Pictures?

stolz

Sep 22, 2004
I am scheduled to stay at Sunscape in a few weeks...My travel agent and the resort are saying it will re-open on Monday. The websites say it has been opened and never closed. Several people on Trip Advisor have said they were evacuated from the resort. I understand the hotel's need to keep people interested in coming, but come on. It seems obvious to just about everyone that what the hotels are saying is not true. Doesn't this make less people want to go? I am not excited about going somewhere where they are willing to lie to me to get me to come. Does anyone have any actual pictures or reports from resorts in the last couple of days...post hurricane. I just need to know if I should be putting pressure on my agent to switch us. Our trip is a 10th anniversary. I just want to take my wife somewhere nice to show her my appreciation for putting up with me for 10 years. Neither of us would expect perfection, even under non-hurricane-recovery circumstances...I just don't want to get the last minute and have no options. Honest info from the resort would be ideal, but an honest opinion from someone who is or has actually been there would be great too. Thanks.

OctoberBride04

Sep 14, 2004
Deep Breath...

Hi Stolz - Like I said in another post about this. (I think we are going around the same time...) but I talked to my travel agent and she called Sunscape Punta Cana Grand and they verified they are open, have not closed and only have flood damage and expect to be back to 100% on Monday. They said there is NO structural damage. So, go have a great time and enjoy your time away with your wife... We're going for our honeymoon 10/25 - 10/29. I know what you are feeling... But everything is going to be fine!

stolz

Sep 22, 2004
ok

Yeah, you are right. I have wasted way too much time trying to figure it out anyway. Hope you have a great honeymoon!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
stolz said:
I am scheduled to stay at Sunscape in a few weeks...My travel agent and the resort are saying it will re-open on Monday. The websites say it has been opened and never closed. Several people on Trip Advisor have said they were evacuated from the resort. .....

I recall reading a post on DR1 of one of the persons who was evacuated who bitterly complained about being evacuated. His bitterness was that the resort was not closed, and he had to abort his vacation. If things had been that bad at the resort, he wouldn't have been so bothered. From what I recall reading, he wanted to stay.

Do a search of the forum using Sunscape as keyword and you may be able to find it, and maybe even write to that person to ask.

Again, you speak of "a few weeks" so that gives even more time for them to get everything back to normal. But go with a positive mind, and tell us about it all when you get back.

iluvvac

Sep 22, 2004
I'm traveling to the Sunscape Punta Grand at the end of October and have the same concerns as everyone else. I emailed the hotel & got the following response:

Hola,

Greetings from Punta Cana.
Thank you for considering Sunscape Punta Cana Grand as your vacation
destination.
In response to your e-mail I inform you that the hotel suffered som minor
damages, however will be fully operational as from the 27th of September.

In case of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,
XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Executive Assistant
Sunscape Punta Cana Grand
Tel (809) 686 98 98
Fax (809) 686 96 99

I saw those pictures that someone posted on another board, and they look to, just from a guess, to be a lot of palm frons (sp?) and what appear to be an outdoor food stand/bar. The management of this hotel is posting and updating the status on their website. They appearantly have a very good reputation and they seem to be opening new hotels in the DR and Mexico and I doubt they need their reputation tarnished by lying to their guests.

I don't expect everything to be at 100%, but I expect that when they say they are fully operational, they have most of their facilities open.

Just my 2 cents