Chavon River - Photos

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This is the bridge that crosses the river on the road between La Romana and Bayahibe.

---------------------------

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Wow

I have driven acroos this bridge 100 times or more. This is unbeleivable.

Even worse it is still raining in La Romana right now.
Charlie

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Same here... anyone know yet for sure if it was washed away or if it's just "hidden"?

LAD

Sep 17, 2004
Robert:
Thanks for posting those incredible pictures. I'm wondering if the vehicle shown descending the road on the opposite side in pictures three may in fact be the vehicle shown floating in the water in the other pcitures.

I'd be interested to hear more info on conditions in La Romana. I have a son living in that city right now and last I heard from him was Wednesday.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Alternate route

KateP said:
Same here... anyone know yet for sure if it was washed away or if it's just "hidden"?

One of the really bad things abouth this bridge over Highway 3 is that an alternate route will add hours to a trip to anythng on the other sides.
Charlie

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Robert is the "superman" of great photos lately......

....he's everywhere...he's everywhere.....

Great pics Rob!

Best, Dave

MrNiceGuy

Sep 12, 2004
I was on this bridge last week!!!

Robert said:
This is the bridge that crosses the river on the road between La Romana and Bayahibe.

---------------------------

Oh my GOD, I was on this bridge last week. This is terrible.

Last edited by a moderator:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Wow! I guess it'll be awhile before we get to go to Isla Catalina!

Sure hope the bridge is still under there and just needing minor repairs!
If not it could be awhile before it's rebuilt! :cry:

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
hope I'm wrong

I don't claim to be a hydraulic engineer, but with the volume of water I see in those pics, I'd be amazed if there is much left of that bridge!

MrNiceGuy

Sep 12, 2004
Higuey and Barcelo Bavaro Resort

Does anyone have any pictures from the Barcelo Bavaro Resort or from Higuey. Has the beach been destroyed? Is Higuey flooded. I still have no response from Higuey and i would like to start a relief fund for my girlfriend and her family. Pictures would help a lot.

Thanks,

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
MrNiceGuy said:
Does anyone have any pictures from the Barcelo Bavaro Resort or from Higuey. Has the beach been destroyed? Is Higuey flooded. I still have no response from Higuey and i would like to start a relief fund for my girlfriend and her family. Pictures would help a lot.

Thanks,

Why would the beach be destroyed? No way. The beach is still there. The hotel suffered roof damage.

Problem with the barrios in Higuey is that many were built in land adjacent to rivers. The intense rains brought flooding in the city. Also, because it was expected to be just at max a hurricane category 1, people didn't reallly take it serious, and left preparations for last minute. When the hurricane changed course on Thursday morning, heading west into the DR instead of taking its forecast more northwestern course, it caught many by surprice, with evacuations from the vulnerable areas taking place that same morning.

LynnCox

Feb 18, 2002
timelessdreams said:
Looks like a bus to me.
I think it may be the restaurant that used to be there on the river...it was washed away with the bridge. I sent Robert pictures that were taken from the La Romana side of the bridge. Not sure if he's going to post them??? Hope so as they show more details than these pictures do as they show the pilons and the broken road from the other side.

Lynn

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Photos from Lynn. The bridge is no longer, as you can see.
My guess is, it will be a while before you can take that road to Punta Cana, Bavaro, Higuey etc.
-----------------------

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Looks like the waterfall would be worth seeing. Hope they get the bridge built soon. Awesome photos!
mkohn

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Dissapointment

mkohn said:
Looks like the waterfall would be worth seeing. Hope they get the bridge built soon. Awesome photos!
mkohn

Sorry to dissapoint you but that is not a waterfall, only runoff from excess rain.
Charlie

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Dissapointment

mkohn said:
mkohn

Sorry to dissapoint you but that is not a waterfall, only run off from excessive rain.
Charlie