What is the prision population in DR

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
We talked about this in the DR1 News a few weeks ago

I think the number is around 30,000 but that is just an educated guess, not the actual figures.

You could probably look it up in the DR1 New Archives, or do a search of www.elcaribe.com.do archives for prison figures..

HB :D:D

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I can agree on that!

I tried to look it up in the sugested sites but it doesn't come up.

And I know that I have seen that number.

And 80% are in jail on charges but have not gone to trial as yet or are pending the conclusion of a trial process that can and does drag on for years.

Thanks.

HB

Found it!
The news article was written on July 21 of this year, but I don't have access to the page.. :(:( Yet!

Last edited:

bienvenido

Sep 5, 2004
quite a few

Exact figure? hard to say. But I can tell you that half of the population if they enforce the law could be in jail. :nervous:

Last edited:

Merengue

Dec 10, 2003
North American Airlines

Heard Today That North American Airlines Is No Longer Goint To Santo Domingo...why? It's True?.......

Merengue

Dec 10, 2003
Jfk Terminal 5

It's True That Jetblue Is Taking Terminal 5 At Jfk?...
So If It's That Means That Jfk Is Now To Full Capacity.

Riu

Jun 11, 2004
I found some figures in the tune of 13-14000. is this to say that the prision systems is seriously overpopulated?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Hillbilly said:
The news article was written on July 21 of this year, but I don't have access to the page.. :(:( Yet!
This is what it said on July 21 (I had it in my inbox)

8. Majority of inmates are not apt for pardons
A full 77% of all inmates in Dominican jails are not even close to getting an executive pardon. The massive amounts of pardons, which have surpassed standard proportions over the past two years, have created a controversy and prompted charges of corruption. The cases of Stalin Lebron, the ?Queen of Ecstasy? and the scandal in the town of Mao, where pardons were sold so that the drug operations could continue, are just three of the examples that have made the headlines.
Meanwhile, inmates held in preventive custody are living in very crowded conditions and continue to comprise the vast majority of the DR?s prison population. Of the 13,435 inmates currently housed in the 32 Dominican jails, the Board of Prisons says that 67.5% have not been convicted of any crime. This represents 9,079 inmates who still do not know what the future holds for them, no matter how long they have been inside the prison walls. If the rules are followed correctly, only convicted inmates can be considered for a pardon. Right now, however, there are 28 inmates not convicted being held in preventative custody who are on the list for presidential pardon on 16 August. Besides the questionable preventative custody cases, there are 1,271 cases of potential pardonees whose trials are still in process. Given their ?pending? status, these inmates are not eligible for pardon, either. All told, this means that 77% of the prison population is ineligible for pardons.
Of 3,086 convicted prisoners, however, 2,612 have been pardoned in recent years by the PRD government.
When El Caribe revealed that 53% of the inmates being considered for pardons had been convicted of murder or drug violations, Attorney General Victor Cespedes told reporters that they would not be eligible for pardon. Nonetheless, he pointed out that an inmate?s behavior was more significant than the crime for which he has been convicted. Cespedes also said that child molesters would not be pardoned.

Searching for "prison population" I found a few articles. This appeared on Wednesday, 28 July 2004
11. Prison stats
An El Caribe report on the DR?s jails that reads like a manual of poor prison management gives some interesting statistics. Sixty-eight percent of the inmates in the jails on the Dominican Republic are under 35 years of age with very little education, says the report, and more than 30% of those held have no assigned space, due to overcrowded conditions. La Victoria prison, designed to house 1,000 inmates, now holds nearly 3,600, and most of the other jails are similarly affected. The jail in Azua has more than four times its designated capacity, while La Romana?s jail exceeds its intended population by five times. Even the ?model? jail at Najayo holds 250% more inmates than it was designed to handle. Jailed for robbery, murder, gang-related incidents or for drug offenses, these inmates live in unimaginably congested conditions. According to the latest report from the Director of Prisons Office, there were 13,549 inmates in jails designed to hold 8,907 people. Other numbers are even worse: In La Victoria has only 354 beds for its 3,600 prisoners. A full 68% of all inmates are there for robbery or homicides, 25% are being held for gang-related crimes, and 18% have been accused of drug-related crimes.

There is much more. But The Bosses will not be happy if I keep posting. Pay to access the archives.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thank you PIB

I did the following:

67.5 is to 9079 as 100 is to X = 13450 inmates.

So we are probably right within a few hundred or so..

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yeah, darlin' I saw that number but

I know you remember former Attorney General Victor Whatshisname and all of the "indultos" ??

So there may be a few hundred less.

Wise a$$ HB :D:D:D

Luz Cifer

Oct 13, 2004
El megadivo

Victor Cespedes cleaned jail population, it was one of his major proyecto and he is very proud of it.

More than 3,000 criminals were released. Robbers, drug deales, rapists, etc, and all of them are free and dangerously armed.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just this week they released new figures and

there were 13, 000 + in the jails, about 79% of which were there without being convicted.

If I remember correctly Murderers and Thieves were the largest two groups in jail, way over 50% of the population.

I think that maybe the article was in the Diario Libre or the El Caribe...

HB :D

Last edited: