Giving Back To The Homeland

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
I just came across this forum, and after reading a few threads, I needed to pose this question to the Dominicans Abroad. Are any of you currently active in trying to assist the school children back in the DR? Would any of you be interested in giving your time to promote the various programs dedicated to improving the schools in the DR?

My wife, and I have been traveling to Puerto Plata for the past 9 years, and we absolutely love the country and it's people. I have recently taken on the self appointed position of Internet Cheerleader for an organization named Fundacion Patria. FP was started by a group of hotel managers and is dedicated to improving the schools in the Puerto Plata area. I have started threads for FP on this and 3 other widely read Dominican web sites. My hope is to rally support for FP from the many tourists that are traveling to your beautiful country. I would like to enlist your support and promotion of this project and that of your many friends as well.

If you would like to learn more about FP and what it is wanting to accomplish, please locate: Help The Schools Via Fundacion Patria. I think you will find the thread very informative.

As I mentioned earlier, FP is dedicated to the schools in the Puerto Plata area, and it has contacts in Santo Domingo, Santiago, and Punta Cana. There is another project, the DREAM Project, that is working for the schools in the Cabarete area. The Sosua Project is self explainable. If you would like to support any of these projects, your effort would be greatly appreciated. All the projects can use basic school supplies as well as any monies that you would care to donate. Maybe some of you would even be willing to have individuals send supplies to you, and then you could bring them to the DR when you go back to visit. If we mail them to the DR, the duty and fees are sooo high that mailing doesn't make much sense. It is always best to have people physically bring extra baggage with them when they travel.

If any of you have any comments, ideas, suggestions, etc., please reply to this message. Please refer others to this, and other threads as well. If we all work toward the common goal of improving the schools, the current and future Dominican school children will have a much better chance in the area of education. I think you all would agree that a good education is not too much to expect in this day and age.

Thanks for all you do!

Snowbird (SB)

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
A Big OOOPS!

Sorry readers, I didn't include the location where you could read about Fundacion Patria. If you will go to the Travel section, click on General, and then locate: Help The Schools Via Fundacion Patria, you can read all about what the organization and what it wants to accomplish.

Thanks for looking and contributing.

SB

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
Your Help Is Vital For Education To Continue

Please read the following from a reader at another site:

Schools in Puerto Plata in a bad way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Snowbird, thought you & others might be interested in the following article from El Caribe.
As you all know, Puerto Plata had an earthquake a year ago (almost to the day!) which destroyed 140 classrooms in Puerto Plata schools. The students were, for the most part, "farmed out" to other schools & College buildings which had available space & the Mejia government promised 50 million pesos for the repair work necessary. Apparently, THE MONEY NEVER ARRIVED!! I can remember seeing Ginette Bournigal, the then Governor of Puerto Plata, on CDN holding up a cheque for the press to see. Obviously, the cheque was never honoured, because none of the repair work has been carried out. The article states that 7 of the schools need major repairs. As a result of the students being "farmed out" to other locations, there is tremendous classroom overcrowding - 70 to 80 children per class (poor teachers!!).

One father, whose 4 children were all in the same school, now has to take his children to 4 different locations. The situation at the start of the new school year is described as chaotic. One can only imagine the effect this is having on learning!

The new government says it will commit over 60 million pesos to the necessary repairs. Parents hope this promise is worth more than Mejia's was!!
Clearly, it would have made sense for these repairs to have been carried out BEFORE the start of the new school year..........but they weren't.

Snowbird, this is a summary of the article, plus a bit of my opinion. Full article is at:-
http://www.elcaribe.com.do/articulo...d=5391419418224057831747DDC0BB1291&Seccion=63

Maybe Fundacion Patria would like to chivy the government along, so that these repairs don't get forgotten?
================================================

Since the gov't is slow to take care of it's children, all of us, tourists and Dominicans Abroad, need to get involved to assist the schools. If you can, please contact FP, to see where/how you can donate $$ to the cause.

Thanks for all you do.

SB

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
I Am Puzzled

It's been almost a month since I first posted this thread in this forum. To date, there has not been ONE reply from a Dominican Abroad. It disappoints me to think that not a soul has an opinion about the school situation in the Dominican Republic, let alone no reply with any ideas as how to correct what needs to be corrected.

I don't believe that those of you that have been able to leave your beautiful country, have forgotten about those still there. The students need to receive support from all of us, tourists and Dominicans Abroad, et.al.

Your opinion?

SB

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
not too many people care

let me be the first to say that , i have read stories of poeple doin things like opening schools , orginizations starting funds , and the like .however , education is something (that i have noticed) is many times over looked . i think the problem is the orginization and quality of schools. One has to remember that Dr is not chile or costa rica , we are not in good economic standings like 4 years ago ,people are goin through rough times .So, the first thing on peoples minds is the economy , then comes the politics, then somethings else , and so on . The education is one of the things people forget about during economic downs. most people with children ,who can afford to send thier children to more affluent private schools always do, becuase the public schools are garbauge . so thats one thing they can start is buy putting some money into improving the schools ,but even if they doo that the schools are usaully drained of money through all the haitian kidds they have to take in , and i know for a fact that they are taken in from kidds who go to school in DR(it doesnt sound nice , but its the truth , no matter how inhumane that sounds, Dominican schools and children suffer from that , and thats a fact) They can also start by tryin to keep children in school , as in creating a law that keeps the children in school and prevents them from dropping out (i dont know if they have made a law like that , maybe they have) .I mean i can right a book on the impovements DR can make , but if the economy is not well none will ever happen .Even if they are starting new programs , DR is far from countries like Cuba and costa rica on quality of education. so thats my opinion

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
What a load of crap, FuegoAzul, now you sound like Nals with his theories of an H* Invasion!

SB,

Dominicans abroad are not giving to these causes because:

1. They already have to support their families. They sent $2.8 billion alone last year to their families. (Mainly first generation) Even if they have to borrow. And many do.

2. On average, Dominicans are the lowest income earners among Latinos in the US. They make about $13,000 per capital per year. (Again, first generation). This is a very young demographic you are talking to with limited access to capital. The capital that is spent comes at a sacrifice of living a better life in the states (compared to other Americans).

3. Older generations of Dominicans, do not know or trust these fundations. It is an extremely corrupt government that grants no immediate and tangible legal guarantees for your money or protection if frauded. It wasn't even 2 months ago I heard a Dominican (1st generation) sending to support a child in DR. When he went to see the "child", it was a grown arse person living with better amenities than he was. Unless I am personally involved in an endeavor my money is not going in. Even then I walk with one eye open and I still feel the burn.

4. Older generations are doing better economically but not that much better. They don't have the same connections to families back on the island (or all their close fam is already in the states) so they struggle to meet their immediate needs and invest to help meet the needs of Dominicans locally. It's just more tangible.

5. Last but not least, on issues of long-term giving relationships Dominicans I have come across are just plain ungrateful. It's hard to give to people who don't know how to appreciate the struggles we go through to give to them.
It's just a touch and go appreciation that wanes and often is taken for granted.

thorndike

Feb 7, 2004
we are giving back

Dear Snowbird,
I would like to congratulate you on your efforts to support Fundacion Patria. I hope to communicate with them directly and see how we can network and continue to make a difference in the lives of many children, teachers and families in the Dominican Republic who are in need. Of better educational opportunities
I am very busy and do not have the time that I wish I did to visit and comment on these Dominican messages boards. However, you can be assured that Many Dominicans are giving back. Please do not judge Dominicans abroad by their responding to message boards.
We are receiving more and more donations from Dominicans abroad, just as we are rec ieveing more and more from gringos. This winter we have a group of students from Cornell University coming to build a Community center in Los Brazos and a children's garden in Sabaneta de Yasica, they include the president of the Dominican club Quisqueya , the Haitian club and the Latin American club.
Our Summer camp was funded by Guzman Ariza Law firm and family members from Canadian have come to volunteers. Our Honorary chairman is Julia Alvarez. The number of Dominicans getting involved is growing , just as the number of Americans, Europeans and Canadians is growing.

The Dominican abroad all have families in the DR and every single one makes their own contribution to family or to help schools or environment. I can not think of many other nationality that are more giving.

Sincerly, Patricia Suriel
executive director of the DREAM Project
The Dominican Repubic Education And Mentoring Project.
www.dominicandream.org

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Estimada Sra. Suriel:

I recognize and COMPLETELY understand what you are saying and where you are coming from. And I respect that. Yes, Dominicans can get involved but the money you are seeing or at least highlighting in this post is not necessarily the bulk of the Dominican community, the first generation community that has left the country in search for a brighter future. What you are seeing is the ACCESS that young adults have to other institutions who value and see the rewards of giving to endeavors like your organization (case in point, Cornell, Columbia, Harvard, etc...) . There is a difference.

I have seen and lived your struggle here locally. I think overall there is a need to EDUCATE/TRAIN our communities about proper governance and the value of philanthrophy. The bulk of the Dominican community in the US lacks this perspective. Even working within the Dominican "leadership" you see old-style DR modus operandi is about fulfilling power agendas, assigning political affiliations and building mini-fifedoms. This does not appeal to many of us who want to see change.

I believe, as you are seeing with your organization, that the second and third and even fourth generation are blazing new definitions. We view things differently and we work/act differently. We bring a smart, open mind. We are willing to work in strong collaboratins with Haitian professionals and student organizations. We possess the technical skills foundations understand. This is not what you see from the the ruling powers that be in DR or even at a local level. We don't buy into the "invasion conspiracy." We understand the migration dynamic and the need for development. Until we don't see real change in DR, the island as a whole will continue to lose out on our talent.

Until then we are relegated to working through third sector institutions like your own, and even then at the periphery and using the access we have to mainstream/predominantly white institutions in the States.

Let's communicate via PMs to exchange info and see how my skills could be of service to you.

Best to you.

thorndike said:
Dear Snowbird,
I would like to congratulate you on your efforts to support Fundacion Patria. I hope to communicate with them directly and see how we can network and continue to make a difference in the lives of many children, teachers and families in the Dominican Republic who are in need. Of better educational opportunities
I am very busy and do not have the time that I wish I did to visit and comment on these Dominican messages boards. However, you can be assured that Many Dominicans are giving back. Please do not judge Dominicans abroad by their responding to message boards.
We are receiving more and more donations from Dominicans abroad, just as we are rec ieveing more and more from gringos. This winter we have a group of students from Cornell University coming to build a Community center in Los Brazos and a children's garden in Sabaneta de Yasica, they include the president of the Dominican club Quisqueya , the Haitian club and the Latin American club.
Our Summer camp was funded by Guzman Ariza Law firm and family members from Canadian have come to volunteers. Our Honorary chairman is Julia Alvarez. The number of Dominicans getting involved is growing , just as the number of Americans, Europeans and Canadians is growing.

The Dominican abroad all have families in the DR and every single one makes their own contribution to family or to help schools or environment. I can not think of many other nationality that are more giving.

Sincerly, Patricia Suriel
executive director of the DREAM Project
The Dominican Repubic Education And Mentoring Project.
www.dominicandream.org

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
Outstanding Dialogue

Thanks to deelt and thorndike for sharing your enlightening insights. Both of you have some great information regarding the Dominican community. I agree that it is absolutely essential to change the locals perception of what they can do for themselves. I do believe that having a strong educational system is a definite must in order for this to happen.

To FuegoAzul, I would say that it would be helpful if you would work at helping the local Dominicans take on responsibility for their own lifestyle. I don't think you can blame the Hatians for what is not happening. Help your family/friends realize that they have the ability to create change in their lives. They don't have to depend on others to make things right.

If any of you readers have a connection with the new President, I would like to discuss with you, a proposal that I have been thinking about for quite a while, but I don't know how to move forward with it.

In the meantime, I hope we will continue to see more postings from Dominicans Abroad.

SB

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
First time, I see this topic.
I believe many Dominicans Abroad are giving back to the Dominican Republic educational system. From the Dominican Dream Project to your Fundacion Patria, more help is needed though. When I travel to the DR or send caseloads of objects, we try to send notebooks, pencils, pens, just little things that comes by hard in the small campos and barrios. My family over there either goes into the barrios or goes directly to the schools. Many Dominicans that I know are doing this, sending supplies, clothes & food.
My motto on giving is this "Giving to family is almost mandatory but when you give to people you don't know, that is charity." Alot of Dominicans give back just to our families and sometimes it's hard to give to others.

The government right now, unfortunately is restrained to fix the necessary problems, Leonel I believe understands the problems the DR educational system is facing.

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
Organizational Efforts

"From the Dominican Dream Project to your Fundacion Patria, more help is needed though."

Please believe me when I say the FP and DP are doing whatever they can to assist in the Dominican school projects. Because most of the contribitors in these projects are tourists who have come to love the DR, there are a few glitches that occur. One of the difficulties that I have noticed is that tourists are limited by airline baggage allowances. As a result of this situation, many would like to ship donations to their project. However, we have heard many times over that the duty that has to be paid by the receiving organization is so steep, that it is not worth shipping the supplies.

A thought I have had is this. It would be great to have an address, or addresses of Dominicans Abroad, be it in the USA, Canada, or Europe. That way supplies could be shipped to them, and they could bring it with them when they return home. Obviously it would be nice to have multiple DA's in each country mentioned above. It would also be necassary that the DA's make return trips to the DR at least 3-4 times a year. That way the load would not be too great.

I applaud what The DREAM Project has been able to accomplish in a relatively short period of time. I know that those associated with FP are working diligently to do as well.

SB

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Hello Snow,

I agree that the cost of shipping can be prohibitive. One of the organizations I was part of gained a $2000 donation from a private company to ship to DR during the flood/hurricane. We also helped raised nearly $100K to the Red Cross with negotiated conditions on the use of the money.

While I think your heart is in the right place I don't think that the community you are targeting (in the US, at least) is able to travel 3-4 times per year to DR. They can barely visit once every 2-3 years even then its with struggle especially given how demanding DR Dominicans can be with families who live abroad. It's too much pressure. For what you suggest you need to target (legitimate and legal) business people who need to travel or can afford to travel that frequently. I would suggest targeting certain entities that could facilitate your need to reach that audience.

I think a more sustainable long-term solution could be to create a linkage with an organization that will be responsible for accepting donations on a weekly or biweekly or monthly basis form a single source (If the ED wants to speak to me with this I sent her my email). This means that if is a company with vested interest in DR or has a substantion number of Dominican employees they can add The Dream Project to their donation list and this means that a person can steadily donate $1-$20 every paycheck they get over the entire year. It's small and is less felt than a bulk donation.

If you get a critical mass, say 500 people/city donating even at a $5 range every every 2 weeks, this amounts to $5000 per month, $60,000 per year per city. If you target 5 major cities with Dominicans, then you have a steady $300,000 for excellent operational budget by DR standards. Even if you do this for a 6 month period (with varying Donation levels) is enough to carry and put through some massive programming in DR while not burdening poor/low-income US Dominicans. There needs to be a balance and a sensitivity for the community you are targetting, what kind of assistance they can realistically offer, and work within those boundaries.

Oh and to prevent corrupt individuals and to gain more donatians I would suggest an extremely high level of transparency on how the money is raised and used (like Participacion Cuidadana). Also key contact people should be listed for information per city in the case corrupt individuals start creating side projects that benefit their own pocket. Each person (regardless of donation level) should receive a tax-deduction letter at the end of the year.
This would require impeccable bookkeeping skills. Which should be happening anyway with such a legitimate and sustainable organization.

Best of luck,
Deelt

Snowbird said:
"As a result of this situation, many would like to ship donations to their project. However, we have heard many times over that the duty that has to be paid by the receiving organization is so steep, that it is not worth shipping the supplies.

A thought I have had is this. It would be great to have an address, or addresses of Dominicans Abroad, be it in the USA, Canada, or Europe. That way supplies could be shipped to them, and they could bring it with them when they return home. Obviously it would be nice to have multiple DA's in each country mentioned above. It would also be necassary that the DA's make return trips to the DR at least 3-4 times a year. That way the load would not be too great.

I applaud what The DREAM Project has been able to accomplish in a relatively short period of time. I know that those associated with FP are working diligently to do as well.

SB

Last edited:

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
deelt said:
What a load of crap, FuegoAzul, now you sound like Nals with his theories of an H* Invasion!

SB,

Dominicans abroad are not giving to these causes because:

1. They already have to support their families. They sent $2.8 billion alone last year to their families. (Mainly first generation) Even if they have to borrow. And many do.

2. On average, Dominicans are the lowest income earners among Latinos in the US. They make about $13,000 per capital per year. (Again, first generation). This is a very young demographic you are talking to with limited access to capital. The capital that is spent comes at a sacrifice of living a better life in the states (compared to other Americans).

3. Older generations of Dominicans, do not know or trust these fundations. It is an extremely corrupt government that grants no immediate and tangible legal guarantees for your money or protection if frauded. It wasn't even 2 months ago I heard a Dominican (1st generation) sending to support a child in DR. When he went to see the "child", it was a grown arse person living with better amenities than he was. Unless I am personally involved in an endeavor my money is not going in. Even then I walk with one eye open and I still feel the burn.

4. Older generations are doing better economically but not that much better. They don't have the same connections to families back on the island (or all their close fam is already in the states) so they struggle to meet their immediate needs and invest to help meet the needs of Dominicans locally. It's just more tangible.

5. Last but not least, on issues of long-term giving relationships Dominicans I have come across are just plain ungrateful. It's hard to give to people who don't know how to appreciate the struggles we go through to give to them.
It's just a touch and go appreciation that wanes and often is taken for granted.

So tell me deelt, what exactly is wrong with my post? , did i say something that wasnt true? , did i say something u dont like to hear? , did i say something that offended u ? if so please inform me , you bring up alot of true points , but where did u get the figure of what the average dominican makes per year ? i ask cuase that figure seems incredibly low, i dont really think people from ,Guatemala,El Salvador,Honduras and other countries make more money than us(not exactly sure how anyone can live off of that , let alone support of family) and most Dominicans i have met and known the states have never been that broke(unless they just got here,but even after 5 years theyre makin mor than 20,000 a year) ,i know my family isnt rich , but we definitly make a hell of alot more than 13,000 a year, i really dont believe that figure, alot of Dominicans lie on alot of legal stuff(the majority) so they can get things like free lunch , disability checks, unemployment checks,financial aide, and other things ment for the economicaly challenged ,so u cant exactly trust that figure( i beleive) , the rest of what u said is true though , but u forgot to mention the part of economic conditions effecting DR , it has alot to with the school situation ,becuase the people use the remmitances for things they need to survive and school doesnt always fall in that category,But as Snowbird has shown us , there is a way people can help (if the charity snowbird talks about is legit) and i hope snow bird has success with his/her cause

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
Check It Out For Yourself

FA,

your quote:
(if the charity snowbird talks about is legit)

please go to www.fundapatria.com you can read all about Fundacion Patria and what it is wanting to accomplish. You will find an email address if you would like to receive more info. FP is very legit.

deelt...I sent you a pm. Did you receive it?

SB

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
Who You Can Contact

Sra Suriel,
Your quote: I would like to congratulate you on your efforts to support Fundacion Patria. I hope to communicate with them directly and see how we can network and continue to make a difference in the lives of many children, teachers and families in the Dominican Republic who are in need. Of better educational opportunities.

I believe it would be great if somehow FP, TDP, and the Sosua group could create a network that works for the common good of all school children in the North Coast area. A unified collaberation would benefit a larger group of students rather than the shotgun approach that each of the 3 groups is using now.

If you would like, I would suggest that you contact Sr. Ramon Ripoll, Executive President of FP. He is the Hotel Manager at Riu Merengue. His email is clubhotel.merengue@riu.com Telephone number: 809 320 4000.

Thanks for your kind words, and a willingness to create a proactive network.

SB

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
FA,

I think we both agree education has a low priority level. However, we disagree on the reasons. It doesn't take a lot of money to make a better or more effective education system in DR (i.e compared to energy). It is clear, to me at least, the government chooses not to invest in education. (As the first post indicates, they flashed the check and never deposited...all flash and no depth.) I believe because it would affect the status quo.

Look at countries like Sri Lanka; they are going through CIVIL WAR. Yet the Sri Lankan gov't is so education-conscious that the country has consistently mainted among the highest literacy rates in the WORLD, let alone among developing countries. You can look up any of the World/Human Development Indicators over the last 10 years to see this paradox of social progress but unstable power base. Also, look at their health figures and things of the sort. They just place a higher priority on these social factors despite having an extremely challenged economy in the midst of CIVIL WAR.

Your point regarding "Haitain drainage of public resources" I don't think it is based on any factual evidence; rather on the presumption that the theory of the "Haitian Invasion" is in fact accurate. I really don't believe that to be the case.

----------------------------------------------------

Regarding my figures, I was being generous to allow for our "side projects". The actual figure is $11,065 PER CAPITA. This is the latest and most accurate figure. The data was obtained from the CENSUS 2000 5% PUMS run, a specialized and tailored run done on the long form of the Census data set. The data set also showed that Dominicans in NY alone make $10,032 per year per capita. It was also published last year through the Dominican Studies Institute lead by Dr. Ramona Hernandez from CUNY-City College and Dr. Francisco Rivera-Batiz, who is at Teachers College, Columbia University. If you want the direct reference, here it is:

Ramona Hernandez and Francisco Rivera-Batiz: 2003. "Dominicans in the United States: A Socioeconomic Profile., 2000." Dominican Research Monographs. The CUNY Dominican Studies Institute. Released Oct. 6, 2003, p. 24.

As for being able to live on $13K PER CAPITA well I was raised on $6K per year in NYC (for me alone) but since we had 14 people in the apt. (not all earned the same) we were able to make ends meet. So yes, I do believe this figure is correct because the money is pooled together. This is something that is not understood by Dominicans in the island -- the struggle we go through here in the states.

Rather, there's an automatic assumption that we are well off/rich and can afford to take 3-4 trips a year to DR or send thousands of dollars to DR for mis-spending and to top it off being labeled as Dominicanyorks. When we do this it comes a a huge cost to our responsibility to the future generation who are getting lost in the States. Some people have more dispensable income since the live arrimado but they are probably vividores not pulling their fair weight to maintaining bills or not saving to live independently.

I have my theories regarding the Central Americans. I do believe that there is a bi-nodal income curve; however, on AVERAGE and as a social nationality group they are making more than we are. Case in point, the average income of all Latinos in the US by Race/Ethnicity was $12,483. The average for the US was $22,086; for non-hispanic whites was $25,187; for non-hispanic asians was $22,260; for non-hispanic blacks was $12,516. Also, recent figures have been released that the poverty gap has widened and that Latinos women and children are among the critically affected groups. Dr. Nancy Lopez, a very well educated Dominican-American at the Univeristy of NM, did a study a few years back titled "Nobody lives off Welfare alone." This is still supported by my rough studies on just a few states, I have seen that Dominican women and their children suffer the most since the Dominican men/fathers are just not RESPONSIBLE/Dead Beat Dads. Thus, as a person that has lived the experience of poverty in the US...I can tell you it is very real...despite the lying, the side projects, etc. Another, factor that is also left out, is that I firmly believe that many US Dominican women are economically being forced into prostitution...the reasons why just don't surprise me.

So to bring it back to the thread topic. When people talk about giving to DR people need to be SENSITIVE to the conditions under which Dominicans are living in the States. I believe there are strategies that can be done to help but I believe we as Dominicans and Dominican-Americans need to think more strategically with how we want to donate our hard earned money and ensure that we get results by demanding transparency of how the funds are used and program evaluation to measure effectiveness and impact.

D

FuegoAzul21 said:
So tell me deelt, what exactly is wrong with my post? , did i say something that wasnt true? , did i say something u dont like to hear? , did i say something that offended u ? if so please inform me , you bring up alot of true points , but where did u get the figure of what the average dominican makes per year ? i ask cuase that figure seems incredibly low, i dont really think people from ,Guatemala,El Salvador,Honduras and other countries make more money than us(not exactly sure how anyone can live off of that , let alone support of family) and most Dominicans i have met and known the states have never been that broke(unless they just got here,but even after 5 years theyre makin mor than 20,000 a year) ,i know my family isnt rich , but we definitly make a hell of alot more than 13,000 a year, i really dont believe that figure, alot of Dominicans lie on alot of legal stuff(the majority) so they can get things like free lunch , disability checks, unemployment checks,financial aide, and other things ment for the economicaly challenged ,so u cant exactly trust that figure( i beleive) , the rest of what u said is true though , but u forgot to mention the part of economic conditions effecting DR , it has alot to with the school situation ,becuase the people use the remmitances for things they need to survive and school doesnt always fall in that category,But as Snowbird has shown us , there is a way people can help (if the charity snowbird talks about is legit) and i hope snow bird has success with his/her cause

Last edited:

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
The Lack of Giving From Dominicans...

I am not Dominican and I am not trying to offend anyone. I do seek to understand the people better.

To understand Dominicans you have to know something about a clan based society. Dominicans do not seem concerned about people outside of their clan. I have had conversations with Dominicans where I have mentioned the plight of a group of people and the Dominican has never shown a sincere interest in the subject. I have spoken of other Dominicans who were in need of serious assistance, such as medical attention or food and the person I was talking to showed very little interest. They seem to be concerned with members of their clan and that is where it ends. At first this bothered me. But now that I have studied the history of this country and have done some research into clan based societies...I accept it much easier. Don't expect these people to be big givers outside of the clan...it isn't going to happen. I am not saying it is a bad thing. I am just pointing out where I am on this issue at this point in time. And I would like to hear from others.