Hurricane Protection -Storm Panel suppliers in DR ??

pedrodominicus

Dec 2, 2003
Can anyone here in the DR recommend a supplier of aluminum or galvanized steel storm panels? I have a 3 story beach front property with loads of arched windows which seamed a great idea at the time of construction but is a major nightmare every hurricane season. The conventional concertina and roller shutters just don?t work inside arched windows.

For the past 5 years I?ve been using ?? ply panels which are cut to fit each window. This was a cheep solution at the time but ??ply is very heavy and time consuming to install. I am looking to replace this with corrugated steel or aluminum panels which slot into a top and bottom track. A very common system used in Florida which I can adapt for arched windows.

I can find many suppliers listed in Miami but non here in the DR. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Preferably I am looking for importers or supplier of the raw materials so I can fit myself.

pedrodominicus

Dec 2, 2003
Thanks for the info juanita I will check them out in the morning. Just out of curiosity what search did you use? I tried numerous Verizon searches but came up with zzzilch. Just curious, thanks again.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The biggest company is probably

Induca
Av San Mart?n
Santo Domingo
(809) 541-2117

Have used these shutters on a 6th floor apartment. Proven during Georges (Category 3). They upheld pretty well, but wonder how they would do in a 4-5 hurricane. Probably if you are on ground floor, they should withstand well a 4 hurricane. With a 5.....

All the shutters available in the country were installed after David (1979), which means none of them have proven they can deal with the big ones.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
pedrodominicus said:
Thanks for the info juanita I will check them out in the morning. Just out of curiosity what search did you use? I tried numerous Verizon searches but came up with zzzilch. Just curious, thanks again.

Jejejeje....did it the old way! Yellow pages flipping! :nervous:

Nov 9, 2004
Regarding the shutters!

Bets you can do is go to Vidrios y Ventanas del Este, they have great quality and good service! They have thick galvanized steel shutters! INDUCA nowadays is off as they have changed their policiy and do only projects...

Pls contact VIVENECA 594 8888 attn: Mis Belkis Santana!

pedrodominicus

Dec 2, 2003
19972002: Thanks for the info on Vidrios y Ventanas del Este, I will check them out.

I get your drift with INDUCA, their prices are four times higher than US, what a rip-off.

leediablo

May 14, 2006
www.safeststormpanel.com
Hello,

If your still interested in proctecting your structure at a reasonable price, and with probably the best and easiest product around go to www.safeststormpanel.com In fact Lowe's department stores just started selling our product in generic sizes. We make custom panels for your structure. Be sure to view the demonstration video! 15 hits from the air cannon and no damage, plus our panels will protect you even if a window is broken. Pressure is the number one culprit of a storm! Not flying debris!
Regards
Lee Lincoln
Owner
407-568-3868

pedrodominicus

Dec 2, 2003
leediablo: Pressure is the number one culprit of a storm! Not flying debris!

I though if an opening was compromised by flying debris then pressure would enter the building, sounds a bit chicken and egg to me but, gee I?m no eggspurt.:tired:

I started this thread back in September of 2004 and from information supplies by Juanita, Dolores and 19972002; I purchased most of the materials locally and completed the project in time for the 2005 Hurricane Season. A belated thanks to the folks mentioned.

For my problematic arched windows, I purchased aluminum panels from Blue Jay CxA (nice guy). He sells them at just above Miami prices in 17ft or 24ft lengths. Bottom tracking from Aldom, top tracking from Induca and all the stainless steel fittings and aluminum welding materials on the Internet. If anyone wants to complete this work themselves you will save at least 50% and have peace of mind knowing its installed right. Do your research on the Internet first.

For the rectangular windows I purchased Cortina Shutters from Induca, expensive but very strong if mounted correctly. The contractors from Induca haven?t got a clue. They tried to install the shutters using 1/16-inch mild steel screws with plastic plugs. If you?ve hade anything installed by them I would suggest you check the Miami Dade County codes to see if your installation stand up.

Lets hope the experts are wrong this year and we have a quite season after all.:cheeky:

regards

peddom