Grace Diaz

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Yesterday on Election Day in Providence, the Dominican community there elected Grace Diaz in the Democratic Primary.* This makes her the first Dominican female ever to win a statewide race.* If she is victorious on Election Day (Tuesday, November 2), she will become the first Dominican-elected female ever to be elected to statewide office in U.S. history.

DeQueTuPriva

Sep 1, 2004
Dolores said:
Yesterday on Election Day in Providence, the Dominican community there elected Grace Diaz in the Democratic Primary.* This makes her the first Dominican female ever to win a statewide race.* If she is victorious on Election Day (Tuesday, November 2), she will become the first Dominican-elected female ever to be elected to statewide office in U.S. history.

One more for the history books.

DANR publishes a historical calendar of all things related to the Dominican-American community. Perhaps, they'll include her in their 2005 edition.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
The Dominican and Latino community in Providence is OFF THE CHAIN.
IMHO some of the strongest Dominican-American leaders are coming out of RI.
I truly believe that the first Dominican-American congressperson will also come out of there. I've look at the numbers and they have spoken. It is just a matter of time and solid strategy, but it is NOT too far off.

While Grace's accomplishments are fantastic, let's give a shout out to the backroom BALLER of Melba de Pena the first ever, Latin/Person of Color/Woman/Organizer/now leader of the Democratic Party HQ in RI that has made a NAME of all these politicians. She's the brains that's making it happen.

Power to this sista'. She is what being Dominican-American is all about.

Much congratulations to Grace Diaz as well. Represent us well and do us proud.

D

Dolores said:

thick_neck

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 6, 2004
Let's also give credit to the real power in R.I. politics: Buddy Cianci. He long ago recognized the Dominican powerbase in Providence, way before the transplanted D-Yorks moved north to the 401.

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
Yeah

thick_neck said:
Let's also give credit to the real power in R.I. politics: Buddy Cianci. He long ago recognized the Dominican powerbase in Providence, way before the transplanted D-Yorks moved north to the 401.

Why dont you and all of the drug dealers in providence get together and see if you can bail him out of jail.

If he had the real power he wouldnt be locked up.

thick_neck

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 6, 2004
Considering that I've been on my best behaviour since re-joining DR1, I'll ignore your 'drug-dealing' reference. However, Buddy Cianci was very instrumental in the Dominican success story in Providence; his involvement dates back to the mid-1970s.

-Joseito

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
Ok

thick_neck said:
Considering that I've been on my best behaviour since re-joining DR1, I'll ignore your 'drug-dealing' reference. However, Buddy Cianci was very instrumental in the Dominican success story in Providence; his involvement dates back to the mid-1970s.

-Joseito

I apologize the drug dealing comment wasnt directed towards you. If you go to Providence 50% of the population is dominican. its the biggest city in the state.

Cianci had no choice but to support the dominican community, because almost all of the smaill business in Providence is owned by dominicans. I live here so I know, if he didnt support us he would have never lasted all those years in office. I doubt he did it by choice.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
This is what strategy and organization is all about. Once the Latino PAC started influencing things the political winds shifted. This what it means to be political. While I am proud of every single Latino/Dominican-American person that is elected into office regardless of party, I stand just as firm on holding them accountable. This should not be any different than any other political representative. There are minor exceptions to this, like the need for coalition building within the State house and the debate of having a critical mass represented, but that is another thread.

Jozee74 said:
I apologize the drug dealing comment wasnt directed towards you. If you go to Providence 50% of the population is dominican. its the biggest city in the state.

Cianci had no choice but to support the dominican community, because almost all of the smaill business in Providence is owned by dominicans. I live here so I know, if he didnt support us he would have never lasted all those years in office. I doubt he did it by choice.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I would be wary of any "Dominican" holding office in the US for two reasons:

The first being the obvious reason that Dominicans have all but proven they still lack the education and discipline to operate a successful democracy,

And the second being that anyone holding public office in the US should consider themselves American, not Dominican or whatever. Even Arnie doesn't go around calling himself "Austrian" and didn't run for office as an "Austrian" but as an American. (I'm not actually sure he's Austrian, I just get that impression)

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
Doubt it

MrMike said:

The first being the obvious reason that Dominicans have all but proven they still lack the education and discipline to operate a successful democracy,

And the second being that anyone holding public office in the US should consider themselves American, not Dominican or whatever. Even Arnie doesn't go around calling himself "Austrian" and didn't run for office as an "Austrian" but as an American. (I'm not actually sure he's Austrian, I just get that impression)

What do you think.....because she is dominican, she lacks discipline and education?? stop being ignorant. :angry:

You cant compare the Dominican Republic to the U.S period. leave it at that. You talk about being wary about any Dominican Holding office.......Look at the U.S and all of the idiots we have in office and they are all American. Lets mention how the U.S is at its worse due to the idiot from Texas that we have as President.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
MrMike

You are way off base here. We/I have been talking about Dominican Americans not Dominicans with a Dominican focus.

We are proud to be Americans and we are proud to serve in this country and work for the betterment of Dominican diaspora living in the US. We have been dying on behalf of this country just like any other veteran on the field.

The fact that we used to lack representation was an issue. It is now being rectified. What Dominicans have been able to achieve in the last 30 years (in the two massive waves of immigration) has been unprecedented and what has occurred over the last 10 (due to the redistricting act) is nothing short of remarkable. Not even Asians who have been here for over a hundred years have been able to achieve what Dominican-Americans have since the 90s.

Despite the fact that New York State hosts 59% of the Dominican community in the US, there are more Dominican elected officials throughout the remainder of United States than in NY proper. New York currently has 6 elected officials of Dominican descent. More than 6 have been elected. All these elections took place post 1991. There are over 20 nationwided, and these are just the ones that are known.

There are also numerous appointed Dominican-American officials in various states. In NJ alone there have been over 30 appointed and elected individuals according to the Conference on Dominican Affairs of NJ (http://www.dominicanconference.org/domelectedofficials.html).
I would estimate that throughout the nation there have been over 70+ appointees.

Mr.Mike, just don't go there. It is clear from your post you are not clear how active we really are.

Oh and PS:Arnie was deciding to either run for Governor of CA or run for president of Austria. That was what was being circulated in the political rumor mill. Don't sleep on Arnie he has always had political aspirations, period.

MrMike said:

Last edited:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
Jozee74 said:
What do you think.....because she is dominican, she lacks discipline and education?? stop being ignorant. :angry:

You cant compare the Dominican Republic to the U.S period. leave it at that. You talk about being wary about any Dominican Holding office.......Look at the U.S and all of the idiots we have in office and they are all American. Lets mention how the U.S is at its worse due to the idiot from Texas that we have as President.

Your insults to our President aside, I think it is wrong for someone to run for office in MY country based on their merit as being from somewhere else, period. Running based on being Dominican is hilarious, Dominicans have made a mockery of public office to a degree seldom seen even in Latin America and every single Dominican who votes is to blame. Running for office based on ties to a minority is basically guaranteeing that the majority interests will be neglected. I am sure there are many Americans, Canadians, etc. that could do an adequate job in public office in the DR but there aren't any because they don't belong there. Neither do Dominicans belong in public office in the US.

Besides, I've researched this woman and would not vote for her regardless where she was from. I don't think anyone has said anything on this board about where this woman strands on anything, some folks are just stoked that she's Dominican, which is exactly my point.

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
MrMike

Besides, I've researched this woman and would not vote for her regardless where she was from. I don't think anyone has said anything on this board about where this woman strands on anything, some folks are just stoked that she's Dominican, which is exactly my point.[/QUOTE]

I bet alot of us here would like to know about your findings on this woman, so do tell if you have the information.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
Jozee74 said:
Besides, I've researched this woman and would not vote for her regardless where she was from. I don't think anyone has said anything on this board about where this woman strands on anything, some folks are just stoked that she's Dominican, which is exactly my point.

I bet alot of us here would like to know about your findings on this woman, so do tell if you have the information.[/QUOTE]

Well my politics, aside from being none of anybody's business are also far from mainstream. I just think she's too liberal - and I don't mind that as much as I think it's just for attention and wanting to champion popular underdogs in order to get press.

But I wouldn't vote for someone who was presented to me as a "Dominican", "Norwegian" or "insert country here" candidate anyway. If that's the way they see themselves, or if that's the public image they have, then they have not integrated into American society enough to carry out public responsibilities in the US.

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
Are You Sure

MrMike said:
I bet alot of us here would like to know about your findings on this woman, so do tell if you have the information.

MrMike said:
Well my politics, aside from being none of anybody's business are also far from mainstream. I just think she's too liberal - and I don't mind that as much as I think it's just for attention and wanting to champion popular underdogs in order to get press.

MrMike said:
But I wouldn't vote for someone who was presented to me as a "Dominican", "Norwegian" or "insert country here" candidate anyway. If that's the way they see themselves, or if that's the public image they have, then they have not integrated into American society enough to carry out public responsibilities in the US.

Are you sure that she is presenting herself as a Dominican??? Personally speaking it might be the Dominican Community....Just like any other American of foreign decent, their people will make sure to let everyone know where "they" came from and how proud they are of it.. it happens in politics, sports, TV etc..

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
As I said......

MrMike said:
Entirely possible, I just get so fuming mad at the Dominican "government" every single day that seeing those two words together makes me see bright red and want to break'em off some.

The Dominican Government only benefits themselves. They dont give 2 sh!ts about the condition their country is in or the people. There is just way too many setbacks for the D.R. Just when they take one step forward, they take 3 steps back.

Maybe with the new president back in office, there is a chance things will change :nervous:

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
I think you need to separate politicians in DR and those in the States.
While not all are perfect they CAN be held accountable here. Those in DR are just simply too corrupt and laking of ethics or moral value to care for the real betterment of ALL the country's people. That is a sad shame. Discussions on that can also be found in the Government Forum.

MrMike said:
Your insults to our President aside, I think it is wrong for someone to run for office in MY country based on their merit as being from somewhere else, period. Running based on being Dominican is hilarious, Dominicans have made a mockery of public office to a degree seldom seen even in Latin America and every single Dominican who votes is to blame. Running for office based on ties to a minority is basically guaranteeing that the majority interests will be neglected. I am sure there are many Americans, Canadians, etc. that could do an adequate job in public office in the DR but there aren't any because they don't belong there. Neither do Dominicans belong in public office in the US.

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
Run, Nader..! Run..!

Jozee74 said:

I want RAlphy for prez...