Taxi fares in SD

mike775103

Aug 25, 2004
What can I expect for taxi fares from the airport to downtown SD? Will there be any issues if I don't have any RD$? Also, what are the fares for local taxi trips around downtown and to the Caribe bus station? How much negotiation is expected, or are the fares fairly fixed?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
mike775103 said:
What can I expect for taxi fares from the airport to downtown SD? Will there be any issues if I don't have any RD$? Also, what are the fares for local taxi trips around downtown and to the Caribe bus station? How much negotiation is expected, or are the fares fairly fixed?

Not sure about the airport fare but local starts around RD$90 for a reasonable distance. If you feel they're overcharging, ask them to call the "central" to ask for the "tarifa". That way they can't cheat you as bad... ;)

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
mike775103 said:

US$20 to $25 to SD from SDQ if you can bargain well - they don't expect pesos from me, though I am sure there is a peso price in there somewhere.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I've paid 400 pesos appx.$9 from Duarte st. (front of Plaza Lama) to Boca Chica and that's past the airport.

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
During my last 2 recent trips, I routinely paid 100 to 120 pesos with Apollo taxi (fare plus tip). I think they charge RD$90 as a flat rate. I've gone from Maximo Gomez to the Dominican Fiesta (about 6 miles) many times on that rate.

Of course, hotel taxis are to be avoided if possible. Whether from the Fiesta or Courtyard Marriott, I get hit for RD$300 if I use a hotel taxi. Since the peso has appreciated, that's now a stiff $8 bucks one way.

In early August, when the peso was 44 to 1, a 120 peso taxi fare translated to $2.72 Now, at 37 to 1, a 120 peso payout is $3.24. If you take 5 or 6 little taxi trips a day like me, that difference adds up quick over a week.

Be careful if you ask the driver to stop temporarily when taking you from point A to point B in the city. One time, I had a taxi driver stop for 5 minutes while I went into a colmado to buy a few items. I came out and hotel taxi continued on the destination, but tried to tack on another 400 pesos for a 700 peso total fare. That was a blatant ripoff.

But, some taxi drivers (greedy ones) want to argue that is another fare, because you made them stop. Again, I've only had those situations with the higher priced taxis from the major hotels. Ask the driver beforehand to avoid surprises. :squareeye

Last edited:

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
Tipping Santo Domingo taxi drivers is entirely discretionary. For me, it depends on the distance traveled, whether the driver had to transverse through bumper-to-bumper traffic, and so on. If I'm calling a taxi at 2 am, I'm a liable to tip the driver more. Sometimes, I may pay the flat rate all day long. If one particular driver seems to drive me around a lot, I will throw some extra pesos his way. But, in general, paying the established rate is standard practice. I don't believe I have ever had a driver ask for a propina.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Apolo Taxi in SD

Me too, I also recommend Apolo Taxi (tel 537-0000), rates from $90 and you can ask the operator how much it will be for your ride.
Avoid hotel taxis and the taxis waiting in the Zona Colonial around El Conde street, they always try to charge more.
Bartolomeo

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
I vote for Apollo Taxi as well

I find they are the best, most reasonable and consistent with their fares. I usually get around the city from point a to point b in 15 minutes approx (miles/ km sorry I can't say) and they charge $80-90RD.

The Hotel taxis are robbers in the making. One time last year I took taxi from Hotel Napolitano to a street near Hotel Bella Vista about 15 minutes away. I paid 200 pesos. I made the same trip with Apollo Taxi the next day and it cost me 80 pesos just to give you an idea of the difference.

From the airport into Sto.Domingo (the Malecon area for example) I usually pay $30USD. I have never been offered a peso fare. If you are going to tip use your discretion.

-Lesley D

Last edited:

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Lesley D said:
I find they are the best, most reasonable and consistent with their fares. I usually get around the city from point a to point b in 15 minutes approx (miles/ km sorry I can't say) and they charge $80-90RD.

The Hotel taxis are robbers in the making. One time last year I took taxi from Hotel Napolitano to a street near Hotel Bella Vista about 15 minutes away. I paid 200 pesos. I made the same trip with Apollo Taxi the next day and it cost me 80 pesos just to give you an idea of the difference.

From the airport into Sto.Domingo (the Malecon area for example) I usually pay $30USD. I have never been offered a peso fare. If you are going to tip use your discretion.

-Lesley D

Good information, Lesley. Thank you.