Las Terrenas, Samana - conditions

Gazza

Sep 20, 2004
Can anyone let me know how Las Terrenas is after the battering from Jeanne?
I am due to go to Playa Las Ballenas Residencia but can find no information on the conditions specific to the area.
Also as I am due to fly on the 1st October, how long it may take to get back to some kind of normality.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Good Luck to all in the hurricane ravaged areas.

gary

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Report we have from Portillo in Las Terrenas is that damages were primarily to landscaping. From what I recall Las Ballenas is concrete, so for them it should be primarily a clean up operation.

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Gazza said:
I am due to go to Playa Las Ballenas Residencia but can find no information on the conditions specific to the area.
Also as I am due to fly on the 1st October, how long it may take to get back to some kind of normality.

gary

I just spoke with a person living in Punta Bonita, minimal damages to hotels in the area, all hotels are close at the moment. The main problem is NO electricity and regular phone lines are out, cell phone are getting charge by friends who are lucky to have a generator, but the fuel is getting low and no chance to fill up for the next couple of days. Otherwise, no loss of life in Las Terrenas, Punta Bonita, Playa Coson or El Portillo.

Keep calling your hotel for a update on their condition in about a week.

WebDev

christa

Sep 22, 2004
condition

Gazza said:

gary

Hello,

Yesterday I spoke to the owner of the appartement I will be staying at from the 1th of oct. (Punta d'Oro in Las Terrenas) And I spoke to my friend Jolanda who also has appartements overthere. They gave me reasonable good information for the situation at the moment. I'll give them in short;
Roof of Nuevo Mundo diskoteque badly damaged but under construction an been open for 2 days already.
Al lot of damage to seashore restaurants but under construction and presumed to be opened beginning next week or a couple of days later
Roads are cleaned and the village is good to be reached.
Fata Morgana, roof of kitchen building vanished. Is rebuilding. Not sure when to open again.
Red Sunset Cabans, no damage to appartements, pool, restaurant / bar. Only one of the palms broke down. Fully operational.
Punta d'Oro; no damage to appartements, restaurant, pool. Only palms broke down and bushes fell. Garden in order allready, fully operational.

Orange telephone network working since two days.
Regular telelphone network getting better everyday but is operational.
Electricity getting better by the hour. Partly full operational.

I saw pictures from just after the hurrican had passed and today I saw pictures of how it is today. It's just like John told me. If you haven't been here before as a tourist it's possible you don't even see that Jeanne has passed. People of Las Terrenas are doing a great job. They are working very hard to get everything back to normal in a minimal amount of time and it looks like they will sucseed.

By the way, english is not my native tongue. I'm dutch, so sorry if the spelling is incorrect.

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
badpiece33 said:
I was planning on one or two days this weekend upcoming to goto Samana or las terrenas, which place was less hard hit and which place has a better night life? I would also like some info on a low to moerately priced hotel.
Badpiece

Better night life is in Las Terrenas, compared to Santa Barbara de Samana, and a moderate price hotel is "Residencia del Paseo" located in the center of town, behind Paseo Mall, 1 minute walk to restaurants and the beach, in the middle of all the action but you will be surprise how quiet is the place. Do a search on Google for Residencia del Paseo.
have a good time.
WebDev