secrets excellence

debj41

Sep 19, 2004
We too are supposed to go to secrets on Oct 2. Does anyone know the damage at this resort, the beach, the access, etc., etc...
We would appreciate any info.
Thanks.

reevesm

Sep 19, 2004
debj41 said:
We too are supposed to go to secrets on Oct 2. Does anyone know the damage at this resort, the beach, the access, etc., etc...
We would appreciate any info.
Thanks.

we're due to travel to secrets on the 29/9, the travel agents are stating everything is fine, but i have read on another site secrets has been hit really bad.

debj41

Sep 19, 2004
what site?

reevesm said:
we're due to travel to secrets on the 29/9, the travel agents are stating everything is fine, but i have read on another site secrets has been hit really bad.

What site are you referring to?

Thanks

reevesm

Sep 19, 2004
debj41 said:
What site are you referring to?

Thanks

Check Tripadvisor, there's somebody on there who got back yesterday.

If you hear anything could you post it here please.

many thanks

reevesm

Sep 19, 2004
Hlywud said:
Secrets will be closed for a coupleof weeks from the information I have read and received, touristed were helicoptered out tothe airport to return home.
PUJ is open but tour companies are taking people out and not bringing any in presently.

Many thanks for the info. Where did you get the info about it being closed for a couple of weeks

anggallie

Sep 16, 2004
Please keep updated

Could you please keep posting any Secrets info you recieve as we are planned to arrive Oct 9th and becoming very anxious. 10th Anniversary celebration!!!
Thanks a bunch

jamio215

Sep 20, 2004
anggallie said:
Could you please keep posting any Secrets info you recieve as we are planned to arrive Oct 9th and becoming very anxious. 10th Anniversary celebration!!!
Thanks a bunch

We just got back this evening from Secrets, and the resort won't be usable for quite some time. My husband spoke to the GM during the evac and he said it would be at least a month before they would have guests back. Even if it is open for 10/2 there is no way it will be 100%. However, its an awesome resort and the staff is second to none. When you do get to go you will not be disappointed.

P.S. More than likely, you will read negative reviews over the next few days attempting to slam the resort/staff. Keep in mind, because of the situation, there was no power or running water for 3 days. People certainly were concerned and somewhat scared. Could management have been more organized or prepared (with an evacuation plan, etc), yes. The staff however deserves tremendous credit. These people knew nothing about the fate of there own families but continued to be positive and helpful to the guests. One of many examples I can provide. . . . in the midst of the eye, which brought 45 minutes of calm before the other side of the eyewall passed through, the guests were getting their breakfast, and supplies for the day (fruit, yogurt, and paper necesseties). As my husband and I were preparing to eat, a staff member stopped us, set up a table with a tablecloth, pulled out my chair for me to sit, and opened our bottles of soda for us.

With great thanks to the Dominican Army, ALL guests were safely transported by helicopter (3 to 4 choppers at a time) to a more safe area with food, water, and facilities.

Hope this helps!!

reevesm

Sep 19, 2004
Secrets Excellence

I was due to travel to secrets on the 29/9/04, i have been searching the web for info on the storm for the last few days. I got fed up with this and called the hotel direct this morning. The guy who answered stated that they are not accepting any guests at the moment, i asked how long it would take to clean up and he said he wasn't sure, maybe 3 weeks or maybe a month or two.

Currently in the process of changing my hol, gutted was really looking forward to secrets.

jhuffster

Sep 20, 2004
We just got back last night from Secrets after being helicoptered out by the Dominican Army. There is a LOT of damage to the resort and the management told us they thought it would be at least a month before they could reopen and I would have to agree it would be at least that long.
The staff was incredibly helpful during all this even tho management didn't really seem to have their act together to get us out of there. There was a Marine sgt. there that sort of took over to coordinate attempts at evacuation. He talked to Camp LeJeune and to the American Ambassador in Santo Domingo by cellphone to try and get some action. The Minister of Tourism finally arrived on Friday by helo personally to tell us more helicopters would be coming on Saturday to evacuate everyone. And they did. Three Jet Rangers and 2 Hueys arrived and started evac in the morning. We got out about 1PM on a Huey with 9 other guests.
It was a gorgeous resort with a great staff and we will be returning in the future.

nsalt

Sep 20, 2004
News about Secrets Excellence

I just spoke with my travel agent. It is true that the resort was hit very badly and is not accepting guests. I still do not know when the resort will re-open, I was supposed to go on Thursday.

nsalt

Sep 20, 2004
resort damage

Could you please write some more information about the damage to the resort. Obviously the whole country has been damaged and there is a lot of flooding. I just spoke to someone at the hotel and they said they are closed for 10 days. That does not seem like a lot of time to get everything in order. Even if the hotel is fixed, I would imagine that the roads to and from the airport are damaged and it will be a while until there is electricity and running water. I was supposed to go there on Thursday. Thanks for any information you can offer.

jhuffster said:
We just got back last night from Secrets after being helicoptered out by the Dominican Army. There is a LOT of damage to the resort and the management told us they thought it would be at least a month before they could reopen and I would have to agree it would be at least that long.
The staff was incredibly helpful during all this even tho management didn't really seem to have their act together to get us out of there. There was a Marine sgt. there that sort of took over to coordinate attempts at evacuation. He talked to Camp LeJeune and to the American Ambassador in Santo Domingo by cellphone to try and get some action. The Minister of Tourism finally arrived on Friday by helo personally to tell us more helicopters would be coming on Saturday to evacuate everyone. And they did. Three Jet Rangers and 2 Hueys arrived and started evac in the morning. We got out about 1PM on a Huey with 9 other guests.
It was a gorgeous resort with a great staff and we will be returning in the future.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
nsalt said:
Could you please write some more information about the damage to the resort. Obviously the whole country has been damaged and there is a lot of flooding. I just spoke to someone at the hotel and they said they are closed for 10 days. That does not seem like a lot of time to get everything in order. Even if the hotel is fixed, I would imagine that the roads to and from the airport are damaged and it will be a while until there is electricity and running water. I was supposed to go there on Thursday. Thanks for any information you can offer.

The electricity in Punta Cana has been back on for a couple of days which means that most hotels should also have water. Most of the damage that was seen in the hotels is parts of roofs ripped off, flooding, trees down and in some cases windows blown out. As of yesterday the main roads were pretty much cleared although I couldn't say how it is around Secrets. As for the "whole country" being damaged, the south part of the island was lucky and in Santo Domingo the only thing we got was a lot of rain and some winds. Punta Cana and Bavaro were hit hard since that's where Jeanne came inland as a cat. 1 hurricane. The biggest problem right now in that area is re-establishing routes in and out of Punta Cana since some of the bridges were swept away. As soon as that's done, things should get back to normal faster.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
KateP said:
The electricity in Punta Cana has been back on for a couple of days which means that most hotels should also have water. Most of the damage that was seen in the hotels is parts of roofs ripped off, flooding, trees down and in some cases windows blown out. As of yesterday the main roads were pretty much cleared although I couldn't say how it is around Secrets. As for the "whole country" being damaged, the south part of the island was lucky and in Santo Domingo the only thing we got was a lot of rain and some winds. Punta Cana and Bavaro were hit hard since that's where Jeanne came inland as a cat. 1 hurricane. The biggest problem right now in that area is re-establishing routes in and out of Punta Cana since some of the bridges were swept away. As soon as that's done, things should get back to normal faster.

Could add to this that Maimon, Cofresi, Playa Dorada hotels are back to normal, and the cleanup is proceeding fast in Sosua and Cabarete areas. So, the storm is past history in those areas, too. By October, most areas will be back to normal. We are waiting for a detailed list of the hotels that are not back to normal and will need weeks to recover completely and will make this available as soon as we get it.

nsalt

Sep 20, 2004
travel by 10/17

I am sorry for all the postings, however I just found out that American Airlines is making me take my trip by October 17th regardless of the condition of Secrets. Is this enough time for the resort to be cleaned up? I have heard so many good things about the resort and I really do not want to go to another island, but at the same time I do not want to go to a resort that is not in good condition. Any status of Secrets and the roads leading to secrets would be greatly appreciated.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
nsalt said:
I am sorry for all the postings, however I just found out that American Airlines is making me take my trip by October 17th regardless of the condition of Secrets. Is this enough time for the resort to be cleaned up? I have heard so many good things about the resort and I really do not want to go to another island, but at the same time I do not want to go to a resort that is not in good condition. Any status of Secrets and the roads leading to secrets would be greatly appreciated.

According to Dolores' post at www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34746 Secrets Excellence is closed indefinately. In my books that's later than October 17th.

Suggest you explore options.

Gregg

anggallie

Sep 16, 2004
I found out the same news...we are scheduled to go on the 9th of October and tour operator (Sunquest) is making us go too regardless, or if we cancel we are out 100%. I hope the resort does have the sense to close down until 100% recovered so that we can make ulternate arrangements (hopefully something just as nice available as we are restricted to that date for holidays) We were really looking forward to Secrets too, but some things happen for a reason and it may be better for it to close than to have it only partially operating and us not getting the full effects of it. Will definetly visit some other time though...it sounds fabulous.

nsalt said:

nsalt

Sep 20, 2004
Secrets status

Hello all,
Two different people at Secrets have said that the resort will re-open on 10/1. I however am not taking the chance and am going to St. Thomas. Next year I will definetly book a trip to Secrets, only I will go before hurricane season. That's what I get for trying to save money.

anggallie

Sep 16, 2004
I was just referred to this on the Secrets website

Monday, September 20, 2004

Storm Update:

First and foremost, the safety and security of our guests was paramount during the storm. In short, everything possible has been done to ensure and retain guest?s goodwill during and after the storm. We provided our guests with shelter, security, food and beverage and did everything possible under the circumstances to keep them comfortable. We are thankful that no one sustained injuries and there were no medical emergencies during the storm.

Secrets Excellence Punta Cana will be reopening on Monday, September 27th. Due to the high expectations of our guests and in compliance with our Preferred Hotels & Resorts Standards of Excellence, we intend on reopening Secrets Excellence on this day. The resort sustained some damage and we are confident that it will return to its former splendor and our guests experience will, as usual, exceed expectations.

Another update will be posted on Wednesday, September 22nd, 2004

jimcansell

Sep 20, 2004
fact or fiction

Thanks for all of your inputs. New to this site, and it rocks! Sounds like its crazy over there right now, and I feel selfish being so worried about the condition of Secrets for my own pleasure. That being said, do you think the website statement holds water, or will it remain closed?