Best way from Santiago to Puerto Plata?

pharmie

Aug 9, 2004
My husband, I and 3 children will be arriving via Continental in Santiago next week. We're not travelling with a tourist company and would appreciate advice on what to expect at the airport and the best way to get us to our resort in Peurto Plata. I'm expecting to hire a van, but what should we look for (or avoid) and how much should we agree to pay? We're heading to Breezes. Our Spanish is very basic, but we can communicate. Thanks!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
pharmie said:
My husband, I and 3 children will be arriving via Continental in Santiago next week. We're not travelling with a tourist company and would appreciate advice on what to expect at the airport and the best way to get us to our resort in Peurto Plata. I'm expecting to hire a van, but what should we look for (or avoid) and how much should we agree to pay? We're heading to Breezes. Our Spanish is very basic, but we can communicate. Thanks!

Breezes is actually located between Sosua and Cabarete, not Puerto Plata. Your confusion is understandable because the promo for the hotel seems to indicate it is in Puerto Plata.

If the situation at the Santiago airport is like at Puerto Plata, there will be a sign posted indicating what the price is to various locations. You can try to bargain, but in the end you will need to pay what is asked.

An option is to take a taxi from airport to Santiago, a Caribe Tours bus from there to Sosua, and a cab from there to the hotel. Can probably save some money, but with a family of 5 and all your luggage, probably not worth the hassle.

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
Hope you have a great trip pharmie....

Here in STI just like Ken accurately points put there is a taxi service with all the fares posted on a board right outside Customs........

Your best and safe bet is to go to our information counter right besides the airlines check in to the left of the customs exit......... there you can ask directly for the cab fare and know EXACLTY what u should pay....... they`ll even call the taxi for u.....

Keep in mind just like Ken says that is difficult to jump from 2 taxi cabs and a bus ride....... The taxi will take u right to the hotel front door is safer and more confortable...... Fare as i find out right now is around 1800 DR pesos... exchange rate is around 36 to the dollar.....
Hope that i have helped u out!!!
Have a great trip....... let me know if u like our airport and the service....

Good Luck...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I might be able to help you

My old driver is now a taxi driver at the airport. In fact he is #1 driver of the association. His name is Rafaelito, and he is safe, courteous and very nice.

If you get in contact with me via email or PM (just click my name for the menu) I can have him waiting for you and yours. No problem and probably save you a few hundred..pesos.

HB :D:D

breeze

Sep 25, 2004
STIOP said:
Hope you have a great trip pharmie....

Here in STI just like Ken accurately points put there is a taxi service with all the fares posted on a board right outside Customs........

Your best and safe bet is to go to our information counter right besides the airlines check in to the left of the customs exit......... there you can ask directly for the cab fare and know EXACLTY what u should pay....... they`ll even call the taxi for u.....

Keep in mind just like Ken says that is difficult to jump from 2 taxi cabs and a bus ride....... The taxi will take u right to the hotel front door is safer and more confortable...... Fare as i find out right now is around 1800 DR pesos... exchange rate is around 36 to the dollar.....
Hope that i have helped u out!!!
Have a great trip....... let me know if u like our airport and the service....

Good Luck...

If you have 3 or 4 couples would that price be for the entire van?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I will be seeing Rafaelito in a little while

I will post the prices here.

Back in a few..

HB :D

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
breeze said:
If you have 3 or 4 couples would that price be for the entire van?

The price is for a van or car.... most of the taxis are vans with capacity for 6 to 7 people + bags

pharmie

Aug 9, 2004
Thanks

STIOP said:
The price is for a van or car.... most of the taxis are vans with capacity for 6 to 7 people + bags
I cannot believe the good fortune I found, when I found you. I have read your, posts, etc. I believe you are good people, and you wish to help us "Newbies". I have lived in Ohio almost my entire life and I have a healthy fear of bringing my children into a foreign country. We want to distribute our collection of supplies through project Dream, and through Outback safari or other methods. Hillbilly, thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Festero

Dec 15, 2002
Pharmie, just wondering why you aren't flying right into POP? Was Santiago a significantly better deal or something?

pharmie

Aug 9, 2004
Festero said:
Pharmie, just wondering why you aren't flying right into POP? Was Santiago a significantly better deal or something?
yes. less than $400 for the kids from cleveland and just above for us adults. about $200 a piece difference between airports. that's a thousand dollars in my book.

Festero

Dec 15, 2002
Good deal!

Well, that's certainly a compelling reason.

Hopefully you will arrive during daylight hours, as it's a beautiful ride! If it's your first time, as I understood from your post, you'll be very busy taking in all the tropical, and cultural scenery!

Stop a time or two along the way for some beer, sodas and snacks.

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
pharmie said:
I cannot believe the good fortune I found, when I found you. I have read your, posts, etc. I believe you are good people, and you wish to help us "Newbies". I have lived in Ohio almost my entire life and I have a healthy fear of bringing my children into a foreign country. We want to distribute our collection of supplies through project Dream, and through Outback safari or other methods. Hillbilly, thanks for your help.

Really is my pleasure........

Here at the forum we really feel good when people like you feel safe to travel to our beautiful country.... You won`t regret coming down here....

Great luck!!!!!!!