Punta Cana Area Assessment

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Major cleanup efforts are underway in Punta Cana to return the area to normalcy. The Association of Hotels of the East and the Ministry of Tourism report the status of the hotels is as follows:

Hotels in operation that suffered minor damages or damages to landscape and clean up and repairs occurred immediately so the hotel never had to close:
Sunscape Punta Cana
Melia Caribe Tropical
Bahia Principe Punta Cana
Punta Cana Princess
LTI Punta Cana
Iberostar Bavaro, Dominicana, Punta Cana
Grand Paradise (Amhsa)
Occidental Flamenco Punta Cana
Barcelo Palace Bavaro
Catalonia Bavaro
Riu complex (hotel complex not affected, but affected by flooding of roads in the area, some difficulty in access this week).
Ocean Bavaro
Carabela Beach Resort
LTI Punta Cana

Hotels that will reopen this week:
Palladium hotels (previously Fiesta chain)

Hotels that closed for two-week repairs:
Punta Cana Paradisus (some flooding at the first floor level and landscaping affected)
Punta Cana Breezes

Hotels that will close for 30 days or more:
Punta Cana Resort & Club (1 November reopening)
Club Med (1 November reopening)
Princess hotels reported 90% in operation, with some areas needing 30 days to complete repairs.

Hotels closed with no set opening date
Secrets Excellence
Sirenis at Uvero Alto
Natura Park (targetted reopening 1 November)

Last edited:

gmoyer17

Aug 25, 2004
Thank you sooooo much

Thank you for all your hard work. I'm sure this will put a lot of minds at ease and give those who need to a chance to change resorts. Thanks again. ;)

Ohioguy

Aug 9, 2004
According to the info posted on the Secrets Punta Cana thread on this board, Secrets Excellence has announced on their website that they will reopen on Sept. 27.

I've also seen the damage pictures from Secrets, and although it appears the pools will take a while to clean up, there does not appear to be significant structural damage to the buildings. If they get the right manpower in there, they could repair the roofs and clean out the pools in a few weeks.

But there is conflicting information on other websites (tripadvisor.com messageboard) where people who were at Secrets Punta Cana claim the damage was tremendous and could take months to repair.

For now, I'll go with what I've seen from the pictures and what I've heard from the Secrets website.

Last edited:

scottrennie

Sep 19, 2004
Grand Fleminco Punta Cana

Looking for more updates as to the condition of the hotel. Can someone help me out

anggallie

Sep 16, 2004
I'm right along with you Ohioguy....just hope it's done by Oct 9th!!!!

Ohioguy said:
According to the info posted on the Secrets Punta Cana thread on this board, Secrets Excellence has announced on their website that they will reopen on Sept. 27.

I've also seen the damage pictures from Secrets, and although it appears the pools will take a while to clean up, there does not appear to be significant structural damage to the buildings. If they get the right manpower in there, they could repair the roofs and clean out the pools in a few weeks.

But there is conflicting information on other websites (tripadvisor.com messageboard) where people who were at Secrets Punta Cana claim the damage was tremendous and could take months to repair.

For now, I'll go with what I've seen from the pictures and what I've heard from the Secrets website.

tanjamaria

Sep 22, 2004
photos from damage on Secrets Excellence and Sunscape Punta Cana

hi can you please tell me the website adress of the Secrets Punta Cana? and where can I find photos of the damage on the hotel??
thanx in advance - it's urgent!!

Ohioguy said:

anggallie

Sep 16, 2004
www.secretresorts.com and you can find the pictures on the secrets excellence forum. Hope this helps.

tanjamaria said:
hi can you please tell me the website adress of the Secrets Punta Cana? and where can I find photos of the damage on the hotel??
thanx in advance - it's urgent!!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Dolores said:
Major cleanup efforts are underway in Punta Cana to return the area to normalcy. The Association of Hotels of the East and the Ministry of Tourism report the status of the hotels is as follows:

Hotels in operation that suffered minor damages or damages to landscape and clean up and repairs occurred immediately so the hotel never had to close:
Sunscape Punta Cana
Melia Caribe Tropical
Bahia Principe Punta Cana
Punta Cana Princess
LTI Punta Cana
Iberostar Bavaro, Dominicana, Punta Cana
Grand Paradise (Amhsa)
Occidental Flamenco Punta Cana
Barcelo Palace Bavaro
Catalonia Bavaro
Riu complex (hotel complex not affected, but affected by flooding of roads in the area, some difficulty in access this week).
Ocean Bavaro
Carabela Beach Resort
LTI Punta Cana

Hotels that will reopen this week:
Palladium hotels (previously Fiesta chain)

Hotels that closed for two-week repairs:
Punta Cana Paradisus (some flooding at the first floor level and landscaping affected)
Punta Cana Breezes

Hotels that will close for 30 days or more:
Punta Cana Resort & Club (1 November reopening)
Club Med (1 November reopening)
Princess hotels reported 90% in operation, with some areas needing 30 days to complete repairs.

Hotels closed with no set opening date
Secrets Excellence
Sirenis at Uvero Alto
Natura Park (targetted reopening 1 November)

The assessment by Dolores is right on. This was confirmed this Thursday am by Ernesto Veloz, President of the Asociacion de Hoteles y Proyectos Turisticas of the Punta Cana to Ulvero Alto area.

My own assessment of damage control by the Bavaro Beach Resorts-Hotels is they are making great headway in getting things back in shape. I walked the beach and there are guests enjoying the pleasures of the sands and waters.

Regards,
PJT