Sun, Sand and Sex

lilcanadiangal

Jan 23, 2004
I read this article today in Toronto?s Sunday Sun (Sept 12/04) and thought that I would share it with the other people on dr1. Since joining this site a few months ago and actually seeing this in the Dominican Republic during my four months there, I have read an incredible amount of things about prostitution on this site. For that reason, hopefully the men out there who are engaging in these activities will read this article first and think about it twice. Also, perhaps it can be an eye opener for the rest of us who don?t realize how serious the problem is.

Sun, Sand and Sex.
Exclusive Series ? Part 1 of 6
By Jose Rodriguez

Deleted due to copyright

Although I did personally see prostitutes on the streets and in the bars of Puerto Plata, I found it very difficult to understand the degree of prostitution that actually takes place. It wasn't until some time after I arrived that I realized it was common practice even for the Domincans to have had many prostitutes. (I'm not saying all of them) I also never realized that AIDS was so common there either until maybe a good 3 and a half months into my trip when I heard some other extranjeras talking about it. I guess this article kind of puts things into perspective for me and has helped me realize the seriousness of the problem, since so many children are involved. (Which I didn't see when I was there)

lilcanadiangal

Last edited by a moderator:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Somehow I don't like this post, I don't think prostitution is a serious problem as much as some people have serious problems with prostitution.

Yeah Columbus was a genocidal tyrant, who didn't know that?

Yeah people come here for lots of reasons and the working girls are one of them. Who didn't know that?

There are alot of other reasons people (Canadians included) come to the DR.

There are also alot of reasons people choose to prostitute themselves, and they must be good ones because it is the world's oldest profession, and they do it in every single culture too, including Canada.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
In a country where those making $3 a day is classified as middle class, a child who can earn $100 or more a night becomes the family cash flow.

ISN'T THAT THE BIGGEST BULLSHIT I'VE HEARD IN A LONG TIME FROM A WRITER, I'M MAKING CLOSE IF NOT MORE THANT $5,000 THOUSAND DOLLARS A WEEK AND CAN'T BUY THE LAND ROVERS I SEE AROUND MY NEIGHBORHOOD.

i wish i knew how they do it. someone shed some light here.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Baloney.....

MrMike said:
Somehow I don't like this post, .
It's the article itself that is upsetting. This reporter should have his fingers chopped off for reporting it the way he did.
He is using a lot of half truths to sell a story.
There are so many inconsistencies and non clinical observations that I consider the whole thing trash.
The guy is 8 years late with this story when a lot of it was closer to being the truth.

?I love Canadians,? says Raysa, a 17-year old prostitute"
Prostitutes love any nationality and if you are German, they love Germans. If you are American, they love Americans, etc.

"The island is so poor, gas stations and strip malls are guarded with private security forces with shotguns for fear of robbery at the hands of well-armed locals."
They carry shotguns because the police are semi useless and not quick enough to protect them.

"Until a recent national election, electricity was only available for about 3 hours a day because the government couldn?t afford the bill.
Another astute BS observation. Hippo didn't pay the bill for his own personal gain.

"Many of the children used in the sex trade here are used and abused by wealthy locals while a growing number serve as sex slaves for even wealthier foreigners.
All my friends have sex slaves.

"Most are between 12 and 17 years old and MAIS, a non-governmental agency working to stop child prostitution in the Dominican, says as many as 15% of them are HIV-positive."
Anybody who has been here when the goverment has it's census and has seen how accurate those stats are, knows to not pay attention to the above stats which should show an accuracy factor of + or - 6000%.

"He offers the kids games and candy to come visit him at his house. ?It?s sickening.?
Is Michael Jackson in town?

We all know that there is a need for progress and most of us are doing our share. The DR has improved in leaps and bounds over the 13 years I have been here.
This shoddy reporting serves only to attract sex fiends and pedophiles and chase away good folks.
BTW. Is the Toronto Sunday Sun a tabloid newspaper, with aliens and snakes with human heads, etc?
If not, somebody should get in touch with this guy's boss and let him know what a bunch of crap he just printed.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The article was just another example of how the media go out of their way to sell newspapers. How cares about facts or the truth?

I personally get sick and tired of these BS reporters that spend a few days in the DR and all of a sudden become experts. What's worse are the ones that spend a few hours on the Internet surfing for stories and never actual come here. They rank right up there with the tourists that are also "arm chair" experts.

More holes than swiss cheese...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I did a little bit of research. The guys is actually from The Calgary Sun. Below is his e-mail, in case anyone wants to contact him. BTW, note that this was just part 1 of seven stories that apparently he plans to publish. Not sure if the rest are all DR related.

jose.rodriguez@calgarysun.com

I took the liberty of sending him an e-mail directing him to this forum, so maybe he wants to come and answer some of his statements.

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
suarezn said:
I did a little bit of research. The guys is actually from The Calgary Sun. Below is his e-mail, in case anyone wants to contact him. BTW, not that this was just part 1 of seven stories that apparently he plans to publish. Not sure if the rest are all DR related.

jose.rodriguez@calgarysun.com

I took the liberty of sending him an e-mail directing him to this forum, so maybe he wants to come and answer some of his statements.
Nice job, Suarezn.
Let's see what he's made out of.

locofoto

Aug 18, 2004
Bad journalism

To me this guy just didn't understand how these beach vendors think and work. One should know that these vendors will always say they can get anything or at least know somebody who can. Just to make a few easy Pesos.

Exaggeration is their second name...

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
to many readers sun newspapers are tabloid quality, known mostly for their pages and pages of ads and the daily "Sunshine Girl". many articles are shorter than the summaries on the DR1 newspage, so for an article of this length to be printed is quite unusual.

Part 2 in today's paper continues story. lord knows how this can be spun out for 7 days.

mob

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
mobrouser said:
to many readers sun newspapers are tabloid quality, known mostly for their pages and pages of ads and the daily "Sunshine Girl". many articles are shorter than the summaries on the DR1 newspage, so for an article of this length to be printed is quite unusual.

Part 2 in today's paper continues story. lord knows how this can be spun out for 7 days.

mob

That is "how-to-guide" on promoting sex tourism in the Dominican Republic.

I wrote to them. Let's see if they reply.

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
Robert said:
That is "how-to-guide" on promoting sex tourism in the Dominican Republic.

I wrote to them. Let's see if they reply.

Part 2 was a little creepy, how procure little girls in DR.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I must have missed the part where he was able to procure an underage girl. He said he was told by people that they could get him underage girls, but nobody ever came through. The girls at the place he went to were 18+, according to them...

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
This guy goes into detail about how he solicited an underage prostitute and attempted to "groom" a minor (legal term that describes being friendly with an underage person for the purpose of making them ameanable to later advances) and contributed to the dilinquency etc. I'm no lawyer, and I don't know about Canadians, but an American could most likely go to jail for that alone, regardless of the facts that it was reportedly done for the purpose of investigation (since he is not a law enforcement officer) or the fact that it happened on foreign soil.

To top it off, not only is he encouraging the locals he encountered, but most likely recruiting a fresh wave of pervs who will no doubt be making newbie posts later this week asking for directions to the beaches with the 15 year olds for 100 bucks.

I say we report him to the RCMP or something. If they won't do anything about it, we hire a Dominican family to claim it was their daughter, she was underage, and they did alot more than just hang out. Maybe he will decide he's better off researching Canadian prostitutes.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Let me see:

All of the girls mentioned in the article say that they are over 18. He has no proof either way.

That dude in the picture can't be 17. He could be, but what does he have to do with anything anyways.

When the guy says "15 to 120" the 'journalist' thinks 120 is an exaggeration, but 15 isn't.

So far no word from anybody else. No official comments, no experts.

15-year olds are not children. A common mistake is to equate under-age sex (or statutory rape legally speaking) with child molestation. It isn't the same, which doesn't make the former any more legal, or acceptable, but they are nowhere near the same league.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
Pib said:
Let me see:

All of the girls mentioned in the article say that they are over 18. He has no proof either way.

That dude in the picture can't be 17. He could be, but what does he have to do with anything anyways.

When the guy says "15 to 120" the 'journalist' thinks 120 is an exaggeration, but 15 isn't.

So far no word from anybody else. No official comments, no experts.

15-year olds are not children. A common mistake is to equate under-age sex (or statutory rape legally speaking) with child molestation. It isn't the same, which doesn't make the former any more legal, or acceptable, but they are nowhere near the same league.

Yes but he specifically asked for a 15 year old, that's soliciting whether he got one or not. And if I skimmed his article correctly, later offered to take the underage girl out for a beer. Whoever he ended up with claimed to be 18, or so he says, but does he have copies of their ID on file? I doubt it.

Just read it again more carefully, this man exposed himself to a girl he claimed appeared underaged and gave money to several such young girls to encourage them to hang out with him and his companion in places where alcoholic beverages are consumed.

Last edited:

locofoto

Aug 18, 2004
Fishing for attention

This "journalist" is just fishing for attention. The greater the scandal, the more people would by the paper - that's his true agenda.

All this child molestation, ... prostitution, etc. currently is the big topic everywhere. It serves as a cause for trying to censor the Internet and helps to sell books or newspapers. Sad world ...

And just to add this: true child molestation takes place within the family of the child. It's not some stranger, but somebody the child trusts. But on the other hand I'm by far not an expect on this topic although I have read a lot of articles about it that seem serious to me.