Occidental Grand Flamenco - Punta Cana

Lejean

Sep 19, 2004
Hi All,

This is my first visit to this Forum/website, and first of all I would like to encourage the people of the DR in their struggle with nature (Jeanne). Over here in Belgium Jeanne has been in the news for the last few days with terrible images from the DR.

It happens that we are leaving on the 25th destination Occidental Grand Flamenco in Punta Cana. Does anybody have some info about the resort ? Is it damaged ? Should we delay our trip ?

We would be thankfull for some information

Many thanks

Jan & Helga

Stewylouie

Sep 20, 2004
Hi, we just got back to New York this morning from Punta Cana. Our flight left after midnight last night from Punta Cana.
We stayed at the Occidental Grand Flamenco.
Things were very bad, our tour operator, Apple Vacations evacuated all their guests on Sat, regardless of when their return dates were.
Damage at the Flamenco is substantial. Although I would't characterize the damages as structural, it will take some time to repair eveything.
I don't even know where to start.
Roofs were damaged/blown off on many buildings.
In our building, the power went out Wednesday evening and was on and off through Sat. The water was out for signficiant time as well. Flooding in the rooms were severe. Rain poured in on the third floor and the sewers backed up in the first floor rooms. We were on the second floor of building 13 and were fairly dry, but we saw rooms on the building which looked like they had waterfalls in them. The flooding outside was severe, there was a foot of water in the walk paths. From the smell, it seems the septic systems fooded and there was sewage flowing around. Trees were blown over, the light posts were blown over, all the grass huts and sheds were destroyed. The pool is in terrible shape and it will take weeks for that to be drained and cleaned (particularily in light of the sewage problem).
We were told that supplies were running low (food/water/gas) and asked to conserve.
The Royal Club guests seemd to fair better as power and services wre reatored there before the rest of the resort.
Servicewise they hotel did a very good job under the circumstances.
All the restaruants were closed except for the main buffet and that suffered severe leaks and damage. They did a very good job at damage control afterwards. Afterwards they handed out candles, extra towels and brooms/mops and squeegees to guest to help control the damage.
At the airport during the evacutaion, we meet some guests that were evacauted from Secrets by military helicopter, apparently things were very bad up there. Theose guests wound up sleeping outside the airport Firday night (not in the airport).
We were also told that the horse ranch (next to Secrets?) flooded badly and over 30 horses drowned.
We were told several other hotels were shut down completely.
It seems like we were very lucky at the Flamenco, from the stories, other hotels faired far worse.
As to reports by management, we learned that although locals began evacuation Wednesday morning, we were not told of the storm until Wednesday evening and even then we told it was small and nothng to worry about. Later they told us it was worse than expected. We received no instruction on how to deal with the storm and were left to fend for ourselves.
As we left on Sat, the cleanup begain to progress, although cosmetically I think they'll get the resort looking fair quickly, it'll be some time till its fully functional. I would advise those who can delay the trips to do so.

Lejean

Sep 19, 2004
Thanks For reply

Stewylouie said:
Hi, we just got back to New York this morning from Punta Cana. Our flight left after midnight last night from Punta Cana.
We stayed at the Occidental Grand Flamenco.
Things were very bad, our tour operator, Apple Vacations evacuated all their guests on Sat, regardless of when their return dates were.
Damage at the Flamenco is substantial. Although I would't characterize the damages as structural, it will take some time to repair eveything.
I don't even know where to start.
Roofs were damaged/blown off on many buildings.
In our building, the power went out Wednesday evening and was on and off through Sat. The water was out for signficiant time as well. Flooding in the rooms were severe. Rain poured in on the third floor and the sewers backed up in the first floor rooms. We were on the second floor of building 13 and were fairly dry, but we saw rooms on the building which looked like they had waterfalls in them. The flooding outside was severe, there was a foot of water in the walk paths. From the smell, it seems the septic systems fooded and there was sewage flowing around. Trees were blown over, the light posts were blown over, all the grass huts and sheds were destroyed. The pool is in terrible shape and it will take weeks for that to be drained and cleaned (particularily in light of the sewage problem).
We were told that supplies were running low (food/water/gas) and asked to conserve.
The Royal Club guests seemd to fair better as power and services wre reatored there before the rest of the resort.
Servicewise they hotel did a very good job under the circumstances.
All the restaruants were closed except for the main buffet and that suffered severe leaks and damage. They did a very good job at damage control afterwards. Afterwards they handed out candles, extra towels and brooms/mops and squeegees to guest to help control the damage.
At the airport during the evacutaion, we meet some guests that were evacauted from Secrets by military helicopter, apparently things were very bad up there. Theose guests wound up sleeping outside the airport Firday night (not in the airport).
We were also told that the horse ranch (next to Secrets?) flooded badly and over 30 horses drowned.
We were told several other hotels were shut down completely.
It seems like we were very lucky at the Flamenco, from the stories, other hotels faired far worse.
As to reports by management, we learned that although locals began evacuation Wednesday morning, we were not told of the storm until Wednesday evening and even then we told it was small and nothng to worry about. Later they told us it was worse than expected. We received no instruction on how to deal with the storm and were left to fend for ourselves.
As we left on Sat, the cleanup begain to progress, although cosmetically I think they'll get the resort looking fair quickly, it'll be some time till its fully functional. I would advise those who can delay the trips to do so.

Thanks for your exellent report "Stewylouie". Our tour operator "Sunjets" is still trying to gather information and flights apparently still go out to Punta Cana.
If anybody has more info on the situation in Punta Cana ( if possible the Occidental Grand Flamenco ) please do advice

a million thanks,

Jan

smurfin

Sep 20, 2004
Occidental Grand Flamenco

We're going there the 6th october, also with Sunjets. Hope everything will be ok by then...

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
As this is the resort I prefer to stay at when I'm on holidays in Punta Cana. My last trip to this resort was November 2004.

This resort this time last year were in the process of doing some major renovations to the beach buffet and main lobby buffet, (which were closed) and around the resort. The renovations was completed by 2004. My brother and his wife were there last year as well and went back to P.C. in February & said that the renovations were very nice, especially to the main buffet.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Reports from people who also have been there confirms the hotel did not suffer structural damage that would affect the stay of the guests. The roofs lost some of their exterior decorative tiles, but things are rapidly coming back to normal. By 6 October all should be back to normal. Please report back your experience.

Lejean

Sep 19, 2004
Leaving for Punta Cana on 25/9

Dolores said:
Reports from people who also have been there confirms the hotel did not suffer structural damage that would affect the stay of the guests. The roofs lost some of their exterior decorative tiles, but things are rapidly coming back to normal. By 6 October all should be back to normal. Please report back your experience.

Thanks for the encouraging message, Dolores. Although we didn't hear any news from our touroperator, the messages on this forum seem to have a positive vibe on the situation in Punta Cana ( Occidental Grand Flamenco ). Right now I would say there's a 75% chance we'll take the flight.

I'm pretty sure the tour operator will give their advice the latest on wednesday, and I hope it will be objective. But with the information gathered on this Forum I think I have a pretty good idea on the situation.

Many thanks to DR1

If u have any more info on the situation, please keep us posted. We'll post a situation report as soon as we get there.

smurfin

Sep 20, 2004
Relieved

Dolores said:

Thanx for the information... I just discovered the list with the damaged hotels, hadn't seen it yet. It seems indeed that the Occidental Grand Flamenco has only suffered some minor damages. I feel relieved.

I'll sure let you know how it was. Will be my first time in DR :glasses:

Lejean

Sep 19, 2004
Good choice

smurfin said:
Thanx for the information... I just discovered the list with the damaged hotels, hadn't seen it yet. It seems indeed that the Occidental Grand Flamenco has only suffered some minor damages. I feel relieved.

I'll sure let you know how it was. Will be my first time in DR :glasses:

Dear Smurfin,

I can tell u that the Occidental Grand Flamenco is a good choice. We've been there last year and thought we were walking through a postcard. Also the service, staff, service, swimming pools, rooms were great. My girlfriend, who has been all over the world, said it was the best resort ever ... For me, who has been nowhere ( uhm, spain and Greece ), it was paradise.

Too bad we are leaving the 6th of october , otherwise we could have a drink together at the poolbar ;)

Bye,

jan

scottrennie

Sep 19, 2004
See you there

We're heading to the same hotel, very concerned as to the condition? Have you heard from any others at all??
Lejean said:
Hi All,

This is my first visit to this Forum/website, and first of all I would like to encourage the people of the DR in their struggle with nature (Jeanne). Over here in Belgium Jeanne has been in the news for the last few days with terrible images from the DR.

It happens that we are leaving on the 25th destination Occidental Grand Flamenco in Punta Cana. Does anybody have some info about the resort ? Is it damaged ? Should we delay our trip ?

We would be thankfull for some information

Many thanks

Jan & Helga

Stewylouie

Sep 20, 2004
The roof tiles are only decorative until it rains.
In the buildings where the tiles got stripped, the rain came through the roof like a sive.
Addtionally, water penetrated the walls and were gushing out of light fixtures and utility sockets.
I agree that cosmetically the resort can be spruced up quickly, but a quick coat of paint is not my idea of a repair.

smurfin

Sep 20, 2004
Lejean,

I saw the other topic you opened concerning the Occidental Grand Flamenco, but it seems that topic is already closed.

Do you already know which hotel you are going to instead of the Occidental? And is it only your hotel that changed, or do you have to catch another flight?

I called Sunjets a few days ago and for us they couldn't say yet if we could go to the Occidental or to another hotel.

I was relieved after reading the comments here but now I hear bad news again...

Seems we'll just have to wait and see...

mervit

Sep 22, 2004
hi, Thursday Sept.23.

We are from Toronto, and our Tour Operator said that they sent a rep down and that our Occidental is running at par. We are leaving on Sat the 25th.
The weather looks beautiful and there are no immediate threats of more violent weather.
Where are you coming in from?
smurfin said:
Lejean,

I saw the other topic you opened concerning the Occidental Grand Flamenco, but it seems that topic is already closed.

Do you already know which hotel you are going to instead of the Occidental? And is it only your hotel that changed, or do you have to catch another flight?

I called Sunjets a few days ago and for us they couldn't say yet if we could go to the Occidental or to another hotel.

I was relieved after reading the comments here but now I hear bad news again...

Seems we'll just have to wait and see...

Lejean

Sep 19, 2004
Leaving for the Occidental Grand Flamenco on the 25th

Hi,

Today, our travelagent sunjets, has comfirmed that the Occidenta Grand Flamenco is ready to receive guests. I'm still in a puzzle on the condition of the resort ... but I guess we'll are going to see for ourselves :nervous: .

Mervit, we're leaving from Brussels on the 25th, so I'll guess we will meet there ! Great, we can feel happy or misserable together !! ;)

Smurfin, I'll keep u posted on the condition of the resort once we're there. But I think that, when u get there, everything will be OK

ciao !

Jan

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Occidental Flamenco Punta Cana spokesperson said that only the Mexican Restaurant was not in operation, and would be by 8 October.

We look forward to hearing your report. The staffs at the hotel have been the heroes working long hard hours to get things back to normal. If they have accomplished the feat, it will all be to their credit.

Lejean

Sep 19, 2004

Hi Dolores,

Be sure, we won't behave as spoiled tourists. The people over there will be not a subject to our complaints.

Our Tour operator has taken the responsibility to send us there, dispite our doubts and arguments. They will hear from us if things are not ok at all ( primal things like food, water, bed and sickness )

ciya,

Jan

manumoskal

Sep 22, 2004
Hi Jan,
Hi Mervin,

We're heading to the Occ. Gr. Flamenco on October 2nd and staying there for 11 days.
How long you folks are gonna be there ?

I hope everything is gonna be OK, 'cause I heard a lot of worrying stuff about this resort. But We're leaving with a positive mind and we'll see on the spot.

If you wanna contact me here are my coordinates:

mailto:Manu.Moskal@jorssen.net.bmw.be
00 32 (0)473 79 44 86 (portable)

Regards

Manu

smurfin

Sep 20, 2004
Lejean said:
Hi Dolores,

Be sure, we won't behave as spoiled tourists. The people over there will be not a subject to our complaints.

Neither will we :) The weather here in Belgium really sucks (rain, wind, cold... as usual) so we will already be very happy when we can see the sun and we can be on the beach. A broken palmtree won't bother me ;)

I was a little bit worried when I saw the first comments here, from people who were there last week and had been evacuated, but in fact I trust the hotel staff and the tour operator. When they say that we can come, I'm sure it will be ok...

Btw, I have the impression we'll meet a lot of other Belgians there...

Enjoy your holiday :glasses: