Question for the divers

DaveinNY

Jul 9, 2004
I'll be doing three consecutive days of diving in POP/Sosua the last week of September. Given the choice between a full 1/2mm suit and a full 3mm suit, what would you opt for? I'm pretty cold tolerant.

Thanks!
Dave

dontuseEltour

Feb 2, 2003
We dove in just rash gaurds and felt fairly comfotable but it was every otherday. Being from NJ i'd say were fairly cold tolerant but would have worn the 3mm if we had had them lol. Some of the dives were fairly shallow so down time was max and we did start to feel the effects.
Have fun.

DaveinNY

Jul 9, 2004
dontuseEltour said:
We dove in just rash gaurds and felt fairly comfotable but it was every otherday. Being from NJ i'd say were fairly cold tolerant but would have worn the 3mm if we had had them lol. Some of the dives were fairly shallow so down time was max and we did start to feel the effects.
Have fun.

Always nice to hear from another member of the Northeast Bluelip Brigade ;)

Who did you dive with that they let you max? I was looking at Sea Pro but I'm afraid it's a typical "40 and out" profile.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Take the 3mm.........

If you're fortunate to dive with a shop that lets you "max out" you'll appreciate the added comfort. Keep in mind you're diving in the Atlantic and not the Carribean where we wear 5mm because we ALWAYS max out even during deeper than 40 dives! ;)

dontuseEltour

Feb 2, 2003
Dave we dove down the coast a bit in Las Terranas with Sellina divers was a small operation very personal. The diving was as good as it gets anywere if you look at it in the right way IE there is no conservation or protected areas even what there is isn't so amount of fish and size wasn't what you might see in GC but it was made up for by the large areas that obviuosly hadn't had the cattle boats dropping people for yrs. We felt seeing live reef giant sea fans stone crab the size of a foot ball and yep coral that was alive made up for it. Every dive we saw somthing diffrent we hadn't seen before.
6mnths before we dove GC only to see dead reef have idiots climbing over you in swim throughs to just what seemed to be barren areas wasn't fun was expensive ,and as we had dove there 14 yrs before could see a drastic loss of quality. Some will think i goofy saying this but it's the way we see it we dive a lot and are saddened to see the effects of over diving even with conservation.

GREATZKY

Sep 5, 2003
DaveinNY said:
Always nice to hear from another member of the Northeast Bluelip Brigade ;)

Who did you dive with that they let you max? I was looking at Sea Pro but I'm afraid it's a typical "40 and out" profile.

* ? #3 * *
09-07-2004, 04:46 PM

Rocky
Gold
Warns Level: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGuy
Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

For fishing contact Pablo of Aqua Adventures www.aqua-adventures.net/

For SCUBA contact Brad of Northern Coast Diving www.northerncoastdiving.com

Gregg

Dave,
I have dove with both Brad G. and Pablo and I recommend the both of them , they are Great Guys and very professional!!! cant go wrong with either !!!!!
Have fun

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
DaveinNY said:
I'll be doing three consecutive days of diving in POP/Sosua the last week of September. Given the choice between a full 1/2mm suit and a full 3mm suit, what would you opt for? I'm pretty cold tolerant.

Whereabouts are you staying? Will you be in Sosua or POP?

if you are cold tolerant then i dont hink you will have any probs. I have done about a dozen dives over my last 3 visits or so, i have never felt cold. The dives you do dont have to be shallow, you should be able to pick your dive sites off a map.

solituna

Jan 26, 2004
3mm

Go for a 3mm. As the dives get longer a 3mm will let you concentrate on diving, not on staying warm.

Solituna
PADI DM