Bavaro Princess

texasgirl

Sep 22, 2004
Does anyone have any information on the Bavaro Princess Hotel? My fiance and I are to honeymoon there on Oct. 4th and we can't get any information on if we will still be able to stay there. If anybody can give me information on this hotel or give me a phone number or email address to get in contact with this hotel we would really appreciate this. Thank you!!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
texasgirl said:
Does anyone have any information on the Bavaro Princess Hotel? My fiance and I are to honeymoon there on Oct. 4th and we can't get any information on if we will still be able to stay there. If anybody can give me information on this hotel or give me a phone number or email address to get in contact with this hotel we would really appreciate this. Thank you!!

You need to contact this hotel directly for information. From the list we have this hotel is closed for repairs for a month -- thus opening mid October. Probably they will relocate you to the Princess Punta Cana hotel, the only one of this chain that is open in the area. Of course, there may have been changes, so try contacting the hotel directly.

Let us know what you find out and how things go with your visit.

gegopa

Sep 24, 2004
bavaro princess october

texasgirl said:

Hi texasgirl, any news on the Bavaro Princess Hotel? We?re leaving on the 11th October and nobody seems to know anything about the Bavaro. Have e-mailed them twice, but no replay. Would be gratefull for any information.
Thanks.

texasgirl

Sep 22, 2004
gegopa said:
Hi texasgirl, any news on the Bavaro Princess Hotel? We?re leaving on the 11th October and nobody seems to know anything about the Bavaro. Have e-mailed them twice, but no replay. Would be gratefull for any information.
Thanks.

I have emailed them also and still no reply. We are not sure what to do. We are thinking of cancelling the trip and going somewhere else. If you find out anything please let us know.
Thanks

Mois

Sep 26, 2004
I am supposed to be going to The Bavaro Princess on 07/10/2004. After reading some of these comments I decided to contact the hotel direct, using an email address that had been posted in another forum. Here is their reply:

Dear Mr/s:

a. BAVARO PRINCESS HOTEL, CARIBE CLUB PRINCESS HOTEL and TROPICAL
PRINCESS HOTEL

In these 3 hotels, damages for flooding are considerable. For all that, our commitment with service and quality and the strong will to operate in a responsible way, make us decided to close temporally in order to re-open in the most efficient conditions.

We consider this closing for the next 40 days. Nevertheless, we will keep you informed of the progress and the exact day of re-opening, which could take place before this term or as if we should extend it.

Regards
Andrea

MARIA FERNANDA SANCHEZ
ASISTENTE RESERVACIONES
RESERVATIONS ASSISTANT
HOTEL BAVARO PRINCESS ALL SUITES RESORT
HOTEL PUNTA CANA PRINCESS
TE. 221-2311 EXT 4148
FAX 552-1288
EMAIL: reservas@bavaroprincess.com.do

I have spoken to someone at Thomson Holidays. They are not aware that the Bavaro Princess is closed. The person I spoke to advised me that at the moment my holiday would still go ahead. He said that Thomson have sent some health and safety advisors out to the resort to check out the situation and they should know more next week.

Regarding my options I have two choices:

A) I can transfer my holiday to another destination within the Thomson group and pay any additional cost plus ?30.00 admin fee per person (there are 8 people in my party), provided the increase is not more that 10% and I must travel on or before my current departure date (not after)

B) I wait to see if Thomson decides to cancel my holiday (this could be 48 hours before my departure date). If they cancel my holiday I have the following options:

i) Thomson will try to offer alternative accommodation of an equal standard, if this is not possible they will try to upgrade us at no additional cost. If this is not possible they will offer lower standard accommodation and refund the difference in price.
ii) We can book a different holiday within the Thomson group. This time it does not matter how much more or less the holiday is. If it is more we pay the difference, if it is less we get a refund for the difference. We can also travel at any time we like.
iii) We chose not to travel and Thomson will give a full refund for the holiday.

We will probably go with option B (the holiday has already cost us enough) and hope that they don?t leave it too late to let us know if we are going or not.

Hope this helps anyone else who is worried about the situation in DR.

Last edited by a moderator:

David & Aurelia

Sep 29, 2004
Have you considered Casa de Campo?

You may want to consider other hotels in the region that are far enough to have avoided serious damage as an option. Casa de Campo is one of them. There was a concert last Friday night at the Casa de Campo Marina with Sergio Vargas. A great party! The plaza was full and the dance floor was packed. All under the Caribbean stars.
You wouldn't know that a storm had passed.

All the yachts I saw in the harbour appeared undamaged and if there was damage to the harbor, it was not obvious to us at the party in Plaza Portofino.

Hope this helps,

David

Mois said:
I am supposed to be going to The Bavaro Princess on 07/10/2004. After reading some of these comments I decided to contact the hotel direct, using an email address that had been posted in another forum. Here is their reply:

Dear Mr/s:

a. BAVARO PRINCESS HOTEL, CARIBE CLUB PRINCESS HOTEL and TROPICAL
PRINCESS HOTEL

In these 3 hotels, damages for flooding are considerable. For all that, our commitment with service and quality and the strong will to operate in a responsible way, make us decided to close temporally in order to re-open in the most efficient conditions.

We consider this closing for the next 40 days. Nevertheless, we will keep you informed of the progress and the exact day of re-opening, which could take place before this term or as if we should extend it.

Regards
Andrea

MARIA FERNANDA SANCHEZ
ASISTENTE RESERVACIONES
RESERVATIONS ASSISTANT
HOTEL BAVARO PRINCESS ALL SUITES RESORT
HOTEL PUNTA CANA PRINCESS
TE. 221-2311 EXT 4148
FAX 552-1288
EMAIL: reservas@bavaroprincess.com.do

I have spoken to someone at Thomson Holidays. They are not aware that the Bavaro Princess is closed. The person I spoke to advised me that at the moment my holiday would still go ahead. He said that Thomson have sent some health and safety advisors out to the resort to check out the situation and they should know more next week.

Regarding my options I have two choices:

A) I can transfer my holiday to another destination within the Thomson group and pay any additional cost plus ?30.00 admin fee per person (there are 8 people in my party), provided the increase is not more that 10% and I must travel on or before my current departure date (not after)

B) I wait to see if Thomson decides to cancel my holiday (this could be 48 hours before my departure date). If they cancel my holiday I have the following options:

i) Thomson will try to offer alternative accommodation of an equal standard, if this is not possible they will try to upgrade us at no additional cost. If this is not possible they will offer lower standard accommodation and refund the difference in price.
ii) We can book a different holiday within the Thomson group. This time it does not matter how much more or less the holiday is. If it is more we pay the difference, if it is less we get a refund for the difference. We can also travel at any time we like.
iii) We chose not to travel and Thomson will give a full refund for the holiday.

We will probably go with option B (the holiday has already cost us enough) and hope that they don?t leave it too late to let us know if we are going or not.

Hope this helps anyone else who is worried about the situation in DR.

CindyP71

Sep 20, 2004
David & Aurelia said:
You may want to consider other hotels in the region that are far enough to have avoided serious damage as an option. Casa de Campo is one of them. There was a concert last Friday night at the Casa de Campo Marina with Sergio Vargas. A great party! The plaza was full and the dance floor was packed. All under the Caribbean stars.
You wouldn't know that a storm had passed.

All the yachts I saw in the harbour appeared undamaged and if there was damage to the harbor, it was not obvious to us at the party in Plaza Portofino.

Hope this helps,

David

Even tho the resort we were suppose to stay at claimed they had absolutely no damage from the hurricane, and our travel agent continued to say that the trip was still on, 20 hours before our departure, the travel agent e-mailed me stating that they have canceled all flights going to the Dominican Republic due to the Dominican Republic not being up to their standards. I was grateful that they finally "saw the light", but I believe they should have been able to cancel the trip earlier than 20 hours prior. Keep in mind, the DR is a third world country so their standards would be below our standards prior to the hurricane. Even tho everything may seem to be okay, I seriously doubt they are.

As of this morning, over 1500 people have been killed just on the other side of the island (in Haiti). There is no running water or electricity and people are so hungry that they are raiding the planes that are coming in from the US to provide the residents with food. What will stop the Haitians from crossing to the other side of the island? How can one hurricane devastate only 1/2 an island and not the other especially when the hurrican was larger than the island itself?

Keep your eyes on the condition of Haiti and then decide if it's worth it. If you are forced to go, please get something in writing from your agency that they will reimburse you 100% if things aren't up to par.

By the way, I just called our resort and they continue to say that everything is okay (just proves to me standards they live by).

Good luck to all of you who still are forced to go.

iluvvac

Sep 22, 2004
CindyP71 said:
As of this morning, over 1500 people have been killed just on the other side of the island (in Haiti). There is no running water or electricity and people are so hungry that they are raiding the planes that are coming in from the US to provide the residents with food. What will stop the Haitians from crossing to the other side of the island? How can one hurricane devastate only 1/2 an island and not the other especially when the hurrican was larger than the island itself?

The Haitians are the poorest of the Caribbean people. They have no money for oil, so they heat & cook with wood. To do this, they have cut down over 75% of the trees on the island. Since there are no roots to hold the dirt in place, they had severe mudslides. This is what caused the majority of the deaths. http://www.usatoday.com/weather/hurricane/2004-09-23-haiti-deforest_x.htm That is how only 1/2 the island could be devastated. Jeanne wasn't even a hurricane when it reached the Haitian side of the island. In fact, she was only a Cat. 1 hurricane for a short time when it hit the east coast. It was quickly downgraded to tropical storm soon thereafter.

As for Haitians trying to cross the border, they try all the time. But it is a long way from Haiti to Punta Cana - about 250 miles. There are cities and towns much closer to the border for them to stop in and try find a new life.

gayle

Sep 23, 2004
New Opening date

texasgirl said:

I just read on another popular website that the Bavaro Princess will not be opening until Dec 4, 2004. Don't know how true this is....it was an email directly from the resort (I guess) but I'm disappointed....my first trip is scheduled for Nov 20th. Does anyone have any other info on this resort or the other "princess" resorts? Is the Bavaro Princess the nicer of all?

CindyP71

Sep 20, 2004
iluvvac said:
The Haitians are the poorest of the Caribbean people. They have no money for oil, so they heat & cook with wood. To do this, they have cut down over 75% of the trees on the island. Since there are no roots to hold the dirt in place, they had severe mudslides. This is what caused the majority of the deaths. http://www.usatoday.com/weather/hurricane/2004-09-23-haiti-deforest_x.htm That is how only 1/2 the island could be devastated. Jeanne wasn't even a hurricane when it reached the Haitian side of the island. In fact, she was only a Cat. 1 hurricane for a short time when it hit the east coast. It was quickly downgraded to tropical storm soon thereafter.

As for Haitians trying to cross the border, they try all the time. But it is a long way from Haiti to Punta Cana - about 250 miles. There are cities and towns much closer to the border for them to stop in and try find a new life.

Did not know that... thanks for the info!!

lkiddell

Sep 22, 2004
Communication to the Caribe Club Princess

WARNING,
Anyone who is staying at the Caribe Club Princess in Punta Cana.
My family and I stayed there from January 2, 2005 and were due to depart on January 9, 2005.
My father was rushed to the hospital with a major heart condtion and my family tried for 3 days to reach us at the number that I left them which was on thier website. The guest service representatives at the resort kept hanging up on them and even when my brother who speaks Fluent Spanish called was hung up on. I was not notified untill finally my brother on accident miss dialed and reached someone in the DR cell phone, who helped him get through we were finally notified on the 7th of January As it turned out my Father passed away shortly after are return, I wish I had those few days that the Resort I blame the resort and their communication (English,Spanish) for.
My warning is to make sure you have someone who speaks fluent Spanish call in case of an Emergency.