Dominican people are sweet :)

Pomli

Sep 17, 2004
I went for the first time in DR at the end of August, and I trilled a lot! I was staying with my mom at Bahia Principe near of Rio San Juan, a nice hotel by the way. Staff were nice, and always smile :) As I know quite of Spanish, every day, I went out of the resort, to visit Rio San Juan, Nagua, Soshua, and to do a jeep safari excursion. I got a cheap trip to Rio San Juan in motocycle; it's very frightening but the driver was very careful about the potholes as he knows that they cause deaths. I also tried the gua-gua, a cheaper way to travel than using taxi. Do you know that while driving seems dangerous on their road, that so little car accidents happened? Way much less that here! I don't remember the number, but seems that us, industrialized countries, car accidents are way higher and frequent! Dominican people are poor but are very social people. The environment and their conditions of life reminded me a lot of some part in China, but with less crowded people :p

Something that hit me is that lots of Dominican guys at the resort asked me to give them a French kiss. Why? What does a French kiss represents to them to ask me so frequently? Like I talked with them for 5 minutes and they request me a kiss! I know that I look very young despite my age (some people said that I looked like 12 years while I'm going on my 21!) but I think there's another reason. Despite of those little incidents, I met a chico with who I fell in love ;) now, I'm worried about the damages caused by Jeanne in the region. Hope that all people that I met are all fine...

Anyways, DR is a very nice country and I was very surprised to go to such a beautiful place that I even did not pick up (my travel agent, a friend of the family did it!).

Thanks to all Dominican people, who have been so nice, so friendly, so sympatic with me while I was there. I'll be back soon for sure ;) I miss dancing merengue-bachata and listen to your music! Since I'm back, necessito a praticar mi espanol cada dia !! Y voy a hacer esta hasta que regreasar a vuestro pais hehe!

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Pomli said:
I met a chico with who I fell in love

Hi,

I am glad that you were able to enjoy yourself
but be very careful when it comes to falling in love
with this chico.

You probably don't know what love is yet and like many
other people that end up thinking that it is love when
in fact it was just probably a good time they had whether
it was good dancing in combination with some alcohol and
a lil whispering in the ears, specially while dancing to the
cool rythm of a bachata song.

If this is the case you are in love with the way this chico
dances, the alcohol, his smooth talking, oops scratch that one
because he probably was not able to speak english.

Next time you talk to him tell him that you have an emergency
and you need him to western union you a few thousands pesos
so that you can take care of your emergencies in the states.

I can almost guaranteed you all his smooth talking will stop right there
and then you would save yourself from a (dominican tiguere).

stone cold

Pomli

Sep 17, 2004
Mr_DR said:
Pomli said:

Hi,

with this chico.

stone cold

I know that those things of falling in love over vacations have its own dangers, so I'm careful. I haven't planned to fall in love over my trip at the beginning, it came like that..I did not fall in love with his way to dance or with the words he said. I even ditched him in the bar because as all the other chicos, he asked me for a kiss. A scene of jealousy even burst lately between him and another guy with who I was only just socializing, and it has involved 5 security guards! I fell in love with the way he is, his natural way to express, and his warm personality which was completely different from my ex indifferent and cold. Still, I was and still is skeptical to long distance relationship. I'm now just enjoying good time chatting with him or writing e-mails, which help me to practice my Spanish (my fourth language that I want to be fluent in!), and which of course is not harmful, aren't they? By the way, I'm living in Canada, not in States. Yeah, he does not know lots about English, but I do know enough Spanish so he and lots of local people understand me, and I understand them. :) And be relieved, as I am a university student, I know where are my priorities go first and how to manage my budget!!

I don't think that falling in love immediately means marriage. We all need time to discover ourselves, to discover our partner, and be sure that every is what both people want in their life before comitting to something. If let's say I decide to marry him, I would be tempted to tell him that life in Canada or any industralized countries is not for him, that DR is the best place to live (despite the hurricane =/) as he won't be isolated in his own world due to language. Anyways, I am still too young to think about that and to commit myself to something serious :p

If one day I return to DR, it will be mainly for the country and the sympatic people that I've met over there! And also for their nice culture, their dances and their music! Viva DR!! :):)

Last edited:

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
Before you get bashed by other posters i'll advice you to reconsider any plans regarding future visits to the DR. It would be unfortunate that you change your views and opinion about dominican people after getting abused while having any kind of informal sentimental relationship with a native, as many other have fallen for this trap again and again. Steer away from resort workers, their profession is only skin deep. Before you know it you'll be sending him $ or other effects overseas. I suggest you get to know a little better the people, have lots of fun but beware of your feelings. You are warned.

hkuh

Sep 16, 2004
Not to be negative, because I know that love can happen anywhere between any two types or origins of people...BUT be careful....I don't know if there is a nickname for the guys like this in the DR, but in Jamaica they called them "Rent a Dread". It's basically a guy who charms a North American or European woman while she's on vacation, makes her fall in love and then plays her for money and other goods. Just be careful...a lot of Island men think that gringo women are naive and many of us are unfortunately. If you see the first red flag, get rid of him.

Pomli

Sep 17, 2004
Oche said:
Before you get bashed by other posters i'll advice you to reconsider any plans regarding future visits to the DR. It would be unfortunate that you change your views and opinion about dominican people after getting abused while having any kind of informal sentimental relationship with a native, as many other have fallen for this trap again and again. Steer away from resort workers, their profession is only skin deep. Before you know it you'll be sending him $ or other effects overseas. I suggest you get to know a little better the people, have lots of fun but beware of your feelings. You are warned.

yeah I am warned I know,
if I am going there, it will be with other people too, not me alone, and it will be mainly traveling and having fun.
and he wasn't working at the hotel where I stayed, he worked for another one that is now closed for renovations
and uh I don't have that many cash to send to him :p student living away of her parent's houses for studies and who has to pay for everything on her own, you get the picture?!

PuertoRican2

Dec 20, 2004
hkuh said:
Not to be negative, because I know that love can happen anywhere between any two types or origins of people...BUT be careful....I don't know if there is a nickname for the guys like this in the DR, but in Jamaica they called them "Rent a Dread". It's basically a guy who charms a North American or European woman while she's on vacation, makes her fall in love and then plays her for money and other goods. Just be careful...a lot of Island men think that gringo women are naive and many of us are unfortunately. If you see the first red flag, get rid of him.

and from what country do you come from ?

sajomagirl

Jan 2, 2005
www.stores.ebay.com
Its ok she have to take care about fall in love , and nobody know what is the real love if don't have an experience. is real in my country DR we have a lot of pool people but that don't mean then everyone in there are (tiguere) we have a lot of good people in my country, maybe because you had the bad experience met bad people , mean everybody is bad. every country have good and bad people, and this country or race like you call (white skin)is not the most safe to talk about tigueres of my country because you could find lions in here. The advise i want to tell you, you can build a beautiful relationship and don't give your money to no one.
Yesenia (sajomagirl)
Mr_DR said:
Pomli said:

Hi,

with this chico.

stone cold

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Un beso Frances

Pomli said:
Something that hit me is that lots of Dominican guys at the resort asked me to give them a French kiss. Why? What does a French kiss represents to them to ask me so frequently?

I hope that you did not French kissed these guys every time that they asked you for a French kiss with the American version of a French kiss because to my understanding of a Dominican version of a French kiss is just two innocent kisses one in each cheek. That is what we call a French kiss.

I think what these guys are doing is just pulling your leg since these guys are most likely aware of the way you guys French kiss.

UN beso Frances/ European kiss