Jamaica Hotels Sending Guests to DR

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Talked with one of the managers in the Casa Marina Hotel chain this morning. He told me large numbers of guests from Jamaica hotels are arriving today in the DR. He said the hotels there are sending their guests here to finish their vacations. The Jamaica guests are being spread around between a number of hotels.

These are guests who have already spent part of their vacation in Jamaica, but are being moved out in anticiapation of the arrival of Ivan.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
I am staying the Grand Flamenco in Playa Dorada at the moment, we received about 300 tourists from Jamaica about 3 days ago.

I feel sorry for some of them because they were over there to get married so their plans have had to change. About 25% of them are still walking round moaning now (3 days later). Some of them are saying that they weren't given the option to stay??????!!!??!?! Who would want to? 140 m.p.h winds knocking out the hotel windows......that's not for me! I will post more when i get home.........

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
What these hotels in The DR should do is treat these people like kings and win them over. If they do, guess where most of them will be going next time they go on vacation...

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Contra!!

suarezn said:
What these hotels in The DR should do is treat these people like kings and win them over. If they do, guess where most of them will be going next time they go on vacation...
That would be the smart thing to do. I just hope that they thought about it.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
The staff are trying their absolute best, however..........some people will not be 'won' over. If their plans were to go t Jamaica and they had their heart set on it then they are bound to complain about some little things like having to pay for your Tia Maria and the fact that they cant have a 'cheese toastie' at lunch?!?!?!?

Some people are getting on with it and having a good time and others are just picking at everything - one guy even turned his nose up at the fact that the cigarettes were free ?!?!?!?! eh?

Listerrose

May 31, 2004
I'd hazard a guess that most of these 'moaners' are British tourists - we can't seem to enjoy ourselves unless there is something to complain about!

300 new guests at one hotel? Will this influx of people effect room availability for those due to arrive this week?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
tired_boy said:
Some of them are saying that they weren't given the option to stay??????!!!??!?!
I happen to agree with them, but for different reasons. Bringing them here was a waste of fuel. The only defense I can think of is that they have no frigging idea what a hurricane is.

What a bunch of putzes. Two countries for the price of one and they complain. :tired:

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
Pib said:
I happen to agree with them, but for different reasons. Bringing them here was a waste of fuel. The only defense I can think of is that they have no frigging idea what a hurricane is.

What a bunch of putzes. Two countries for the price of one and they complain. :tired:
I agree. And Red Stripe beer is overrated, anyway.

hooptie2

Feb 9, 2004
Pib said:
.... The only defense I can think of is that they have no frigging idea what a hurricane is.

I guess I can understand them complaining for 1 day-after all they had their hearts set on vacationing in Jamaica & I'm sure it was confusing & stressful getting relocated but you would think they would be thinking "thank god the hotels got us out of there!" You are right...none of them must have any clue what a hurricane is all about. How does that saying go? you can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time! (i think) judi

hooptie2 said:
You are right...none of them must have any clue what a hurricane is all about. How does that saying go? you can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time! (i think) judi

"One thing that cannot be legislated is intelligence."
It is hard to believe that people would bitch about being taken out of harms way, I can understand some being upset at wedding plans being changed and it would be too much of a hassle to have it done in the DR unless the laws were changed.

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
I agree

suarezn said:

I agree with Suarezn, the hotels in the DR, should make the most of the increase toursits, that they may not have had the opportunity to come in contact with. Win them over, and they may return in the future. B/c they will never forget having their vacation in Jamaica cut short, but will also remember where they were sent and the time spent in that new location. Could be a good thing...
lisa

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Listerrose said:
I'd hazard a guess that most of these 'moaners' are British tourists - we can't seem to enjoy ourselves unless there is something to complain about!

Yes, they are British. Your observation on British tourists matches my own. They seem to either drink to excess or complain to excess.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
tired_boy said:
I am staying the Grand Flamenco in Playa Dorada at the moment, we received about 300 tourists from Jamaica about 3 days ago.

I feel sorry for some of them because they were over there to get married so their plans have had to change. About 25% of them are still walking round moaning now (3 days later). Some of them are saying that they weren't given the option to stay??????!!!??!?! Who would want to? 140 m.p.h winds knocking out the hotel windows......that's not for me! I will post more when i get home.........

They should be happy to be alive and able to have a wedding in the first place!!

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Listerrose said:

300 new guests at one hotel? Will this influx of people effect room availability for those due to arrive this week?

Well........some of them were only here for 1 day before they had the choice of going to Sun Village or Sousa Bay Hotel. So it was full here for the first day or two but then some were moved about to accomodate those who were actually booked in here.

stormer

Apr 27, 2004
good one

Jerry K said:
They'll have to work overtime with this influx of touries.

Lol, this is true. But as for the people feeling about being relocated. Jamaica and the DR are 2 completey different destinations, with 2 totally different price tags.....I hope they will get some of their money back. :eek:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
MOre info

Actually it wasn't the hotels that chose to move them it was the companies who brought them to Jamaica in the first place.

All the british tour operators made the decision to get their tourists out of Jamaica.

You are correct - Jamaica is priced very differently then here. I am sure many will ask for credits but probably for all the wrong reasons.

I too hope that the hotels, staff and everyone else here goes out of their way to make these displaced tourists comfortable. We want them to go home and say what a great time they had in the DR!!!

However, I for one am not holding my breath waiting for that!!!

Yes the Sankies in Sosua are working overtime.....

Yan-Yan

Sep 22, 2003
... And guess what? Some of them moaned so much that they got transferred again!... Right here to Antigua!... And now we have Tropical Storm Jeanne right over us... It rained all night last night and has rained all day today!!

Of course, they are still complaining!! ...They don't deserve any better! :tired:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Complaining

I am amazed at the amount of complaining some people can do. Don't they know it is way cheaper to just stay home and bitch???

Listerrose

May 31, 2004
stormer said:
I hope they will get some of their money back. :eek:

Why should they get any money back - afterall they booked a holiday to a carribbean location during hurricane season - they are lucky their tour operator lifted them out to finish thier holiday in a less effected area and should be thankful for it! I'm embarrassed to call myself British sometimes. :cry: