Fishing in the DR

Fodder

Sep 16, 2004
** Hope everyone has faired well through Jeanne! **

Hi all, may I start by congratulating this comunity on a great website. Since my girlfriend decided to treat me with a holiday in the DR for my birthday I've been a regular visitor to this site in the hope of getting quality information on the DR.

Well, next month, 17 October, we will be arriving in the North DR for our two week, all inclusive holiday. I'm sorry I can't be more specific about the location at this point as we are on an allocation on arrival deal. We have been told it may be Puerto Plata or Sousa area.
I live in Jersey, a small island in the English Channel, and am an avid fisherman, I do most salt water fishing except for fly. Although I feel certain that if I was to spend my entire trip fishing, my girlfriend would use ME as bait, we have be given 'permission' to fish a little hehe.
I plan on bringing the following kit, 11ft Shimano STC beastmaster spinning rod. 1 Shimano Stradic fixed spool reel (14lb braid), 1 Shimano Twin Power fixed spool reel (14lb braid), assortment of rapala/yo zuri plugs, and a handful of basic tackle including wire trace.
I was planning to fish off the beach, and I was hoping to catch anything, but would love to catch bonefish or anything that will give me a good fight!
It have recently read in a magazine article that there are two methods I can emply, they both include wading out into areas that appear protected by offshore coral reefs.
The first is plugging, basically spinning with the artificial lures, top water lures being the best choice here.
The second involves obtaining crabs or mantis shrimps from dead 'finger coral' and presenting them on a small No 6 hook, no a basic 'chubber' float rig with some shot weight.

I would love to go out on a boat, but the holiday has taken most of our money, and I know that most commerial trips can cost a small fortune! Is there any way of making a boat trip a cheaper option? Are there any forum members that fish from a boat in this area? Would they consider taking a gringo out with them?

So the questions I would like answered are as follows.
Am I forgetting any kit? Is there anything I should not be without?
Where are the best places to do my fishing?
Is there any type of fish I should be going for that I appear to be missing in my post?
Am I going to be wasting my time, and should I travel lighter and not bother taking my gear?

Any help/advice/information would be greatly appreciated!!

Stewart.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Fodder said:
** Hope everyone has faired well through Jeanne! **
Stewart.

Awe Jeez Stewart! We're all cleaning up 100's of downed trees in the roads and coping with water pouring from the sky in buckets -- no power, intermittent phone service and so on - but we're really nice people down here, so if no-one answers you, please try again in a week. :cross-eye

Last edited:

Fodder

Sep 16, 2004
I realise my timing isn't at it's best, it's hard to decypher the extent of the damage from reading the posts. Some people say they are barely affected, others are talking about the horrible destruction.

If nothing else, perhaps someone might find a little escape from the situation by posting in these threads. I'm not trying to belittle the situation, but one thing that seems to come through in all the posts I've read, is this comunity's will to try and continue as normal as soon as they can.

Once again, I hope everyone faired well, and I very eager to 'taste' your beautiful island, I've been waiting over 6 months and I know I wont be dissapointed.

Doodoo

Jun 1, 2004
charter

We stayed at Breezes POP last year, and I took a charter boat out. It wasn't expensive or at least I didn't think so, you could prob get a trip from Sosua cheaper. They took us out for the day, fed us gave us plenty to drink. the fishing was fantastic, but was told it's better to go when its raining. If you look at the media gallery, there are some pictures of the trip. If your good lady wants take her along, it is the same price to watch, but it will give her a chance to tan up.

Fodder

Sep 16, 2004
Did you book from the resort or find someone at the docks?

Also, providing there is beach fishing to be done, that would be the cheapest and easiest to arrange.

Fodder

Sep 16, 2004
Great, thanks for the link!!

Are there any DR1 members that live up in the north and fish alot?

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Fodder,
When most people think of fishing in the DR they are talking about offshore trolling on big lumbering boats. Inshore sportfishing is not popular there for various reasons which I will not go into.
There are plenty of good fighting fish to target from shore on the North Coast but Bonefish is not one of them as there are few Flats except in the Montecristi area.
Topwater plugs are a good choice. Other types of Lures such as rapala's and mirror-lures are good as well. Try a nice shiny spoon for some great Barracuda action.
Crabs are a good bait as well as shrimp. Forget mantis Shrimp as they are hard to find and if you have never handled one before you will be in for a big surprise as you find yourself heading to the clinic to get stiched up. Mantis Shrimp are nasty mothers.
Barracuda, Jacks, Makerrel and snappers are all spieces you can target from the shoreline.
Your tackle choices are excellent. May I suggest you bring along your fly-fishing gear. Saltwater Fly-fishing is the ultimate test of an angler. Once you try it you will wonder why you sent hours falsecasting for a 1 lb trout on a stream you can spit across

Fodder

Sep 16, 2004
Thanks Tony! Glad you got my message :)

I dont have any fly-fishing gear, I've spent so much on all my other gear, that buying fly-fishing gear would probably lose me my girlfriend (hmmmm more fishing time..NO! forget that!).

Concerning marks, is there any you would be willing to 'give up' the information to? Do you think it would be worth heading to the Montecristi area in search of the bonefish (old I REALLY want to catch one of them!). With time being a restraint, I need to know I'm not 'wasting' time fishing in the wrong areas. Preferablly somewhere with a bit of eye-candy and a bar close buy for the girlfriend! hehe

What about tarpin, snook and permit?Should I even be considering these?

Once again, thank you for your time in answering.

Stewart

Fodder

Sep 16, 2004
If I was going to try Monte Cristi, what would be the best way of getting there, and how long would it take?

I think we're going to be in the Puerto Plata area.

thorndike

Feb 7, 2004
The DOMINICANFISHERMAN.COM

The Dominicanfisherman.com will opening Dec 18 . The web will be launched Dec.1 or before. The fisherman is Freddy Suriel he is a local of Cabarete and has fished every where in the North for almost 30 yeasrs. Sorry we missed you on thisa trip. Stay tuned for more info for other fisherman.