Alternatives To A.i.'s

Jackson

Sep 12, 2004
I think I've seen a few people here recommend not staying at A.I.'s if you want a more closer, genuine, experience with the D.R. and her people? I've been to the D.R. once (stayed at a A.I.), and planning to return this coming Jan. I'd be interested in a more authentic experience this time around but I don't know where to start? maybe some of you with experience could help answer some questions for me?

- What kind of options are there?

- What parts of the Island could offer this experince? (not a heavy tourist area).

- Would it be possible to lodge with a Dominican family somewhere?

- Would I need to have a good working knowledge of Spanish?

- Approx. how much would it cost? I assume it would be more expensive, because at a A.I. you're airfare, meals, and drinks are included in the package price?

- If I stayed with a family, how would get around (transportation)?

Thank-you.

Jackson.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Options.

Jackson said:
- What kind of options are there?.
There are thousands of hotels throughout the country of all sizes and price ranges.

Jackson said:
- What parts of the Island could offer this experince? (not a heavy tourist area). .
Generally the North coast is considered to be a better option than the South.

Jackson said:
- Would it be possible to lodge with a Dominican family somewhere?.
Not such a great idea. You are probably used to certain living standards, like 24 hour electricity and water and indoor plumbing.
Jackson said:
- Would I need to have a good working knowledge of Spanish?.
Helpful, but not necessary.

Jackson said:
- Approx. how much would it cost? I assume it would be more expensive, because at a A.I. you're airfare, meals, and drinks are included in the package price?.
It should cost approx. the same or less.

Jackson said:
- If I stayed with a family, how would get around (transportation)?.
Transportation is easy and cheap. A 4 1/2 hour bus ride in a Greyhound type bus, accross the country, from Santo Domingo to the North coast costs approx. $7 to $8 US.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Hello,
books such as 'Lonely Planet' and 'Rough guide to Dominican Republic' provide great info for the independent traveller. They give all info you need on lodging, restaurants, transport, etc.
Otherwise if you know where you are going, do a search here for info on that particular area.
Bartolomeo

Pomli

Sep 17, 2004
Jackson said:
I think I've seen a few people here recommend not staying at A.I.'s if you want a more closer, genuine, experience with the D.R. and her people? I've been to the D.R. once (stayed at a A.I.), and planning to return this coming Jan. I'd be interested in a more authentic experience this time around but I don't know where to start? maybe some of you with experience could help answer some questions for me?

- What kind of options are there?

- What parts of the Island could offer this experince? (not a heavy tourist area).

- Would it be possible to lodge with a Dominican family somewhere?

- Would I need to have a good working knowledge of Spanish?

- Approx. how much would it cost? I assume it would be more expensive, because at a A.I. you're airfare, meals, and drinks are included in the package price?

- If I stayed with a family, how would get around (transportation)?

Thank-you.

Jackson.

Hi there
I don't know all the answer to your questions, but here some
from what I heard about my bf there, you can get an apartment for about 140$ CAN (ab't 3500 pesos) for 15 days but price should varied from place to place. Food is not too expensive and cheapest means of transportation is the gua-gua (like for a trip of 1h30 by gua-gua cost me 70 pesos) but be expected to travel sometimes in a packed car or with chickens as I have experienced!! If you want to travel in non-touristic area, the best is to know Spanish. There should be some people around knowing to speak English as the main industry in the country is tourism, but from my experience in Nagua (a town not really a good touristic place), it seems to me that speaking Spanish is way better. But if you tried in English, for sure they will try to help you out! Dominican people will help you anytime even if both of you don't understand each other due to language barrier. With some sort of signs and gestures with hands will certainly help as it is in any other cases. From my touristic guide, he told me that unfortunately, in the capital, Santo Domingo, people are totally different from people living in countries and they are not that helpful if you ask them directions (for them, it's like an insult that you take some of their time by stopping them to ask for directions. They will even show you the wrong directions). I haven't been in the capital, but just looking how disgusted my guide was to think about doing do tours in that town...

I heard that the peninsule of Samana is starting to be a touristic area, and it's a beautiful place not to miss and that you can also watch whales. I haven't been there yet, but wish to go. I heard also that Pico Duarte, the highest peak of the island is also worth to drop by. For other places, I don't know..

Hope that I help you in some sort of way. The best thing is also to borrow a book from the library on DR so you an be better inform of where are the places, what are the things not too miss, etc.

-Anna