Opening a computer and printer shop in DR

dilemme

Sep 10, 2004
I, i'm Canadian and looking to open a computer and printer repare shop.
Do you think that theres room for a compagny like that ?

Thanks
Danyt

spiderman

Jun 17, 2002
cool

Maybe in the capital dude, thats what i do for a living here in NYc. If you can do it as a servicew for the big companys there can be big bucks, and the fact that your a foreighner really sells. Btw need any employees? lol

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
We have plenty in the DR. Being a foreigner is not going to help your business.

How much time have you spent in this market?
Do you know who the competition is?
What part of the DR are you looking to locate in?
Are you 100% bilingual?
How are you going to be better than the many other computer repair shops here?

If you give us some answers, we can give you specifics that will help the decsion making process.

dilemme

Sep 10, 2004
Good question Robert

To answer your question

How much time have you spent in this market?

I have 10yrs experience and since 5 yrs i specialize my self in fixing priter, fax and scanner all brand ink-jet, laser and dot matrix.

Do you know who the competition is?

For now no but i'v been in business for my self for the past 2 yrs so i know how to do my work for an opening

What part of the DR are you looking to locate in?

Where is the biggest potential

Are you 100% bilingual?

For now speaking Anglish and French and i'm learning spanish

How are you going to be better than the many other computer repair shops here?

Because my speciality is in reparing printer fax and scanner.
the client i look to service is big compagny.

Thank you for your comment.

BTW Spiderman i maybe need an associate.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Over the years I have seen many computer/printer repair shops come and go. The ones that survive usually have a brand attached to them, meaning they are the official dealer.

I think you need to study the local market. Just because you know what your doing, doesn't mean you will get your foot in the door to big companies. It just does not work like that here, it's all about who you know, not what. This is the #1 reason I see many "gringo" businesses fail.

Good luck and feel free to post any questions you have here.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
So Right

Robert said:
It just does not work like that here, it's all about who you know, not what. This is the #1 reason I see many "gringo" businesses fail.

Robert is so correct. Doing business of any type in the Dominican Republic is all about relationships. Some relationships can be built rapidly and others may take years to develop.

Regardless of your knowledge and the amount of capital you have with out these relationships almost all gringo businesses will fail.

Best of luck in your quest.

Charlie

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I operate such a repair shop at a loss to provide warrantee service for my computer store. There is no money in it, it just helps me sell computers to have a repair shop. Problem is you can't charge much for labor here, and most people have a cousin who knows just enough about computers to really mess stuff up so people won't bring you their equipment until it's completely hosed anyway.