Reid Cabral

deepaul

Feb 19, 2004
Hi,

I recently had my honeymoon in the DR and loved it. What a beautiful island you have, and such lovely people.

I am a freelance writer, so, before I came I asked, on this site, if there were any Scottish connections I might follow up on, with a view to writing about them. Someone mentioned the Reid Cabrals, one of the DRs leading families had Scottish descent.

I would love to speak to them about their heritage and, perhaps, do an article for The Scots Magazine (which sells internationally) but I don't have any contact details.

Could someone point me in the right direction or pass this e mail on to them.

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you.

David McLaughlan

deepaul

Feb 19, 2004
Lithgow

Lambada said:
Would the Lithgow family also have Scottish connections?

Absolutely. There actually a town called Linlithgow. Not sure what the Lin means but I'm sure there will be a connection.

David

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
deepaul said:
Hi,

I recently had my honeymoon in the DR and loved it. What a beautiful island you have, and such lovely people.

I am a freelance writer, so, before I came I asked, on this site, if there were any Scottish connections I might follow up on, with a view to writing about them. Someone mentioned the Reid Cabrals, one of the DRs leading families had Scottish descent.

I would love to speak to them about their heritage and, perhaps, do an article for The Scots Magazine (which sells internationally) but I don't have any contact details.

Could someone point me in the right direction or pass this e mail on to them.

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you.

David McLaughlan

Try contacting Donald Reid Cabral at Reid & Compa?ia in Santo Domingo.
Tel. (809) 562-721

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Don't leave out my friend Geo Ripley, the artist and freemason, he's as pretentious, stuffy, and insufferable as the best Scotsman. (you can all him at 809-5336759)

Mirador

deepaul

Feb 19, 2004
Lithgow

Lambada said:
Would the Lithgow family also have Scottish connections?

Coincidentally, I just read a book from 1964, recalling the good work done by Sir William Lithgow, a Glasgow ship builder.

Hope this helps.

David

Apr 26, 2002
There was a thread here not too long ago about the DR connections of actor John Lithgow. His father, Arthur Litgow, was born in Puerto Plata. Apparently, the Lithgow surname is still present in the Santiago area.

Also, I understand that the only train that ever existed in the country - connecting La Vega to Sanchez - was built by Scots, though I don't know if that family has any legacy in the DR.

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
deepaul said:
Coincidentally, I just read a book from 1964, recalling the good work done by Sir William Lithgow, a Glasgow ship builder.

Hope this helps.

David

The first house which we bought here, 10 years ago in Puerto Plata, was originally owned by Federico Lithgow. We didn't buy from him, it went through another purchaser before we bought from her.......but the contract for electricity is still in the name of Federico Lithgow & that dates from 1959. The person we purchased from bought the house from a Jose Tomas Lithgow Martinez. He was the well known (in Puerto Plata) "Mr. Joe" who died a few years back.
If any of this helps your research, David, we do have documentation which follows the history of the buying & selling of this house.