interac

carolina_22

May 31, 2004
Hello all,

I have a little question... My friends and I are going to POP next week end and I want to know if we can use our debit/interac card, if we can get some money out from a bank there. Thx in advance.
Carolina

Sharon

Jul 27, 2004
carolina_22 said:
Hello all,

I have a little question... My friends and I are going to POP next week end and I want to know if we can use our debit/interac card, if we can get some money out from a bank there. Thx in advance.
Carolina

Yes Carolina u could use your debit card at most bank machines...

Have a great time... I will be down again in October...

carolina_22

May 31, 2004
Sharon said:
Yes Carolina u could use your debit card at most bank machines...

Have a great time... I will be down again in October...

Thx Sharon! Have a wonderful time yourself!

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
carolina_22 said:
Hello all,

Carolina

Yes you can use your debit/interac card, but understand that the banks are as corrupt as most everything in the DR. Better to use Travelers Checks, do a search on ATM's and you'll see what I mean.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi Carolina,

carolina_22 said:
Hello all,

Carolina

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

Yes you can use your Debit Card in a Bank Machine and you will pay assorted exchange and access fees but don't expect to use youe Debit Card in any Point Of Sale transactions as you do in your home country.

It will function as a bank card but NOT a Debit Card.

Gregg

carolina_22

May 31, 2004
Thx all for the info! My friend just told me that it depends of the bank I'm dealing with... Also, will my bank be able to tell me what will be the fees or I will only see that once I'm there and using my card?

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com
If you are coming from Canada and want to use your Canadian debit card to withdraw money then you will have a problem. A few months ago there was some problem between the Canadian Banks and the ones in the D.R. and there is no longer an agreement between the two countries and as a result all my friends and family that visited have not been able to withdraw any money from bank machines?Funny thing, not even at the Scotiabank machines that you would think should present no problems.

If you are not from Canada then there should be no problem at all but if you are then bring cash or travelers checks or wait in the lineups at the banks here to withdraw any money.

carolina_22

May 31, 2004
ok..so how come everybody is telling me that I can use it then? Im from Canada and using a Canadian bank card... this is so confusing!

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
Toronto2inDR said:
If you are coming from Canada and want to use your Canadian debit card to withdraw money then you will have a problem. A few months ago there was some problem between the Canadian Banks and the ones in the D.R. and there is no longer an agreement between the two countries and as a result all my friends and family that visited have not been able to withdraw any money from bank machines?Funny thing, not even at the Scotiabank machines that you would think should present no problems.

If you are not from Canada then there should be no problem at all but if you are then bring cash or travelers checks or wait in the lineups at the banks here to withdraw any money.

I work for Scotiabank in Canada, and travel to the DR a few times through out the year, just recently in July, and I accessed my funds through both Banco Popular, as well as the Scotiabank in Puerto Plata.

With Scotiabank we have a global alliance with other banks in the World that will waive the charge to access your money through other countries...those countries are through

Bank of Nova Scotia in the Caribbean, Central America and Mexico,
Bank Of America in the US
BNP Paribas in France
Barclays in the United Kingdom and Africa,
Deutsche Bank in Germany Poland, and Spain, and
Westpac in Australia and New Zeland.

So if you are a Scotiabank customer you can use your debit card (ensuring it has an interac or plus symbol on the machine), and if you use one of those machines mentioned above... the service charge you would normally be billed to take money out of your account will be waived. (At Scotiabank this charge is $5) So this applies to the Scotiabank in the DR. I also checked with our international banking department, and they said that they are not aware of any breakdowns with Canadian banks, that this did not include Scotiabank, if it did exist, b/c we are an international bank especailly in the Carribbean, and our customers can always access their funds, or else can call our toll free # for questions that is available 24 hours.

Now when you take money out of your account, expect for the bank to hold double the amount for the foregin exchange difference to kick in which will take about 24-48 hours. So if you have $500 in your account and you take $200 the bank will hold an extra $200 for the excahnge, once that posts the remaining is released, and you'll have access, but if you try to take out another $100 the same day, you will get a message saying you can't. (This is result of the hold) but if you try in a day or so, you'll have no problema. Now not sure if this is with all banks, I know for sure it is with Scotiabank b/c I get many calls relating to thisl
lisa

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Carolina best thing is to call TD Canada Trust and ask them. I think it all depends on what kind of account you have. The only thing they can't tell you is what the exchange will be at the time you use the ATM.

Personally I would buy US traveler's cheques. We've had a horror stories about people using ATM machines and money missing from accounts they didn't withdraw.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Skip It.

carolina_22 said:
thx again! Im dealing with TD Canada Trust though! Wondering if its possible...

Just bring cash or a few travelers cheques. The $5 fee will equate to a ridiculous rate as a % of what you will probably take out at once and at times the lineups and availibilty of ATM's are crazy.

I have been going to the DR since 1998 and have yet to use an ATM. You can change a TC or better US$ cash (don't take CDN cash) at cambios in a few seconds. They won't charge a fee to cash the TC either.

If you are at an AI resort you don't need a whole lot anyway.

Also do not be tempted to buy pesos at the airport ( in Canada) exchange booth. The rates are appalling, truly horrible and they add fees to add insult to injury.

carolina_22

May 31, 2004
Well finally I think I should bring cash instead, I dont want to have any problems when I get back. Ill exchange CAD money to pesos here or directly in DR (not at the airport..I did it once and never again!)... Thx again and see you soon!