Hot Head Dominican stereotype...

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Once again is confirmed by one of our own!!

Texas Rangers reliever Frank Francisco was arrested Tuesday morning after he threw a chair into the right-field box seats, hitting two spectators in the head and leaving one with a broken nose, during Monday night's loss to the Athletics.

Francisco was arrested on a charge of aggravated battery, a felony. The fan whose nose was broken, an unidentified woman, also suffered cuts to her face.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1881073

I understand sometimes one gets caught up in the moment, but WHAT IN GOD'S NAME WAS HE THINKING? It seems sometimes when our players are seen for what they are, great ballplyers, something happens to set us back a bit.
Whether its the Sosa cork thing, or Danny Almonte thing or Carlos Perez going ballistic on a water cooler, something always seems to happen that gives Dominican ballplayers a black eye.

yankpapi

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 14, 2004
NY1 said:

Texas Rangers reliever Frank Francisco was arrested Tuesday morning after he threw a chair into the right-field box seats, hitting two spectators in the head and leaving one with a broken nose, during Monday night's loss to the Athletics.

Francisco was arrested on a charge of aggravated battery, a felony. The fan whose nose was broken, an unidentified woman, also suffered cuts to her face.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1881073

I understand sometimes one gets caught up in the moment, but WHAT IN GOD'S NAME WAS HE THINKING? It seems sometimes when our players are seen for what they are, great ballplyers, something happens to set us back a bit.
Whether its the Sosa cork thing, or Danny Almonte thing or Carlos Perez going ballistic on a water cooler, something always seems to happen that gives Dominican ballplayers a black eye.

You are very right about that. I always see the Dominican players as very hot-headed. They're the first to glare you down when they get hit or come close to. Manny Ramirez is very hot-headed. Dominican pitchers such as Pedro and quite a few others dont give a damn about hitting someone and then they give the attitude. Ive seen it in other cases too.

Everytime I see a Domincan-started brawl, I say: "Haha, gotta be the Dominican.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
yankpapi said:
You are very right about that. I always see the Dominican players as very hot-headed. They're the first to glare you down when they get hit or come close to. Manny Ramirez is very hot-headed. Dominican pitchers such as Pedro and quite a few others dont give a damn about hitting someone and then they give the attitude. Ive seen it in other cases too.

It is a good job this thread has to remain Dominican related otherwise I might be tempted to ask what you say when US players start a baseball brawl? Perhaps you have something to say about the British Football fans that start fights, the Latin Countries (No, ALL countries) football players that get uptight & start throwing fists during a game? Then there are the Canadian hockey players, Australian Rules Football players, Cricket players, Rugby Football players .................... the list is endless!! Dominican players are no better/no worse than most of their counterparts!!! Violence ON & OFF the playing field is (regrettably) becoming part & parcel of the game to create an interest that would otherwise not be there!! - Grahame.

yankpapi

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 14, 2004
No doubt but....

BushBaby said:
It is a good job this thread has to remain Dominican related otherwise I might be tempted to ask what you say when US players start a baseball brawl? Perhaps you have something to say about the British Football fans that start fights, the Latin Countries (No, ALL countries) football players that get uptight & start throwing fists during a game? Then there are the Canadian hockey players, Australian Rules Football players, Cricket players, Rugby Football players .................... the list is endless!! Dominican players are no better/no worse than most of their counterparts!!! Violence ON & OFF the playing field is (regrettably) becoming part & parcel of the game to create an interest that would otherwise not be there!! - Grahame.

You are very right. Especially with soccer (futbol). Players and fans are the most passionate and even most violent people in the world. I was just talking about baseball. In BASEBALL the Dominicans TEND to be a little more fiery.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
yankpapi said:
You are very right. Especially with soccer (futbol). Players and fans are the most passionate and even most violent people in the world. I was just talking about baseball. In BASEBALL the Dominicans TEND to be a little more fiery.

I will let those who know more about this peculiar game respond to your allegation, but I suspect you to be in error! I think it is possibly because there are more Dominican GOOD baseball players that it APPEARS to be that they start the brawls more often (on a ratio basis it is probably 50/50) because the press make more headlines this way!! Interesting to note that Dominican players here in their home country don't seem to behave this way, could it be something to do with the pressures put on them when they start playing in the US??? - Grahame.

yankpapi

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 14, 2004
BushBaby said:
I will let those who know more about this peculiar game respond to your allegation, but I suspect you to be in error! I think it is possibly because there are more Dominican GOOD baseball players that it APPEARS to be that they start the brawls more often (on a ratio basis it is probably 50/50) because the press make more headlines this way!! Interesting to note that Dominican players here in their home country don't seem to behave this way, could it be something to do with the pressures put on them when they start playing in the US??? - Grahame.

1st of all, pressure has nothing to do with it.
2nd of all, the headlines NEVER point out that they are Dominican and thats why they act up.

They just happen to be Dominican(the ones that like retaliating)

Peculiar game?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
yankpapi said:
1st of all, pressure has nothing to do with it.
2nd of all, the headlines NEVER point out that they are Dominican and thats why they act up.

They just happen to be Dominican(the ones that like retaliating)

Peculiar game?

Yes, ...... a MOST peculiar game! Borrowed from the gentlemanly game of cricket I believe (& THAT is boring too!!).

As mentioned before, I am not the best one to argue the points you raise on this game as a) I am not Dominican, nor a baseball fan AND I don't live in the US, & b) don't see the US Papers to see what it is the sports writers say on these brawls!!

I would certainly suggest however that it has EVERYTHING to do with pressure. The amounts of money involved for players these days indicates that pressure is a daily occurence - a state of daily life for ALL good players! By being "Aggressive" the players make themselves more noticeable & therefor receive more interest from managers at transfer time! Managers might even be condoning the outbursts as they promote more interest in the club which equals more seats sold!!

You say that the Dominican players "Retaliate"! That means that someone else makes the initial error/act of aggression, that causes the "Dominican Baseball players" to RE-act? THAT in itself says quite a lot - is goading of Dominican players a part of the game too???

Just to keep this Dominican related, I say again ......... Baseball down here in the DR does NOT have these outbusts (& here it is 95% Dominican players on the field) so why up there in the States?? Pressure or Money or 'Expected'??? Come on you guys that know something about the game, let's get YOUR views on this. I am WAY out of my league, whether it be American, National or Dominican league!!! - Grahame.

yankpapi

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 14, 2004
BushBaby said:
Yes, ...... a MOST peculiar game! Borrowed from the gentlemanly game of cricket I believe (& THAT is boring too!!).

As mentioned before, I am not the best one to argue the points you raise on this game as a) I am not Dominican, nor a baseball fan AND I don't live in the US, & b) don't see the US Papers to see what it is the sports writers say on these brawls!!

I would certainly suggest however that it has EVERYTHING to do with pressure. The amounts of money involved for players these days indicates that pressure is a daily occurence - a state of daily life for ALL good players! By being "Aggressive" the players make themselves more noticeable & therefor receive more interest from managers at transfer time! Managers might even be condoning the outbursts as they promote more interest in the club which equals more seats sold!!

You say that the Dominican players "Retaliate"! That means that someone else makes the initial error/act of aggression, that causes the "Dominican Baseball players" to RE-act? THAT in itself says quite a lot - is goading of Dominican players a part of the game too???

Just to keep this Dominican related, I say again ......... Baseball down here in the DR does NOT have these outbusts (& here it is 95% Dominican players on the field) so why up there in the States?? Pressure or Money or 'Expected'??? Come on you guys that know something about the game, let's get YOUR views on this. I am WAY out of my league, whether it be American, National or Dominican league!!! - Grahame.

I dont know what you are talking about and obviously, you dont either. If you dont know about it then you cant talk about it. You said your not U.S. or D.R.

Therefore your opinion is void.

Now off with you!

bienvenido

Sep 5, 2004
Violence In Major League Bb Is Unacceptable

Folks, not matter what might have caused Francisco outburst, his action is unacceptable. Players draw millions of dollars to give the fans a show so it should be. They should not go to ball park and feel threaten by the action of a few ball player. As a ball player myself, I was alway told that not matter what the fan say to you, they alway right, that is, "the customer is alway right"; they the one who actually pay your salary. Let not estereotype here, Dominican as well as all sport player are aggressive these days. Folks, I seem Dominicans ball players beating a fan overhere so hard that the guy has to be put in intensive care for a month. OK DR players feel a little be stigmatize, so what. In conclusion, fan deserve all the fun they can get, and when they become out of line, call security. Personally I blame sport authorities for that incident. They should educate players on a daily basic, and severely punish those who cross the line.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
originally posted by yankpapi,

I dont know what you are talking about and obviously, you
dont either. If you dont know about it then you cant talk
about it. You said your not U.S. or D.R.

Therefore your opinion is void.

Now off with you!

Yankpapi,
you need to respect people's opinion in this board
and have a little more respect for them,look at how many
posts bushbaby has over you
and he is right about the fact that there is significantly
a large amount of dominicans playing baseball in the major
league and they have been playing for years before you
were probably born and is understandable that there is
always gonna be someone the is gonna be a little contro-
versial here and there because nobody is perfect.

There are way over 300 dominican baseball players in the major league
and no matter how many millions they make they will not be perfect
and i am sure they know that consequences comes with everything they do.

stone cold

thick_neck

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 6, 2004
Well, I don't know much, but I do know this: 300 Dominicans in the MLB is quite an exaggeration, but more like 75-100, give or take a few call-ups.

-Joseito
50 percent of baseball is 95 percent mental

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
thick_neck said:
Well, I don't know much, but I do know this: 300 Dominicans in the MLB is quite an exaggeration, but more like 75-100, give or take a few call-ups.

-Joseito
50 percent of baseball is 95 percent mental

I meant to say 300+ over the years.
So there is always gonna be some incidents.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
yankpapi said:

Just saw this (I am writing from Rocky's at the moment) and can't help but respond. Read the other part of the trhead as well and have to conclude:

Sorry but this is total bullshit. I believe others have posted the same about your opinions as well.. get a life..

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Dominicans in Major League Baseball

I live in the DR and am originally from Boston, home of the World Champion (1918) Boston Red Sox. The phenomenon of Dominican talent in major league baseball is simply amazing. I would hesitate to paint all Dominican basball players with a broad brush simply because several have been involved in ugly incidents or have displayed chippy or immature behavior. Since I am of Irish descent I can't speak from the experience of Dominicans living in the US but there must be considerable pressure and experiences tempting them to act defensively or aggressively. A person from a minority group in the US whose first language is not English is not treated with respect by everybody. Many probably experience outright discrimination. My ancestors from Ireland first migrated to the US in great numbers in the years of the potato famine between 1845 and 1850. Because they were from a Catholic culture they first met with systematic discrimination from the Protestant majority. The Irish immigrants spoke English so they were able to register to vote quickly and by the turn of the century controlled the politics of the cities of the Northeastern US. The current mayor of Boston, Tom Menino, of Italian descent is the first non Irish mayor of Boston in about a century. Back to the Dominican theme. If a Dominican baseball player bounces a chair off a lady's head is that bad behavior? Yes! Will he probably be stripped of a large amount of cash in a civil suit? Yes! Are all Dominican baseball players jerks? No! Can Pedro Martinez bring a world championship to Boston? Ha! Trick question! The simple answer might appear to be yes, given that Pedro is such a talented pitcher even if his talent may be starting to decline. Given the maldici?n del Bambino the Red Sox can find a way to blow it. (Sorry, that's an esoteric baseball reference. If you didn't grow up with baseball it IS a strange idiosyncratic game. Take heart. Metric football (soccer) is easy to ubderstand.) The numbers of Dominican players in Major League Baseball is evidence of what Leonel has said. The DR is a country loaded with talent.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
yankpapi said:

Then why are you making a stink about it if the media isnt pointing this fact out? You (and I) would be bitching if they pointed out that he was Dominican if they did!

Bushbaby hit in the nail, there is violence in most sporting events that involve beer and a crowd, so your allegations are quite exagerated.

Do you remember the soccer dad that had to go to jail over a kid's soccer game? Did you say: "had to be American" then?

Give me a break, we can say so much about all races in sports, why bring our own down? If anything, I think we are doing pretty good out there in the baseball world. Next time, lets have a thread about the good things that our Dominican players are doing and the positive ways they are representing our tiny country compared to the large one where they play.

DeQueTuPriva

Sep 1, 2004
Talldrink said:
Then why are you making a stink about it if the media isnt pointing this fact out? You (and I) would be bitching if they pointed out that he was Dominican if they did!

Bushbaby hit in the nail, there is violence in most sporting events that involve beer and a crowd, so your allegations are quite exagerated.

Do you remember the soccer dad that had to go to jail over a kid's soccer game? Did you say: "had to be American" then?

Give me a break, we can say so much about all races in sports, why bring our own down? If anything, I think we are doing pretty good out there in the baseball world. Next time, lets have a thread about the good things that our Dominican players are doing and the positive ways they are representing our tiny country compared to the large one where they play.

Well said.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
NY1 said:

[I understand sometimes one gets caught up in the moment, but WHAT IN GOD'S NAME WAS HE THINKING? It seems sometimes when our players are seen for what they are, great ballplyers, something happens to set us back a bit.

I think it's called "juice" and maybe some cocaine. The same thing that makes them drive that a$$holes when they are back here.

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
you are right Talldrink

Talldrink said:

why doesnt the media show what some Dominican baseball players have accomplished in their country, correct me if I am wrong but wasnt it Sosa that spent his money to build a school for the children in his city???

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Let's go back!!

yankpapi said:

Well, not only dominicans are "hot headed", most are but not all. Since you mentioned a few dominicans, let me mention some, that I believe are not dominicans and please correct me if I am wrong:

Let's go back many years ago when a "dominican" ball player named Pete Rose, after sliding into second base, had a little "words match" with the Met's "dominican" player at the time, Bud Harrelson. It escaleted and all of a sudden, "dominican" Rose grabbed (picked up) "dominican" Harrelson and slammed him on the floor/field flat on his back. And I am not even going to say anything about what "dominican" Rose did to "dominican" Felix Millan!.

And by the way, it's a shame seeing all those "dominicans" fight while playing Hockey... Give me a break!!!!!!!!!!