Iberostar Punta Cana

Pete71

Sep 20, 2004
I have a trip planned at the Iberostar Punta Cana starting 9-29 and was wondering if anyone had any information regarding damage to the resort. I called my travel agent to see if he had heard anything and he says nothing has been brought to his attention. I'm really hoping that everything will be ok by the time I get there.

CindyP71

Sep 20, 2004
Punta Cana - 9/29/04 - 10/3/04

Pete, my husband and I are also heading up to Punta Cana on 9/29/04 and are concerned about the damage done by the hurricane. I was told that there's a chance that Apple Vacations will send us elsewhere, but I'm not sure under what conditions. On the news this morning, I heard there were a about 12 deaths that occured due to the last hurricane. If I find out anything, I'll let you know.

~Cindy

trevor928

Sep 20, 2004
My girlfriend and I are due to fly out this Thursday, 23rd, but we are struggling to get any information with regards to the Iberostar.
Firstchoice, our travel agent are not giving much away and seem to think we are still going.

Any information on the current and future state of the resort would be greatly received.

CindyP71

Sep 20, 2004
Iberostar Dominicana

I just called the Iberostar Dominicana (888-923-2722) and the lady who answered the phone claims that the resort was not damaged at all, therefore if we are scheduled to go on vacation there, we should expect to come. I mentioned that I heard they (DR) got hit pretty bad and she claimed "not them". I'm not sure if it's a company policy to say that or if she's telling the truth. Since they are on the tip of the DR, I find it hard to beleive they didn't have any damage.

~Cindy

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
CindyP71 said:
I just called the Iberostar Dominicana (888-923-2722) and the lady who answered the phone claims that the resort was not damaged at all, therefore if we are scheduled to go on vacation there, we should expect to come. I mentioned that I heard they (DR) got hit pretty bad and she claimed "not them". I'm not sure if it's a company policy to say that or if she's telling the truth. Since they are on the tip of the DR, I find it hard to beleive they didn't have any damage.

~Cindy

This is very possible with hurricanes. Remember the hurricanes bring strong wind gusts, which explains why some hotels get hit more than others. Also remember that some hotel construction is more sturdy than others. Keep in touch with this board for more information as the details become available.

Pete71

Sep 20, 2004
CindyP71 said:

~Cindy
Hi Cindy,

Thanks for the information. My travel agent is suggesting that I postpone my trip for a few weeks. The problem is my wife is going to have a problem switching her vacation time. So I don't know what I'm doing yet. I just hope that if we do go on the 29th. that the resort will be stocked with supplies and fresh food. It seems that there are a lot of flooded roads and bridges.
Well, good luck. I hope we can all have a decent vacation where and when ever that may be.

Pete

SafireDream

Jul 5, 2004
I just spoke to my travel agent who just got an update from her contact in Punta Cana. According to her, the Iberostar hotels did not sustain any damages. I was there a few months ago and they were built a bit different from the other hotels. She did say that our agency is allowing customers who were booked up to Sept 30th to reschedule as a courtesy. I am going Oct 5 so I do not think that there will be a problem.

If you hear anything different, please post it. Thanks and have a nice trip.

Pete71

Sep 20, 2004
SafireDream said:
I just spoke to my travel agent who just got an update from her contact in Punta Cana. According to her, the Iberostar hotels did not sustain any damages. I was there a few months ago and they were built a bit different from the other hotels. She did say that our agency is allowing customers who were booked up to Sept 30th to reschedule as a courtesy. I am going Oct 5 so I do not think that there will be a problem.

If you hear anything different, please post it. Thanks and have a nice trip.

Thanks for the information. I will let you know if I hear anything else. It sounds like we are going as crazy as that may sound. From what I'm told I may not have a choice if both the airport and resort are open for business.

trevor928

Sep 20, 2004
Flying to Punta Cana Tomorrow

Pete71 said:
Thanks for the information. I will let you know if I hear anything else. It sounds like we are going as crazy as that may sound. From what I'm told I may not have a choice if both the airport and resort are open for business.

My girlfriend and I are due to arrive in Punta Cana tomorrow to stay at the Iberostar Dominicana. We are travelling from the UK with First Choice and tomorrow is the first day they are flying people in after the weekend, they cancelled all hoildays up to 22nd (Today). First Choice have confirmed today that we are scheduled to go tomorrow and all is up and running.

It is rather humbling given what has happend on the island that we are going there for 2 weeks holiday but obviously the tourism needs to get back to normal ASAP to assist the recovery.

Trevor, London UK

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
trevor928 said:
My girlfriend and I are due to arrive in Punta Cana tomorrow to stay at the Iberostar Dominicana. We are travelling from the UK with First Choice and tomorrow is the first day they are flying people in after the weekend, they cancelled all hoildays up to 22nd (Today). First Choice have confirmed today that we are scheduled to go tomorrow and all is up and running.

It is rather humbling given what has happend on the island that we are going there for 2 weeks holiday but obviously the tourism needs to get back to normal ASAP to assist the recovery.

Trevor, London UK

Let us know how your vacation goes.

dewy89

Sep 20, 2004
Iberostar Dominicana

Dolores said:
Let us know how your vacation goes.

Hi Trevor,

My boyfriend and I will be arriving there on Sept 26th. I wish you guys good luck, if you're as nervous as I am this trip is far from exciting right now. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. :nervous:

trevor928

Sep 20, 2004
dewy89 said:
Hi Trevor,

My boyfriend and I will be arriving there on Sept 26th. I wish you guys good luck, if you're as nervous as I am this trip is far from exciting right now. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. :nervous:

Yes we have our fingers crossed too.This forum has been a godsend, if anyone is out there when we are say hello, I am 6ft 6in with a shaved head so easy to spot !

Trevor

wilko

Sep 22, 2004
Iberostar

Pete71 said:
I have a trip planned at the Iberostar Punta Cana starting 9-29 and was wondering if anyone had any information regarding damage to the resort. I called my travel agent to see if he had heard anything and he says nothing has been brought to his attention. I'm really hoping that everything will be ok by the time I get there.

Hi Pete

I have just returned from Iberostar Dominicana(same complex) and although there was light damage we were evacuated. 5 out of the 6 restaurants were open, the pools were closed. However they were on with the big clean up and the sun was shining when we left.

Time to ask your tour operator some straight questions

regards

CindyP71

Sep 20, 2004
Travel Agent replied to my e-mail

According to Apple Vacations...
Their charter is going out on the 29th. Efforts are happening now for cleaning up the roads and such. They had no reports of any major damage at the hotels. If they get any further reports that things are up to thier standards, they will address it then.

They have canceled other flights there prior to that date, but the charter is going on 9/29. The only reports they have from Iberostar are from the Bavaro and they indicate sand in the pool, branches down, very little leaks, main buffet area to be open. They are cleaning up all issues. So, we should be okay. Again, if anything happens or doesn't proceed as scheduled with the clean-up, they will address it at that time.

So, I guess our trip is still scheduled as planned.

Pete, if you can let us know what your agent has to say, I'd feel much better.

~Cindy

Pete71

Sep 20, 2004
CindyP71 said:
According to Apple Vacations...
Their charter is going out on the 29th. Efforts are happening now for cleaning up the roads and such. They had no reports of any major damage at the hotels. If they get any further reports that things are up to thier standards, they will address it then.

They have canceled other flights there prior to that date, but the charter is going on 9/29. The only reports they have from Iberostar are from the Bavaro and they indicate sand in the pool, branches down, very little leaks, main buffet area to be open. They are cleaning up all issues. So, we should be okay. Again, if anything happens or doesn't proceed as scheduled with the clean-up, they will address it at that time.

So, I guess our trip is still scheduled as planned.

Pete, if you can let us know what your agent has to say, I'd feel much better.

~Cindy

Hi Cindy,

Everything seems to be on according to my travel agent. My flight is on as scheduled and the resort is saying everything is fine.... I'll be the judge of that when I get there. I leave on 9-29 so I guess I'll see you there.
I originally thought I was booked in the Punta Cana, but I found out yesterday we are staying at the Bavaro... not that it makes much difference I guess. Well I hope we all have a good time and have some nice weather. I need a vacation from all this vacation/hurricane talk... lol
If you hear anything else let us know.

Thanks, Pete

CindyP71

Sep 20, 2004
Pete71 said:
Hi Cindy,

Everything seems to be on according to my travel agent. My flight is on as scheduled and the resort is saying everything is fine.... I'll be the judge of that when I get there. I leave on 9-29 so I guess I'll see you there.
I originally thought I was booked in the Punta Cana, but I found out yesterday we are staying at the Bavaro... not that it makes much difference I guess. Well I hope we all have a good time and have some nice weather. I need a vacation from all this vacation/hurricane talk... lol
If you hear anything else let us know.

Thanks, Pete

Update 9/28/04
Apple Vacation did indeed cancel our trip due to Iberostar Dominicana not beign "up to their standards". As of right now, those who are scheduled to leave on Oct. 6th are still on.

Good luck!