Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Mr_DR said:
Are gay Dominicans out of the closet
or are they still hiding from society
dodging stones?

Which ones?

Turn on the local TV. There are plenty of openly gay Dominicans. As with most taboos here, Dominican gays run in and out of the closet as it suits them.

Apr 26, 2002
Like most places, it depends on class, level of education and geography. But the DR should not be considered "progressive" in this regard.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I have yet to see any public figure on TV openly say that he/she is gay, but for some it couldn't be more obvious. They could be somewhere between it's-a-non-issue, a wtf-do-you-care? or still having a foot in the closet.

There are, supposedly, a lot of gay/bisexual men/women in the closet here that lead a double life to maintain "respectability" in society. On the bright side: for the most part there is very little violence directed at gayfolks. On the dark side: they have nowhere near the protection against discrimination that they have in other countries. On the darker side: nobody has that protection here.

principe

Nov 19, 2002
There are no gay dominicans, "not that there is anything wrong with that", but it is clearly stated on rule 146 of the being Dominican rule book,
146. No gay dominicans.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
principe said:
There are no gay dominicans, "not that there is anything wrong with that", but it is clearly stated on rule 146 of the being Dominican rule book,
146. No gay dominicans.
::looks around to check what forum I'm posting in::

BS!

If that's a joke it's lame. If you are serious that is stupid and offensive.

Pick your choice.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Fernandito Villalona and El Pacha......can it be more obvious? THey probably played around or something backstage :eek:

bienvenido

Sep 5, 2004
Some

Check out Harry, channel 5 from 12-2pm program "tirando Duro" has a section around 1230 pm. He is an open gay. Is another one in channel 9, believe on Sunday, around 7 pm.

HR

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
As Was ALREADY stated!

There are many Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual personalities in the "ARTS"! They hardly count when discussing the "Gay" Community as a whole in the DR!Most of those who are "OUT" are not in the higher socio-economic class,where it could/would affect one's job prospects.The President of "Verizon"(For All I Know)could be a "Flaming" Cross-Dresser.We would never see him in "Drag",thats for shure!As has also been correctly stated,I have seen no incidenses of open discrimination,or "Gay Bashing"!I do find the way gay men are portrayed on television to be offensive.(Always a "Drag Queen") I have NEVER seen a "Lesbian" on a TV show! Probably due to the fact that Dominican men don't like the idea of "Lesbianism"! They feel that being a lesbian is a "Choice",so he could therefore "Change" her mind.If he "couldn't",it is a negative reflection on his "Machismo"!

Now,that said,this WILL NOT become a forum for any verbal "Gay Bashing",so if you have nothing constructive to say,"DON'T!"

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Criss, I completely agree with your first, er, paragraph(?). The idea that the only kind of gay men are the crossdresser/drag queen and the flaming gay is offensive (heck some crossdressers are perfectly straight men), but probably born out of utter ignorance of the facts of life. Also ditto on lesbianism.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I think the degree of homophobia present in mainstream Dominican culure, even "lesbophobia" I have witnessed among Dominican women seems to indicate to me that there is alot of repressed homosexuality barely below the surface.

Also having run a bar that was once a Santiago gay/lesbian hangout made me aware that Dominican gays are pretty much everywhere but can turn their flames on and off at the drop of a hat, there is a codeword among Dominican gays: anytime one of them mentions "Lilian" it is code to the rest of them to be discreet because someones parents/wife/uncle etc. is around and doesn't know little Jose is a flamer when his family is not around.

JANET/NJ

Jun 21, 2004
Gays/lesbians in the DR are out and about, but it all depends on where in the DR they are. Some pueblos seem to discriminate more then others. I had never seen such flamboyance of gay activity as i did in a visit to "el malecon"; you would never see something like that in some towns in el Cibao.

I must say that according to my cousins in Bonao there is a lot of gays and lesbians; and whenever i do go down there the girls like to hold hands everywhere they go... :confused:

Being raised in the states i'm not so much like the rest of my family who are all closed minded about gays............in my family it's a no..no! Even though we suspect of 2 of them, it's never talked about.

In my opinion...........MORE POWER TO THE GAY COMMUNITY HERE AND EVERYWHERE!

Ant

Feb 1, 2002
There are no (at least that I know of) prominent people coming out saying that they are gay. There is still a stigma attached and could possiby harm them socially and professionally. But, there is a vibrant, underground "gay" scene for prominent gays in this country. Like anywhere, you have to be in that social class. Also, there is a thriving gay scene in Santo Domingo centered in the colonial zone where there are several bars/clubs located. I find in the Dominican Republic it is all about discretion and how you conduct yourself.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Ant said:
There are no (at least that I know of) prominent people coming out saying that they are gay. There is still a stigma attached and could possiby harm them socially and professionally. But, there is a vibrant, underground "gay" scene for prominent gays in this country. Like anywhere, you have to be in that social class. Also, there is a thriving gay scene in Santo Domingo centered in the colonial zone where there are several bars/clubs located. I find in the Dominican Republic it is all about discretion and how you conduct yourself.

I have nothing against gays but a few years ago they were not able to walk one block down the street without risking their lives.
Tigueres have always dislike them and they were the one that caused them to stay locked up in the closet.

Let the record be known that I have nothing against gays.