feeling pretty darn good

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
4 weeks ago I took the ACTFL OPI (American Council of the Teaching of Foreign Languages Oral Proficiency Interview).

It lasted about 30 minutes. A native Spanish speaker asked me lots of questions designed to assess my proficiency. I was able to discuss at length my experiences in Venezuela and the DR. We talked for almost 10 minutes about the role of missionaries in today's society. We also discussed the elections in the DR and Venezuela. These were the more complicated questions; beyond that I waxed poetic on Maine seasons, my garden, and why I am a teacher.

After waiting anxiously for my results, I found out today that I passed at an advanced mid level, two steps below a Superior (native) level! (I have never taken a formal Spanish class, BTW.)

If anyone on the board needs more information on the test, PM me and I can tell you more. It is a common assessment used in education and government and in many US states it can help with your teaching credential. In fact it is required in Maine to become a "Highly Qualified Teacher", a new-fangled thing related to the No Child Left Behind Act.

Also, if you ever get the chance to host, send, or be an exchange student....it is so worth it....you learn much more than ever could be learned in a classroom.

My tester did warn against using too much slang, so I tried really hard not to lapse into my "street" Spanish although I did say "un chin" a few times and "chevere" many times but thankfully avoided anything that could be followed by "tu madre".

To celebrate? I wish I had a big plate of rice and red beans and some roast pork....fresh avocados.....and a drink (cuba libre preferred).

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
although I did say "un chin" a few times and "chevere" many times but thankfully avoided anything that could be followed by "tu madre"

Hee!

Congrats, MaineGirl!

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Congrats, Amity! Quite an achievement! :cool:

If I ever took the test, I am certain that slang (and perhaps some of my dominicanismos) would be my Achiles's heel. :laugh:

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
Great job, Amity. I can only envy your Spanish speaking ability and comprehension level. Thanks for making us all proud.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
MaineGirl said:
My tester did warn against using too much slang, so I tried really hard not to lapse into my "street" Spanish although I did say "un chin" a few times and "chevere" many times but thankfully avoided anything that could be followed by "tu madre".

Congratulations, Amity. Didn't you explain to the tester that it was better to learn street Spanish than correct Spanish so that you could communicate more easily with the average man on the street?
;)

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
Congrats, MG! I took the same test while I was in Spain... I scored around the same as you, except I took Spanish for 12 years! I am very impressed by you!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Mira Amity! ?Qu? vaina e'esa vaina?

Pue' co?o, 'ta bien heavy, s?! Como like, tu sabes, lo hiciste bien chevere.

?Como es que ellos esperaban que una chica del campo de Venezuela iba a habler sin "Chevere"??? Im POS SIBLE!

Well don lass, I be right proud o' youse!!

HB :D:D:D

I join JaneJ in that HEE! regarding the "tu madre" ..That was really nice of you.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Thanks, guys. I really, truly appreciate your support. Without the board discussions on everything under the Dominican sun, I would have had less to talk about.

Pues, gracias!!