Stolen Vehicles

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
It's too bad but the Cop's or whoever's responible for not returning recovered stolen vehicles should receive some kind of punishment!

In many cases I would think that people are still paying off the car loan because the insurance company has not paid off yet.

How many of the vehicles are in good condition now? Even when you get it back it won't be in the same condition as when it was stolen.

This should be viewed as an embarrassment for the country.

Whats your opinion,

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
This is a very good thing the new chief of police is doing. This was just pure abuse on their part. How do you think police officers who make less than 10k pesos a month end up with nice jeepetas...That's how...and that's only part of the story. You should see what they do with items confiscated to drug traffickers. Very nice houses, boats, cars, etc...they all divide them up amongst themselves instead of putting them for public auction as the law states.
I've always said it that the cops are the largest group of criminals in The DR. I'm more worried about them than I am about other kinds of criminals.
Anyhow, even though I think is a good thing I also know that there will be no punishment for those who used other people's property.
A while back my brother, who's a car dealer, had a car stolen. The car was eventually found. When my brother went to try to get the car they gave him the runaround (can't get it until the case is completely investigated). My brother enlisted the help of a friend who worked for the president (Hippo), who found that a coronel who liked the car had taken it for his own use and even had a new music system installed, windows tinted, etc...Unbelievable. My brother was only able to get his car back (after a lot of hassle), because his friend had more pull than the coronel.
The moral of the story is that as AZB always says, make sure to make good connections in The DR and you'll have a much easier time living down there.

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I am DELIGHTED to see someone in charge of the National Police who does not LOOk like a gangster & who appears to be educated! That he is policing the National Police is an absolute bonus - long may his reign continue.

With regard to the stolen cars YES, all those who have NOT yet returned them should be prosecuted if/when found. My view on those who have returned them is that they should be reprimanded by the police commission (i.e. internally) rather than prosecuted, as they have at least attempted to make ammends. Hopefully many of them will be spilling the beans on their colleagues who were instrumental in organising the thefts in the first place!!

May this action, the attempt to illiminate litter pollution etc., lead to renewed efforts to control SOUND pollution from vehicles & more stringent vehicle tests to ensure safer vehicles on the road (who knows .... it might even lead on to drivers actually having to take DRIVING tests!!). - Grahame.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
This Is Just Some "Sizzle",no "Steak"!

Remember the "Helmet Law"? Lasted about a month.Had to have a drivers license law? Another month!"Seat Belts",Cell Phone?These sporadic enforcements are just "Free Fire Zones",that allow the police to collect money from the poor!
My nextdoor neighbor did lose "jepetta" number two however!
Guess that was easier to give back than the new second story on his house!
Even in the US Military,we say'RHIP",meaning "Rank Has It's Privileges!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
It is an irreparable damage to the morals and reputation of the people of Dominican Republic. This scam should really be known around the world. Bunch of animals, senseless neanderthals, everyone of those dam police crooks them should do heavy time in jail. I'm ashamed of being dominican.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
This has been reported on CNN and all around the world, I was watching a Mexican news broadcast yesterday that carried the story.

Unfortunately, the international news media makes it sound like this case has been resoved and that justice is being done, cars returned etc.

As far as the whole shame and outcry aspect of this case, it doesn't look like the DR has any shame or dignity left after the Mejia government, and Leonel looks like he's going to be a big dissapointment as far as bringing any of the thieves to justice. Yeah a few people got fired and a few got demoted, a few even had to give back stolen cars (talk about severity) but untill we see prison terms and confiscations of estates it looks like this sort of thing will just keep going on.

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
Maybe Justice

MrMike said:
This has been reported on CNN and all around the world, I was watching a Mexican news broadcast yesterday that carried the story.

Unfortunately, the international news media makes it sound like this case has been resoved and that justice is being done, cars returned etc.

As far as the whole shame and outcry aspect of this case, it doesn't look like the DR has any shame or dignity left after the Mejia government, and Leonel looks like he's going to be a big dissapointment as far as bringing any of the thieves to justice. Yeah a few people got fired and a few got demoted, a few even had to give back stolen cars (talk about severity) but untill we see prison terms and confiscations of estates it looks like this sort of thing will just keep going on.

According to the story on the home page today, the legal advisor is asking to prosecute all involved. Hurray and finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :nervous:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
bienamor said:
According to the story on the home page today, the legal advisor is asking to prosecute all involved. Hurray and finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :nervous:

I am going to postpone the celebration till some of them are behind bars and I can go visit them with giftwrapped non-lubricated condoms for their cellmates.

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
Don't celebrate until you see them jailed. Anything ($) can turn the winds in their favour.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
how many are actually returning stuff

Well it must be said the effort alone stands out in the Dr.. how many are actually returned will remain to be seen..

As far as punishing the ones involved.. who will punish them and how will that be enforced? that's not gonna happen, to many involved..

Cheers,

MD

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
sad

MerengueDutchie said:
Well it must be said the effort alone stands out in the Dr.. how many are actually returned will remain to be seen..

As far as punishing the ones involved.. who will punish them and how will that be enforced? that's not gonna happen, to many involved..

Cheers,

MD

Sad but true! we are well into denial, justification(taken during drug bust) just did not inform owner, etc. Doubt if anything will be done, but at least for now it's still in the papers. Hoy still cannot get the names involved and probably never will,

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I'm reminded, in many ways, of some--

similar events in the South during my own 'growing up' years. The political bosses of the one and only Democratic Party(Republicans hadn't made inroads at that time) literally had a field day with the general population. None of the policeing agencies dared try to do anything about these activities because of the grief it would bring them. It wasn't until after WWII that the stranglehold these elements had began to break down and take a back seat. It still exists to a very small degree, but not so overwhelmingly so now as then.
Eventually, such a change will take place here. It's just that the country has to mature much more before that will happen.
Who knows, maybe lionel will be the one to begin those changes so absolutely necessary to effect that maturation process.
Just remember, it took almost 100 years, once the indignations took root, for the 'progressive' US to really mature, and that process isn't complete yet.

Texas Bill

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Texas Bill said:
similar events in the South during my own 'growing up' years. The political bosses of the one and only Democratic Party(Republicans hadn't made inroads at that time) literally had a field day with the general population. None of the policeing agencies dared try to do anything about these activities because of the grief it would bring them. It wasn't until after WWII that the stranglehold these elements had began to break down and take a back seat. It still exists to a very small degree, but not so overwhelmingly so now as then.
Eventually, such a change will take place here. It's just that the country has to mature much more before that will happen.
Who knows, maybe lionel will be the one to begin those changes so absolutely necessary to effect that maturation process.
Just remember, it took almost 100 years, once the indignations took root, for the 'progressive' US to really mature, and that process isn't complete yet.

Texas Bill

I agree, this is a process that takes time.. it can also easily derail if the next govt changes tack again..