARE in fact older folks that live in DR. The site has grown a whole lot since I've been a member. There are several questions that I would love to ask a larger community of people but you have to know your audience - so I digress.

Anywho, it seems to me that you are complaining about something you have no control over. It will be great if you stayed around, its always refreshing to have new ideas and someone who is not scared to reply to the others, but by all means, if you are not happy here, you dont have to stay either.

So, in true Dominican fashion - like Dominicans that we are, estas en tu casa - sientate y acomodate...