Advice on Samana

chconkl

Sep 23, 2004
I'm trying to plan a trip to Samana after Christmas. Is there a way to get there from Santo Domingo without spending the night in SD and flying the next day? Also...I'd like to stay in a smaller hotel, but find that I can't find or book them online. When you have travelled to DR, did you use a travel agent? I'd like to avoid this. I'll be flying from New York City.

Also...hotel recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks.

Christy

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Arrive early and then drive all day. You can arrive on AA from JFK at 11:30 a.m. but it might be more sensible to arrive at POP at around 4 p.m. and you are a lot closer than the 5 hours arriving SDQ would put you. I can't imagine needing a travel agent to book a simple R/T ticket - I use AA.com and buy online in a few minutes. The hotel depends on when and where you arrive, but if SDQ overnight, pick Boca Chica since it is closer to the airport by a lot and cheaper by far.

chconkl

Sep 23, 2004
I didn't mean I need a travel agent to book the airline ticket to SD, I meant for an airline ticket from SD to Samana. Hard to get information except for what's on this site. Air Dominica isn't online.

As for the hotel, I was also referring to hotels in Samana. I don't want to stay at an all inclusive and was hoping to book a smaller hotel. This doesn't seem possible online as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the advice on the SD hotel.

cc

ricktoronto said:
Arrive early and then drive all day. You can arrive on AA from JFK at 11:30 a.m. but it might be more sensible to arrive at POP at around 4 p.m. and you are a lot closer than the 5 hours arriving SDQ would put you. I can't imagine needing a travel agent to book a simple R/T ticket - I use AA.com and buy online in a few minutes. The hotel depends on when and where you arrive, but if SDQ overnight, pick Boca Chica since it is closer to the airport by a lot and cheaper by far.

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
When I was making the arrangements for my husband and I to stay a couple of days in Las Terrenas (and also when I rented our villa in Cabarete) I did it all through email. I would suggest emailing the various places that you are interested in staying for quotes and availability. Bear in mind that responses may be a bit slow at the moment due to the problems of communication because of Jeanne at the moment, but you do have plenty of time to make your decision.

Most places are also able to help you make arrangements to get from your point of arrival to their hotel, including advice on a good place to stay if you have to overnight.

I hope this helps and do keep us posted on how your plans go (I get vicarious pleasure from hearing about other people's plans).

Rose

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am gonna do you a favor

Get in touch with Ellen at : aliveandwellinthedr@hotmail.com

She is in Saman? and cand really give you the inside poop.

As for traveling: Do the wise thing and book a flight to Santiago and take a bus to Samana. There are a jillion ways to get to Saman? from here. Its just 3 1/2 hours from here.

Let me know if I can be of more assistance.

HB :D:D

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dude, it's a whole bunch closer

For several reasons.
1) the airport is closer to town
2) It is much faster to get in and out of the airport
3) From Santiago you have several alternatives
a. Get in in the wee hours and take the first bus to Samana
b. Get in mid morning and go to San Francisco de Macoris and catch the afternoon bus to Samana
c. Get in in the evening, stay at a very inexpensive hotel like the Colonial and then rested all up take "a"

FYI: The airport is ten minutes from the center of the city.

FYI:There are several buses leaving for Saman? all day long.

Edited to add: Look at this thread: http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=240022#post240022

Last edited:

chconkl

Sep 23, 2004
I know some people who are staying at the Tropical Banana, which is in Terreras (sp). I'd like to be somewhat close to them. That hotel is booked. I looked on Trip Advisor and it seems there are several small hotels.

Santiago it is...you sold me.

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
Last year, we were told by Caribe and Metro that there was no direct bus from Samana to Santiago, we'd have to change at S.F. De Macoris. We took the "chicken bus" direct from Samana market and it was a hoot! Lots of stops & interesting people, but direct. Depot In Santiago was close to our hotel, the Colonial I think, the one Ken uses & recommends. It was an easy walk even for an old fart with a bad knee.

In Samana, you need to distinguish between the peninsula and the town ( actually Santa Barbara de Samana but everyone just calls it Samana.)

Las Terenas is on the other side of the peninsula & there are lots of hotels there. If you want to stay in Samana, we use a hotel which changes it's name from time to time. Last I heard it was Bahia View. Ave Circunvalacion #4 Samana. Tel 538-2186. Basic, but clean & less expensive than Tropical. Oh, no English spoken, last year anyway.

chconkl

Sep 23, 2004
Las Terenas is the area we're going to. Now I'm wondering how to get there from Santiago airport! Chicken bus might work...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am gonna hold judgement on Las Terrenas for a while

Las Terrenas was hit very hard by Jeanne. My son and daughter in law are going out that way later on today, and I expect to get a report from them. Until then, hold yer horses, okay?

As for the "chicken" bus. Not from Santiago, I have seen them and they are nice 30 passengers buses. Piece of cake: You take the bus as far as Nagua and then get a local over to Las Terrenas. Just a hop, skip and jump away...

Cordially,

Edited to add-> Look at this thread-> http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=240022#post240022

Last edited:

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
Nagua to Las Terenas? That's some big hop, HB. I was thinking Santiago to Sanchez, then the guagua. What do you think? Stan.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You are absolutely right, Stan, I should have said S?nchez!

My bad.

Here is what my son just told me an hour ago:

Las Terrenas was devastated by the hurricane. All the hotels are currently closed and repairing damage. The power is out but it is possible that by tomorrow power and water will get back on line. Surprisingly, cellphone service was loud and clear.
Huge trees were blown apart, including very, very large ones, and coconut trees that should have withstood the storm.
It took them 45 minutes to travel what is usually 20 minutes..

I will talk to him tomorrow. If there is anything new I will report it here.

HB

chconkl

Sep 23, 2004
Thanks for the update. I wonder if the area will be up and running by the time I want to go there? Or maybe a different part of the DR would be better. I did get in touch with the person running the Tropical Banana. She was at an Internet cafe in Samana City because she had no electricity in the hotel. Wow.

christa

Sep 22, 2004
las terrenas

Hi,

Had news from friends who arives last night at Punta d'Oro, Las Terrenas. Good road conditions, no problems to get from Puerto Plata Airport to Las Terrenas a 2 1/2 hour drive.

Red Sunset Cabans don't have problems and is full operational. (contact with friend 23 days ago)
Punta d 'Oro, full operational, (contact 2 days ago and this morning)
El Paseo, full operational. (contact yesterday e-mail and phone)
El Portillo had some damage but is operational.

This weekend the village gathered to do the big repairs near the beach (restaurants)
People think al will be in order within the next 4 - 5 days.

Sheap and good hotel in Las Terrenas is Diny's. This one is also in the Loney Planet. (only to be reached by fax or phone)

Last year we flew from St.Dom to El Portillo, Samana with Aero Domca. Booked on the internet. Half hour flight, two persons in total 195 $.
to be reached by e-mail; aerodomca@codetel.net.do
site; www.aerodomca.com

I hope to have been at some help.

chconkl

Sep 23, 2004
Thanks so much! I've contacted them.

Does anyone know if the smaller hotels in Las Terrenas are on the beach? Or is it just large all-inclusives?

christa

Sep 22, 2004
hotels

chconkl said:
Thanks so much! I've contacted them.

Does anyone know if the smaller hotels in Las Terrenas are on the beach? Or is it just large all-inclusives?

Here I am again.
Larger hotels and all inclusives are to be found in the Playa Bonita Area.
Next to that there is El Portillo Beach Resort in the opposite direction.
(is across the road of the very, very, very smal airport of el portillo)
From El Portillo to Las Terrenas you can find the first hotels/appartments at 3 - 4 km.
They are small and to be rented with and without breakfast. Mostly appartements full equipt.
Further on in the direction of Playa Las Ballenas you will find a few big once wich don't look that way when you pass them and also private small once.
You can get information on the folowing site;
www.lasterrenas.com then go to "zona comercial" hoteles.
Here you can find names, adresses, sites or/and e-mail adresses.

Good luck,