Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sun, Sand and Sex

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Sun, Sand and Sex

I read this article today in Toronto’s Sunday Sun (Sept 12/04) and thought that I would share it with the other people on dr1. Since joining this site a few months ago and actually seeing this in the Dominican Republic during my four months there, I have read an incredible amount of things about prostitution on this site. For that reason, hopefully the men out there who are engaging in these activities will read this article first and think about it twice. Also, perhaps it can be an eye opener for the rest of us who don’t realize how serious the problem is.

Sun, Sand and Sex.
    Exclusive Series – Part 1 of 6
    By Jose Rodriguez

Deleted due to copyright

Although I did personally see prostitutes on the streets and in the bars of Puerto Plata, I found it very difficult to understand the degree of prostitution that actually takes place. It wasn't until some time after I arrived that I realized it was common practice even for the Domincans to have had many prostitutes. (I'm not saying all of them) I also never realized that AIDS was so common there either until maybe a good 3 and a half months into my trip when I heard some other extranjeras talking about it. I guess this article kind of puts things into perspective for me and has helped me realize the seriousness of the problem, since so many children are involved. (Which I didn't see when I was there)

lilcanadiangal
    Last edited by Robert; 09-12-2004 at 06:56 PM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

It's too bad that these are the issues that get publicity and not the efforts of people who come here and make positive contribution or try too.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Somehow I don't like this post, I don't think prostitution is a serious problem as much as some people have serious problems with prostitution.

Yeah Columbus was a genocidal tyrant, who didn't know that?

Yeah people come here for lots of reasons and the working girls are one of them. Who didn't know that?

There are alot of other reasons people (Canadians included) come to the DR.

There are also alot of reasons people choose to prostitute themselves, and they must be good ones because it is the world's oldest profession, and they do it in every single culture too, including Canada.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Raysa gets aroung

copyright - Deleted
    Last edited by Robert; 09-12-2004 at 06:58 PM.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

In a country where those making $3 a day is classified as middle class, a child who can earn $100 or more a night becomes the family cash flow.

ISN'T THAT THE BIGGEST BULL**** I'VE HEARD IN A LONG TIME FROM A WRITER, I'M MAKING CLOSE IF NOT MORE THANT $5,000 THOUSAND DOLLARS A WEEK AND CAN'T BUY THE LAND ROVERS I SEE AROUND MY NEIGHBORHOOD.

i wish i knew how they do it. someone shed some light here.

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Baloney.....

Quote Originally Posted by MrMike
    Somehow I don't like this post, .
    It's the article itself that is upsetting. This reporter should have his fingers chopped off for reporting it the way he did.
    He is using a lot of half truths to sell a story.
    There are so many inconsistencies and non clinical observations that I consider the whole thing trash.
    The guy is 8 years late with this story when a lot of it was closer to being the truth.

“I love Canadians,” says Raysa, a 17-year old prostitute"
    Prostitutes love any nationality and if you are German, they love Germans. If you are American, they love Americans, etc.

"The island is so poor, gas stations and strip malls are guarded with private security forces with shotguns for fear of robbery at the hands of well-armed locals."
    They carry shotguns because the police are semi useless and not quick enough to protect them.

"Until a recent national election, electricity was only available for about 3 hours a day because the government couldn’t afford the bill.
    Another astute BS observation. Hippo didn't pay the bill for his own personal gain.

"Many of the children used in the sex trade here are used and abused by wealthy locals while a growing number serve as sex slaves for even wealthier foreigners.
    All my friends have sex slaves.

"Most are between 12 and 17 years old and MAIS, a non-governmental agency working to stop child prostitution in the Dominican, says as many as 15% of them are HIV-positive."
    Anybody who has been here when the goverment has it's census and has seen how accurate those stats are, knows to not pay attention to the above stats which should show an accuracy factor of + or - 6000%.

"He offers the kids games and candy to come visit him at his house. “It’s sickening.”
    Is Michael Jackson in town?

We all know that there is a need for progress and most of us are doing our share. The DR has improved in leaps and bounds over the 13 years I have been here.
    This shoddy reporting serves only to attract sex fiends and pedophiles and chase away good folks.
    BTW. Is the Toronto Sunday Sun a tabloid newspaper, with aliens and snakes with human heads, etc?
    If not, somebody should get in touch with this guy's boss and let him know what a bunch of crap he just printed.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

The article was just another example of how the media go out of their way to sell newspapers. How cares about facts or the truth?

I personally get sick and tired of these BS reporters that spend a few days in the DR and all of a sudden become experts. What's worse are the ones that spend a few hours on the Internet surfing for stories and never actual come here. They rank right up there with the tourists that are also "arm chair" experts.

More holes than swiss cheese...

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I did a little bit of research. The guys is actually from The Calgary Sun. Below is his e-mail, in case anyone wants to contact him. BTW, note that this was just part 1 of seven stories that apparently he plans to publish. Not sure if the rest are all DR related.

jose.rodriguez@calgarysun.com

I took the liberty of sending him an e-mail directing him to this forum, so maybe he wants to come and answer some of his statements.
    Last edited by suarezn; 09-12-2004 at 07:22 PM.

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by suarezn
    I did a little bit of research. The guys is actually from The Calgary Sun. Below is his e-mail, in case anyone wants to contact him. BTW, not that this was just part 1 of seven stories that apparently he plans to publish. Not sure if the rest are all DR related.

jose.rodriguez@calgarysun.com

I took the liberty of sending him an e-mail directing him to this forum, so maybe he wants to come and answer some of his statements.
    Nice job, Suarezn.
    Let's see what he's made out of.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bad journalism

To me this guy just didn't understand how these beach vendors think and work. One should know that these vendors will always say they can get anything or at least know somebody who can. Just to make a few easy Pesos.

Exaggeration is their second name...

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast