help!

JANET/NJ

Jun 21, 2004
I decided (since the electricity situation has improved) to travel to DR for the holidays. My dates would be Dec.16-January 4.
Any advice on when i should buy. i keep looking on line but they seem so expensive right now. I thought the sooner you bought them the better. I have traveled many times but when you have kids you tend to care a little more about how much you spend. :ermm:

Any advice on cheap airlines................but i do want to arrive with my luggage please.

Thanks......... :classic:

Scuba

May 27, 2004
You want cheap AND your luggage????

JANET/NJ said:
I decided (since the electricity situation has improved) to travel to DR for the holidays. My dates would be Dec.16-January 4.
Any advice on when i should buy. i keep looking on line but they seem so expensive right now. I thought the sooner you bought them the better. I have traveled many times but when you have kids you tend to care a little more about how much you spend. :ermm:

Any advice on cheap airlines................but i do want to arrive with my luggage please.

Thanks......... :classic:

I fly AA using internet deals, but you cant plan in advance for that. As far as your luggage goes, pack light and carry it with you. I couldn't get my luggage when we landed, they said it belonged to some guy named Samsonite. :)

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
And for that time of year

Scuba said:
I fly AA using internet deals, but you cant plan in advance for that. As far as your luggage goes, pack light and carry it with you. I couldn't get my luggage when we landed, they said it belonged to some guy named Samsonite. :)

AA is not throwing around Netsaver fares either at Christmas since they don't really have to. And frankly they would not run for such a long period as the OP mentions usually F/S departure and M/T return. (e.g. 3-4 days max.)

To the OP: If you fly a fair bit, AA for one will refund via a travel voucher a fare bought now that goes down closer to the departure date. By the first week of December though there'd be little in that regard, but between now and then maybe.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Sorry, unless you are looking to pay well over 600+ for a flight, you should have bought it like a month or two ago. That is prime Dominicans-flocking-home dates...

We got ours for $330 last month. Last seats on that flight.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
$345.00 minus taxes JFK - SDQ ????

You plan to go during high season including holidays, Dec 16 - Jan 4, and the consequence of this is that your are in a lot of competition with a lot of people for a finite amount of seats and flights. The airlines love this and will charge what the market will bear, great for them costly for you.

Suggest you make your reservations ASAP, especially if you are flying as a family, because flight and seat availability will diminish rapidly from this time forward. Suggest you research flights from Newark, JFK, and Philadelphia into Santo Domingo, Santiago, or La Romana to find your best and cheapest options.

Jet Blue is now servicing Santiago and Santo Domingo from NY and a quick check of their website, www.jetblueairways.com , has a roundtrip airfare of $345.00 minus govt fees and taxes for the dates you want to travel from JFK to SDQ. The flip side of this is you depart JFK at 10:40 pm - Ar. SDQ at 3:25 am, return depart SDQ at 4:20 am - Ar JFK 7:10 am.

Regards,
PJT

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
Qestion????

At what time after the December Holidays do the aiirfares go back down, I am traveling the end of Feb. Should I buy now or wait until after December? :paranoid:

JANET/NJ

Jun 21, 2004
Talldrink said:
Sorry, unless you are looking to pay well over 600+ for a flight, you should have bought it like a month or two ago. That is prime Dominicans-flocking-home dates...

We got ours for $330 last month. Last seats on that flight.

WOW! was that roundtrip?

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Janet, yes it was roundtrip, not connections Newark => SD.

Also, the fares go down after Jan 10 or so.

Here a suggestion to you all: if you want to go for December, choose either to be there for Xmas OR Newyears - not both. If you go for Xmas and leave on the 31st, you can catch a break, not the 30th or the 1st, it HAS to be on the 31st... Same thing with Being there Newyears, you can get in after the 30th and leave after 10th, good prices there too...

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
Price drop

Talldrink said:

Here a suggestion to you all: if you want to go for December, choose either to be there for Xmas OR Newyears - not both. If you go for Xmas and leave on the 31st, you can catch a break, not the 30th or the 1st, it HAS to be on the 31st... Same thing with Being there Newyears, you can get in after the 30th and leave after 10th, good prices there too...

When do they actually go to their lowest after New years??

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Jozee74 said:
When do they actually go to their lowest after New years??

Generally anytime after the 15th - January 2005 it will be after Tuesday the 18th (another note, Tuesdays and Wednesdays are the cheapest days to fly).

JANET/NJ

Jun 21, 2004
Talldrink said:

wow! that was really good........i will try my best though to find the best fare for the dates that i want. School ends for the holidays and starts back around the time i want to come back. I also have vacation from work during the same period......and i just cannot imagine myself going to DR for less days :( .

I have too much partying to do.............I have to make up 2 yrs. :classic:

JANET/NJ

Jun 21, 2004
Jozee74 said:
Hey Jan,

Check out Spirit Airlines they have flights from Laguardia Airport (im not sure how far you are from there) to Santo Domingo for unders $200.

www.spiritairlines.com

Thanks i will check it out. Im about 40 minutes away depending on traffic, but i'm willing to go all the way to JFK. The less i spend here the more i get to spend over there :smoke: :cheeky: .

JANET/NJ

Jun 21, 2004
Does anyone know if the airport you choose to arrive at in the DR makes a difference in the ticket price.
For example here in NJ everyone knows that most flights are cheaper via JFK, than thru Newark airport.
Does the same apply for DR airports? :confused:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I'm speaking only through my experience. I reside part of the year in the Bavaro / Punta Cana (tourist) area and find fares from the states to Punta Cana much higher than those to Santo Domingo. However, once in a while you can find a deal.

Regards,
PJT

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I tried Santiago once and the fare was about $100 more. So yes, I guess the airport does make a difference.

I know that AA has a sale going on, if you call and speak to them (instead of the internet) you can get a feel for the days you can travel. Try to be flex on the dates. Sometimes you have to go to the company's website and also call them directly to get a good fair. I've found that Yahoo gives me a slighty higher price than the airline's website. So try both...

Continental 800-525-0280
AA 800-433-7300
Delta 800-221-1212

JANET/NJ

Jun 21, 2004
Talldrink said:
I tried Santiago once and the fare was about $100 more. So yes, I guess the airport does make a difference.

I know that AA has a sale going on, if you call and speak to them (instead of the internet) you can get a feel for the days you can travel. Try to be flex on the dates. Sometimes you have to go to the company's website and also call them directly to get a good fair. I've found that Yahoo gives me a slighty higher price than the airline's website. So try both...

Continental 800-525-0280
AA 800-433-7300
Delta 800-221-1212

Thanks..............