How I confronted a tiguere (not a sankie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubia_gringa

May 19, 2004
Okay, I feel as though I need to give some background about myself in order to tell this story properly. I am 22 years old, and an attractive female (meaning that I?ve had boyfriends both in the United States and abroad, and I don?t have self-confidence issues). I lived in the Dominican Republic in 2003 (from January until June) doing a research project for my University, and volunteering in Batey San Isidro. I graduated in December, and held down a job at the State Senate until September 1, and decided to spend this year in Santo Domingo teaching English and volunteering, before entering Graduate school. I plan on studying Comparative Politics of the Caribbean, so my time here this year is justified.

Anyway, I got here on Saturday, and have been staying with friends, trying to get acclimated here again. I broke up with a boyfriend of mine about 3 months ago, so I am single. On Monday I went to check something out at UNIBE and was a bit lost. I turned to the first person that I saw, his name is Amaurys.

Amaurys is cute, but not super-hot, and at times wears ?"nerdy" glasses that appeal to the intellectual part of me. Talking with him, I found out that he is a U.S. resident (he still goes back there to visit, but his mom lives here, so he decided to attend the University here). Because of this, I felt safe for 2 reasons: He is allowed to return to visit the U.S. (he didn?t get kicked out because of crime) and because he wouldn?t be trying to use me, as sometimes I feel as though I am carrying a sign that screams "Walking Visa to the United States". He also has his own car (not too nice, but not a junker), works for the "Port Authority", and paid for everything when we went out (yes, I know for 3 whole days - but still, this story has a point). He told me that he didn?t have a girlfriend, but I called him "tiguere" as a joke, and it offended him. He met some of my dominicana friends and they all said he was "buena gente" and that he was not a tiguere. The fact that he is stable, economically speaking, and that he was attending the university (not UNIBE where I met him, but INTEC) for Civil Engineering, also seemed to be good characteristics. I remembered reading Hillbilly?s 3 Rules that can help you determine whether or not your novio/a is a sankie, and he seemed to pass the test.

Today I went with him to lunch, and then we went to INTEC because he had class. His mom called him on his cell phone, and when she asked where he was, he told her that he was with me, at INTEC.

A few minutes later, his phone rang again. He picked it up, and when the person asked where he was, he didn?t mention that I was with him. Somehow, I realized that that wasn?t right, so I asked him about it. He told me that he was talking with his boss, and that since he was skipping out on work to be with me, he had to lie to his boss. That didn?t sit well with me for some reason. So I grabbed his cellphone out of his hand and called back the phone number of the last call that he had received (we were already making quite a scene at INTEC, and I?m sure that a rubia fighting a guy for his cellphone may have been a bit amusing for a few onlookers).

A girl answered his phone. I didn?t know what to say, so I asked who she was. She said her name was "Reni". If I had actually been calling his boss, I would think that the person who answered the phone would have said something more than "Hello". Anyway, she then asked me who I was, and I told her that I was a friend of a friend, not wanting to say everything right then.

Well, we hung up, and then Amaurys told me that Reni was a girl who was in love with him, but he didn?t love her, blah blah blah. Suddenly, he got a text message from that same number that said (this is a loose translation of her Spanish) "Diablo, who just called me from your phone?"... So I asked him why she would be asking such a thing.

He took his cellphone away, but I had already memorized Reni?s phone number. I had a Communicard with me, so I told him that I was going to call her back if he didn?t explain to me what was REALLY going on.

At this point I was calling him a mentiroso in a fairly loud voice, and I saw a few people giving us weird looks. He told me that we should go up by his class, and that we could talk there. I followed him. He tried to convince me that nothing was going on. I said, "Well, if nothing is going on, why don?t you call her back, and then maybe we can all hang out together. Wouldn?t that be fun?"...He said that we could do that later, and that I should go to a nearby internet site while he was in class, and then we would definitely call her when his class was over. I asked what she would say if I called her. His response was that, "She will tell you that she?s my novia because she?s in love with me". I said that he should be honest with her if he doesn?t love her, instead of leading her on. He said that he didn?t want to break her heart if she was in love with him.

I marched down the stairs toward the Verizon phones. He followed me, saying that he would NOW tell me the truth. I said, "What truth, you have alledgedly told me ?the truth?about 5 times today already"

He proceeded to tell me that she loves him, but he doesn?t love her. So I said that I was going to talk with her. Yes, this is when I become a heartless b..ch in this story.

I went to the Verizon phone and called her number. I asked her if she was Amaurys?s boyfriend. She said she was. I told her that he and I had been hanging out the past three days and that he had told me that he didn?t have a girlfriend. I told her that we hadn?t done anything (because we really didn?t- we hadn?t even kissed...we had held hands and cuddled a bit, but NOTHING more than that). I said that I had thought that maybe Amaurys and I would date, but that if she was really his girlfriend, that I wouldn?t feel very comfortable seeing him anymore (obviously). She said that she had been his girlfriend up until this point, but that she wasn?t anymore. I told her I was sorry (because I really, honestly felt bad for her - wow did I ever feel bad for her)...She told me not to worry, but as she was telling me this, I could hear her voice start to break, and she started to cry. I said I was sorry again, and then said good-bye.

Amaurys was VERY upset with me, saying that I hurt Reni?s feelings. I told him that he had hurt my feelings, and why did he treat women like toys? I told him to give me the keys to his car, so that way I could get my things out of his car and head to my friend?s house. He told me not to, and said "Let?s talk about this".

I said, "Okay, let?s talk. I respect myself too much to put up with this sort of s..t. I know that I am a good, intelligent, and attractive person, and that I deserve a man who respects me. I don?t want to be with men who treat women like this!".

Amaurys then told me "the truth". That he had " a thing" with her, but that their relationship had problems, and he was hoping to find a new girlfriend and THEN break up with her. I told him that I didn?t want to have any part in this, and that a strong person would end a relationship that they thought had problems that couldn?t be fixed. He said that he just couldn?t do that.

He ended up giving me a ride to a site close to my friend?s house (better than taking a gua-gua). I wouldn?t let him take me to my friend?s actual house, because I told him that I wouldn?t sleep well knowing that he knew where I was, because I have now lost all trust and confidence in him.

Sorry if this post makes me sound like I have a big ego, but I know that I deserve better than him. I don?t put the lyrics to Madonna?s "Express Yourself" next to my mirror for nothing!

Also, I do feel bad for Reni, but I am also glad that she knows that her novio was not the most faithful man in the world. Every girl deserves to know that, in my opinion.

prismaspeck

Aug 29, 2004
It takes guts to do what you did. If every woman stood up for herself the way you did...guys would stop their womanizing ways.

good for you.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Since you decided to share your story, I am going to give my opinion. I don't agree with the way you handled the situation. You initially became suspicious when he was speaking on the phone with "someone" and didn't mention that he was with you. Ok, fine. But then you go and grab the phone out of his hand and dial back the number? Well, turns out your suspicions were correct but what if you had been wrong? What if it was someone else that had called him? Now you would have made him look bad. I think grabbing his phone like you did was disrespectful to him and extremely agressive and controlling. If you had been my girlfriend and did that to me, the relationship would be over....because I would never treat you that disrespectfully. You should have tried to mask your suspicions and had your antenae up instead. Sooner or later, you would have caught him. The way you did may have accomplished the end result sooner but it was wrong.

As well as that, when you were SURE that your suspicions were warranted and that he had another girlfriend, why did you feel the need to dismantle his other relationship. He was playing you and you found out. Then it was time to walk away. Don't pretend that you did it as a favor to the other girl because you don't give a **** about her. You did it to be vindictive and to punish him and make him look like an ***. You could have shown more class than he had shown and walked away. Instead, you lowered yourself BELOW his level and made sure you demolished as much as you could before you left. I'll bet that by doing so, instead of him regretting cheating on you, he is more likely to be happy that you are gone.

Larry

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Regardless of what you say,you have a HUGE self-esteme problem!!!!!

You state that you have never kissed this guy,and have only had a few "Dates".Then why would you go "Ballistic" when he gets a phone call from someone? What difference does it make?You snatch a cell phone from my hand,and call the number back,I take you for a "Loony Tune",and head for the door.
Don't worry about Reni,she is Dominican! Amaoury will just say that he met a "Flakey" Americana,and that as soon as he "Bags" her a few times,he will dump her!

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
If you only knew him for 3 days, what business is it of yours if he is with other girls?

And girls wonder why guys are afraid of committment...

Last edited:

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
Larry said:
I think grabbing his phone like you did was disrespectful to him and extremely agressive and controlling. If you had been my girlfriend and did that to me, the relationship would be over...

^^^ true.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Jesus!

rubia_gringa said:
He took his cellphone away, but I had already memorized Reni?s phone number. I had a Communicard with me, so I told him that I was going to call her back if he didn?t explain to me what was REALLY going on.

At this point I was calling him a mentiroso in a fairly loud voice, and I saw a few people giving us weird looks. He told me that we should go up by his class, and that we could talk there. I followed him. He tried to convince me that nothing was going on. I said, "Well, if nothing is going on, why don?t you call her back, and then maybe we can all hang out together. Wouldn?t that be fun?"...He said that we could do that later, and that I should go to a nearby internet site while he was in class, and then we would definitely call her when his class was over. I asked what she would say if I called her. His response was that, "She will tell you that she?s my novia because she?s in love with me". I said that he should be honest with her if he doesn?t love her, instead of leading her on. He said that he didn?t want to break her heart if she was in love with him.

I went to the Verizon phone and called her number. I asked her if she was Amaurys?s boyfriend. She said she was. I told her that he and I had been hanging out the past three days and that he had told me that he didn?t have a girlfriend. I told her that we hadn?t done anything (because we really didn?t- we hadn?t even kissed...we had held hands and cuddled a bit, but NOTHING more than that). I said that I had thought that maybe Amaurys and I would date, but that if she was really his girlfriend, that I wouldn?t feel very comfortable seeing him anymore (obviously). She said that she had been his girlfriend up until this point, but that she wasn?t anymore. I told her I was sorry (because I really, honestly felt bad for her - wow did I ever feel bad for her)...She told me not to worry, but as she was telling me this, I could hear her voice start to break, and she started to cry. I said I was sorry again, and then said good-bye.

Amaurys then told me "the truth". That he had " a thing" with her, but that their relationship had problems, and he was hoping to find a new girlfriend and THEN break up with her. I told him that I didn?t want to have any part in this, and that a strong person would end a relationship that they thought had problems that couldn?t be fixed. He said that he just couldn?t do that.

Sorry if this post makes me sound like I have a big ego, but I know that I deserve better than him. I don?t put the lyrics to Madonna?s "Express Yourself" next to my mirror for nothing!

Also, I do feel bad for Reni, but I am also glad that she knows that her novio was not the most faithful man in the world. Every girl deserves to know that, in my opinion.
And this happened after knowing him for just 3 days and not being your boyfriend?. Sorry to tell you but your self-esteem is very, very low. To make a "show" in front of people for a guy that lied to you over and over again it's beyond me. The way that you carried yourself, I am sure that the two of you will end up killing yourselves because this "relationship" started on the wrong foot. He is who he is and you acted like a lunatic with someone that you had just met. Good luck to the two of you, you will need it. If you would had grabbed my cell phone, I would had walked away from you in a hurry but not before telling you a few "nice" things.

Last edited:

rubia_gringa

May 19, 2004
liam1 said:
^^^ true.

Yup, it might have been over-aggressive and controlling...I will agree with you on that part. I think that in a way it is my business as to whether or not he was seeing other girls, because he asked me if I was seeing other guys. If he told me that he wasn?t seeing anyone else (which he did tell me), and then started acting strange when someone called (and he was acting very strange), then I did have reason to be suspicious. I don?t want to waste my time with a guy who lies to me. I didn?t lie to him, so I would expect him to be honest with me, too.

He also had asked me if I wanted to be his novia. I told him that I wanted to get to know him better before we put a label on things. So for these reasons, I think that although I may have reacted a bit neurotically and disrespectfully, I feel as though he also was disrespectful to me. It?s also interesting to note that he apologized to me the entire time for lying, and said that he had learned a lot today; that he had missed out on a person who was nice, attractive, and cared about others, and that he needed to think about it. Although that could have been a lie, he didn?t once tell me to calm down or that I was stepping out of my boundaries. Anyway, it?s interesting to read what you guys are writing, as it is offering me a whole new perspective on my day. Take care :)

rubia_gringa

May 19, 2004
miguel said:
And this happened after knowing him for just 3 days and not being your boyfriend?. Sorry to tell you but your self steem is very, very low. To make a "show" in front of people for a guy that lied to you over and over again it's beyond me. The way that you carried yourself, I am sure that the two of you will end up killing yourselves because this "relationship" started on the wrong foot. He is who he is and you acted like a lunatic with someone that you had just met. Good luck to the two of you, you will need it.

Don?t worry, Miguel, him and I won?t be having a relationship. I don?t think that I have low self-esteem, but I guess no one can really judge themselves as clearly as those who are from the outside looking in.

perfctbratt

Sep 6, 2004
Good & Bad

I believe if he would have told you from the beginning he had a g/f you wouldnt have been put in the situation...But I think seeing as how you had only been "hanging" out for 3 days, that was a little quick to get your hopes up and go crazy when someone called him. My opinion if you are not technically together even though you may have feelings, you have no right to judge or justify what the other person is or is not doing, seeing as how you two are not together, But again dishonesty is by far not the appropiate way to act either so.???

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
rubia_gringa said:
Okay, I feel as though I need to give some background about myself in order to tell this story properly. I am 22 years old...

This post confirms to me why I no longer live in the USA or Europe, thanks :)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Someone help me please!!! I don't get the point to this thread but I do have a good quote that seems appropriate at this time.

I think I have a disease called spontaneous disclosure. I need to tell everyone my life story instantaneously."

Kelly Ripa

Even as a women I don't understand ripping the phone from a guy's hand after three dates. Calling him names without knowing. :eek:

What's this guy's name? Man run for the hills.

What will you be like as a real girlfriend? Too scary

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Anna Coniglio said:
What will you be like as a real girlfriend? Too scary

Who the hell would want to find out?

Amaurys may have some issues but they are nothing compared to rubia_gringa's.

RG, what do you do when one of your hunches is wrong?
Do you think a simple apology makes everything okay?
Apologies are fine for accidents and mistakes but your behavior is pathetic and inexcusable.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I enjoyed the read

Just goes to show you that you must use your head and be weary. Men are men anywhere, and I think you know that.

Personally, I think you handled the situation pretty good. And this would make for a nice scene in many a teen movie....

Keep studying, that will be better for you for a while...

HB

bankbwoy

Mar 12, 2004
only 3 days?

You only knew him for 3 days and did that? It seems like you might have fell in love with him on those days to act that way. Anyway, who cares who he talks to cause he is not your boyfriend. If you want to take revenge on this guy just juice him for his loot and don't give him any......He is not your man so pimp him and send me a few bucks if you can:)

mnk16

Sep 9, 2004
the typical male response--ignore it

Sounds like those were all guys who had cheated on or were cheating on their girlfriends who said all the negative stuff to you (or just REALLY inane women). If your hunch would have been wrong, you would have hung up right away and no prob, no harm done. And as far as him thinking you were crazy b/c of it, too bad. His loss. What kind of an idiot WOULD trust anyone she or he had only know for 3 days? It's people who act "respectful" (e.g. meek) who get walked all over. Look at the woman in Utah who took her fiancee's word that he was going to med school, finally found out he hadn't even graduated from college yet, and then got murdered by him. Way to nip the loser in the bud pronto. It's such bs, too, because you know these guys responding negatively to what you did are the same guys who totally control who their girlfriends see and where they go. Then, they act like YOU'RE acting "nutty" or "aggressive" when you do what they can easily get away with without these biased judgements. It's just because you are a woman. How disrespectful. Nice double-standards fellows. He was a totally spineless jerk (did I mention how much I hate liars?) and what you did was perfect. Someone with low self-esteem would have let him get away with it. And as far as his girlfriend goes-- only a guy could think you were being vindictive. Well, girls are stupid, too, they always seem to blame the other girl and not their boyfriend. There may be some blame with the "other" woman if she knew she was the other woman, but it's still mainly the guy's fault because he's the one who has commited to a relationship and therefore has to learn to think with his head and not something else. 1) I'd prefer to know if my boyfriend were a mujeriego, telling her was sparing her a lot of pain in the long run (if she's smart enough to dump him) 2) she's missing the point if she gets pissed at you. He's the jerk, bc none of this would have happened if he hadn't decided to pursue you. 3) I would think LESS of you if you had an opportunity to tell her and you didn't. That's like knowing someone is stealing from the company and looking the other way. And you wonder why we have corporate psychopaths like in ENRON. Guys (well, people really) like that are unfortunately all too common (as we can see from the string), and they should be called out just like you did. All this crap about you not "officially" being together is also b.s., no one should be asking someone to be their novia while they still have one. It's not a matter of you "falling in love with someone" or "having feelings for someone," it's a matter of being respected like a human being should be (and not treated like a little girl by some disrespectful womanizer who just sees you as another vagina to conquest). I just love how a woman stands up for herself and men label her response as irrational and tell her she's blinded by her "emotions." It's just their way of trying to perpetuate machismo with some patriarchial nostalgia that should remain in the 60s where we left it.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Such a long boring post

for a "D?j?-vue". What's the matter with you girls? The females of the 2000's are in no way like the girls of my days. So gullible, so naive, so st*pid. Maybe I'm just getting old. I think the girls in my days were a lot smarter or maybe the Dominican sun and beaches have got to you. I've got to stop reading these threads. Bye bye. LOL

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
mnk16

You call it the typical male response but it is the truth. The fact of the matter is that she was immediately suspicious because she had insecurities to begin with...that's why she grabbed the phone like she did. Additionally, upon finding out she was being used, she felt inadequate and humiliated and that upset her to the point where she threw a fit and destroyed the other relationship the guy was having. The response was a defense mechanism to supress her own feelings of lack of self worth. It was the resurfacing of the feeling of inadequacy that upset her so much. Obviously, this is a recurring problem. She then came to post the story here in the hopes of developing a cheering section that she could periodically come back to because she felt the anticipated posts of "You Go Girl" would appease her recurring feelings of inadequacy as she mulls over the failed attempt at a relationship and acceptance from the man over the coming days. It is a self esteem issue. Period.

Larry

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
mnk16 said:
If your hunch would have been wrong, you would have hung up right away and no prob, no harm done. And as far as him thinking you were crazy b/c of it, too bad. His loss.

You must be single.
I can't imagine how any man could compete with how much you are so full of yourself.

Any person who would accept this sort of behavior as normal deserves all of the pain and anguish that should come their way.

Despite your ignorant generalizations, many of the people who would find such conduct repulsive are fine, honest, trustworthy, decent upstanding human beings.

The ones who would accept this sort of treatment are the liars and losers.

Status
Not open for further replies.