Forming a company in the DR?

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
I'm curently working on a business plan for a new service oriented business in the Dominican Republic. I've been looking at forming a company here in the US as a base but I've also begun researching the formation of my company in the DR. I was curious if anyone on the site has actually formed a company in the Dominican Republic? If so why? What benefits did you reap and what was your reasoning behind the decision? Pitfalls and lessons learned?

So far I've found relative information on Title of Real Estate and Banking, Capital Gains or ways around them, and steps to forming a company in the DR. All this information is available from The Dominican Republic Report offered through escape artist for $20. This was worth the $20 for me since it has specifics on starting a company in the DR.

Any input is appreciated.

Dean

Dr.Roth

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 17, 2004
I incoporated in D.R.

There are 2 types of corporations in D.R. One that you can for by yourself which has limitations and the other is a 7 director corporation. The best thing to do is to consult a Dominican attorney. There is an attorney Guzman that answers these questions on here.

ALGS

Jul 14, 2003
Dr.Roth said:
There are 2 types of corporations in D.R. One that you can for by yourself which has limitations and the other is a 7 director corporation. The best thing to do is to consult a Dominican attorney. There is an attorney Guzman that answers these questions on here.

You should post your questions in the Legal Forum

ALGS

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
slas7713 said:
The page link is:

http://www.escapeartist.com/e_Books/Residency_Report.html

If I can assist any further let me know.

Dean

Escaoe Artistst CHARGES for this information??? US $20???? On DR1 it is free!! Check the archives relating to Company formations & you'll get a load of information/experiences!! If you send me a quick note by e-mail (via DR1 or direct) I'll send you what pamphletes I have aquired over the years free (well, they didn't cost ME anything, so why should I charge??). They might even lead you to a good business lawyer too! - Grahame.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
When you talk about companies in the DR, there is really only one way to go: the standard SA (sociedad an?nima) or C. por A. (compa??a por acciones) with a minimum of 7 shareholders. The other legal structures available are so outdated and cumbersome that nobody uses them.

The advantages of the SA are pretty much the same as those of a limited liability entity anywhere. An individual shareholder is not liable with his personal assets for the obligations of the corporation. His potential loss is limited to his investment in the corporation.

Corporations are also a useful tool for estate planning, specially for foreigners owning real estate in the Dominican Republic who wish to avoid the application of Dominican ?forced heirship? rules.