By air or by cab ? and more...

holacanada

Sep 8, 2004
Hi everybody, first post on this forum and not so good in written english.!
I am planning a trip in DR from 23 dec. to 7 jan.
I will stay at Coral Marien for the third time this year.
For this occasion i want to experimented more excursion by myself. Like going to Santo Domingo to visit this capital.
If someone tell me if it's possible to plane from POP to Santo Domingo. Wich airline ? How much USD ? Is this a one day trip or I'll have to stay one night in Santo Domingo ?
Thank you in advance for your reply. :bandit: :bandit:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
If you go by bus you can see 4 hours of the country. Very comfortable, and they play a movie on the way and it's cheap. Maybe 5 or $6 US dollars.

holacanada

Sep 8, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
If you go by bus you can see 4 hours of the country. Very comfortable, and they play a movie on the way and it's cheap. Maybe 5 or $6 US dollars.

Thank you Anna. I'll strongly consider your answer. Where can have informations on the prices, the bus company, the timetable, etc
Can I leave early in the morning from Puerto Plata (like 6 am) then visit the city till nine or ten on the evening than take the bus on the same day.
It seems to me to fast for that kind of visit (museums, the old city, etc).
Do you have a place to stay for less...

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Here is the website for Caribe tours

http://www.caribetours.com.do/ They leave Los Charamicos stop in POP and then they stop twice in Santiago then straight to Santo Domingo.
Ken will be on here tomorrow he'll know the updated price. It was only 160 pesos in Nov. but it has gone up a bit. If you stop in Santiago there's a new museum called Centro Leon you may want to see.

In Santo Domingo the Zona Colonial is interesting. Our member Jan lives there and maybe she can suggest someplaces. Many other here are from SD too

Good luck

holacanada

Sep 8, 2004
Thank you so much again.
The next step of my research is to translate in english the caribe tour website !
:devious: I understand the timetable a little but for this is a lots of informations and cities and I would like to know what are the travel directions and I can'see how many stops ?en route?, how much time from POP to Santo-Domingo (they write ha?ti in parenthesis ????).

Welcome to all of your future replies: community !!!!!!!!!!

pinchy

Aug 16, 2004
caribe tours buses website

holacanada said:
Thank you so much again.
The next step of my research is to translate in english the caribe tour website !
:devious: I understand the timetable a little but for this is a lots of informations and cities and I would like to know what are the travel directions and I can'see how many stops ?en route?, how much time from POP to Santo-Domingo (they write ha?ti in parenthesis ????).

Welcome to all of your future replies: community !!!!!!!!!!

yep I'm having the same problem. I had to translate the site and it still doesn't tell me everything I need to know.

So if anyone out there can provide a list of travel times between destinations (esp. from SD to other destinations) that would be really helpful

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Ken where are you? I'll PM him in case he missed this one.

But from Los Charamicos to Santiago it's about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. They stop in Puerto plata for a few mins and half an hour at the first stop in Santiago and only a few mins at the second stop. Then about 2 hours to SD. That's all I know.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi Anna et al,

The OP is staying at the Coral Marien in Puerto Plata. He/she should NOT go to Los Charamicos but should take a taxi to the Metro or Caribe terminal in Puerto Plata and leave from there.

Buses leave, if I recall properly, about every hour or two from early morning until the early evening and the same for the return. If he/she is not prepared to leave Santo Domingo by 5 - 7 p.m. then an overnight would be required with a return the next day.

Unless I missed something.

Gregg

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
You're right Gregg. I was basing my timing from there because that is where I started.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Caribe Tours has a bus leaving Sosua for Santo Domingo ever 20 minutes past the hour from 5:20 am until around 6 in the evening. The bus goes to Puerto Plata and leaves there on the hour. It arrives in Santiago about 2 hours after leaving Puerto Plata and in Santo Domingo about 2 hours after that.

If you are at Coral Marien ouitside Puerto Plata, then take a cab to the Caribe Tours bus terminal in Puerto Plata. Caribe Tours buses always leave on schedule.

From Puerto Plata, the first departure for Santo Domingo is a 6 am. For your return the same day, the last buses from Santo Domingo for Puerto Plata leaves at 7 pm.

People do go up and back the same day, but don't miss that 7pm bus or you will have to higher a cab or get a hotel room for the night.