just saying what is on my mind

tuxedodan

Sep 22, 2004
I've been here in the DR for about 2 years, and I've seen the situation gone from good to worse. My main problem is with the light, I cannot do any work without. With the new government, the situation was ok at the beginning. However, now the light problem is coming back. What scares me is that we have no idea when they are going to go off and come back. It is like some game they are playing, one that is not funny for me and all the other people that are living here. The people live in constant fear of wondering when the light will go. I wish they would at least have a schedule.
Even though the moral of people have increased with the new government, I believe this can deeply change if the situation gets worse. I would like this country to do well, but people must stop just sitting around waiting and do something. People can agree with me that life here is simple compared to the states, more layed back and taking life slowly. However, this "layed back" behavior can damage the economy to an extreme extent. Please share your ideas, thanks.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Please buy an invertor and/ or genset................

.....so you will not have to live in "constant fear" of the lack of light .

Good Luck!

P.S. If you work during the day (instead of night) you won't need to purchase the invertor or the genset!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have to agree with pms, ooops, sorry, dms, yes DMS

The solution offered is really just that simple: Make your own.

Either go with solar and wind (expensive initial outlay and completer re-structuring of your appliances for low consumption items) or get
a genset and inverter.

A Genset of 7-15 kw will run your house with little sacrifice, except money, of course. Run the Genset to charge the inverter, and when you want quiet power, like at night, you use the inverter to run your stuff. (How much stuff is up to you and your pocket book)

Unfortunately for all of us, this energy crisis was predicted way back in the 1990s...Privatization had not become a bad word as yet, and when the Fernandez regime sold off the generators and the distributors, keeping the transmission and part of ther generation, the die was cast for this very
sad situation to happen. And nobody knows where the US$700 million is! Yes, that's right. The govt sold off their participation in the electricity sector for US$700 million. The PLD government-the same dunceheads that are in power right now, told the country: "WE are going to deposit this money in the Bahamas (??!!!) so as not to unbalance the local exchange rate." But nobody has ever found out and told the public where this treasure is, or what is being done with the interest generated or who got the commission for depositing that much money in a bank or banks in the freaking Bahamas????????

So, get as prepared as you can, since things will not change in the short of medium haul...

Sadly,

HB :(:(:(:(:(

And I was so nice about this that I edited out all the profanity!! Old age!

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Point well taken

tuxedodan said:
I've been here in the DR for about 2 years, and I've seen the situation gone from good to worse. My main problem is with the light, I cannot do any work without. With the new government, the situation was ok at the beginning. However, now the light problem is coming back. What scares me is that we have no idea when they are going to go off and come back. It is like some game they are playing, one that is not funny for me and all the other people that are living here. The people live in constant fear of wondering when the light will go. I wish they would at least have a schedule.
Even though the moral of people have increased with the new government, I believe this can deeply change if the situation gets worse. I would like this country to do well, but people must stop just sitting around waiting and do something. People can agree with me that life here is simple compared to the states, more layed back and taking life slowly. However, this "layed back" behavior can damage the economy to an extreme extent. Please share your ideas, thanks.

So now that you have experienced the Dominican Republic with it's problems all in two years you have discovered a few things. You have seen people that sit around and do nothing and the country's infrastructure is lacking. Can I ask you a question? What do you suggest these people to do? Sure there are the lazy, every country has them including yours (wherever that is). However, let me tell you that not all Dominicans are laid back which I am gathering you mean lazy. Perhaps if there was more business in this country and a better educational system things could be better. Please do not prejudge all of these people as lazy. They might be laid back but that must not be misunderstood as lazy. The Dominicans have been laid back long before the gringos decided to come here on their little sailing ships and later on in jet airplanes. Enjoy all of the fine things this country offers such as the laid back lifestyle. Many of us ex pats, including myself come here for exactly that. On to the other problem; take everyone's advice and do what everyone else does. Buy an invertor!

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Tuxedodan

Now you know what everyone else who have lived here for some time have been going through on almost a daily basis!

This is not the USA or Europe where the infrastructure has been established and expanded upon over the past centuries.

The DR is primarily an agricultural community, always has been and is struggling to enter the industrial first world. It's government is archaic, frought with nepotism and political patronage, much like the USA in it's early days to the 1890's when the Industrial Revolution started taking hold there.
That industrial age is just now reaching a magnitude of significance here and it will require many changes in the thinking and organizational structure of the country before you will see an appreciable and significant change taking place. Just be patient as are the rest of us and try to accelerate those necessary changes by pointing out to your Dominican friends the advantages of making the changes necessary.

Take a look under "Government" here and check in to the 'Chaos' thread. Join in.

Texas Bill