Iberostar Dominicana hotel - Claims no damage

CindyP71

Sep 20, 2004
Can anyone verify whether or not the Iberostar Dominicana hotel had any damage? I just called and the lady I spoke to claims there was absolutly no damage done to their resort. I feel it is highly impossible for a hurricane to have caused death (according to CNN this morning) and much damage to an island and somehow skip the one resort we plan on visiting next week. I would assume most of the resorts are next to eachother. If this is true, how can others get so damaged and not the Iberostar Dominicana?

I guess there are three different resorts using the name Iberostar as well.

I don't want to call our Apple Vacations contact because I feel she'll just give us the same answer "everything is okay".

We plan on leaving Chicago on 9/29/04 and returning on 10/3/04.

~Cindy

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
The Dominican Republic is (very aproximately) 400 miles east to west & 200 miles north/south. YES, it is quite possible for hotels in differing parts of the country to miss 90/95 % of the damage caused in other extremities of the country.

WHERE is Iberostar Dominicana please? I know of the Iberostar Costa Dorada here in Puerto Plata & that I would suspect will be pretty clear of any damage (fallen trees/branches etc) but if you are talking Punta Cana, Bavaro areas, it may well be a much different story!! - Grahame.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Grahame,

Iberostar Punta Cana, Bavaro and Dominicana are all in Punta Cana Beside the Riu complex.

FWIW the Riu complex in Punta Cana also claims minimal damage.

Gregg

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
FireGuy said:
Iberostar Punta Cana, Bavaro and Dominicana are all in Punta Cana Beside the Riu complex.

FWIW the Riu complex in Punta Cana also claims minimal damage.

Gregg

Thanks Gregg - you see what an ignorant northern DR slob I am??? Don't know nothin' me!!!!

I think the main problem they have down there at the moment relates to getting supplies in isn't it? With the bridges down, supply vehicles couldn't get in for a few days, but i gather a couple of "Bailey" bridges have now been erected & supplies have started to roll in again. If so, there should be no problem with the resort!!

Good luck Cindy. Get out of the complex if you can & go meet some REAL Dominicans if you get the chance - WONDERFUL, FRIENDLY people who would love to have some crayons & colouring books for their children!! - Grahame.

CindyP71

Sep 20, 2004
BushBaby said:
Thanks Gregg - you see what an ignorant northern DR slob I am??? Don't know nothin' me!!!!

I think the main problem they have down there at the moment relates to getting supplies in isn't it? With the bridges down, supply vehicles couldn't get in for a few days, but i gather a couple of "Bailey" bridges have now been erected & supplies have started to roll in again. If so, there should be no problem with the resort!!

Good luck Cindy. Get out of the complex if you can & go meet some REAL Dominicans if you get the chance - WONDERFUL, FRIENDLY people who would love to have some crayons & colouring books for their children!! - Grahame.

Thanks Grahame,
Unfortunately, I'm 6 months pregnant so I'm not sure I should venture off the resort this time around (I've been prone to getting sick pretty easily from places outside of the US - even if I avoid drinking the water). I'll bring a few coloring books and crayons just in case I do meet some locals tho. I do believe the only way to really get to know an island is to talk to people outside the resort, but I would hate to get sick, so we'll see what happens.

I've left my travel company (Apple Vacations) an e-mail asking her what our options are, so we'll see what she has to say. Good thing is that Hurricane Karl and Tropical Storm Lisa looks as tho they will be avoiding the DR.

Let's just keep our fingers crossed that the resorts will be up and running with some sun shining down on us.

Thanks!

~Cindy

P.S. I'll let all of you know what Apple Vacations plans are.

wilko

Sep 22, 2004
Iberostar Dominica

Hi Cindy

We have just returned from this hotel (Dominica) or should i say evacuated.
Yes there was minimal damage to the resort but this closed 5 out of the 6 restaurants, leaving only the buffet open. The were trying to clear the pools as we left. The problem they were having was to get staff into the hotel. I trust this will now have happened. I have taken a few pictures, if you would like to send me your E-mail address i will send you them. My address is chris@wilkinson987.fsnet.co.uk. I returned this week on Monday 20th.

regards

CindyP71

Sep 20, 2004
Update from Apple Vacations...

According to Apple Vacations...
Their charter is going out on the 29th. Efforts are happening now for cleaning up the roads and such. They had no reports of any major damage at the hotels. If they get any further reports that things are up to thier standards, they will address it then.

They have canceled other flights there prior to that date, but the charter is going on 9/29. The only reports they have from Iberostar are from the Bavaro and they indicate sand in the pool, branches down, very little leaks, main buffet area to be open. They are cleaning up all issues. So, we should be okay. Again, if anything happens or doesn't proceed as scheduled with the clean-up, they will address it at that time.

So, I guess our trip is still as scheduled as planned.