Conoa Coral by Hilton, La Romana

charlie_ocs

Sep 24, 2004
Hi there everyone,

Myself and my fiance (well, husband at the time) are due to come out to Dominican Republic on the 9th of October for our honeymoon. We are booked into Conoa Coral by Hilton in La Romana. Obviously, we are a bit concerned after hearing and reading aobut recent weather reports in the Carribean.

I'm just wondering if anyone can put my mind at ease and let me know if there has been any extensive damage to this area and/or the hotel.

We are due to fly out from Glasgow the day after our wedding so obviously we are stressing out. Because there has been so many tropical storms and Hurricanes in the Carribean in recent weeks - we are finding it difficult to keep track of. Are there any more storms/hurricanes on their way to this area?

I would also like to add that my heart goes out to all the natives of Dominican Republic and Haiti (and in fact any one who has been involved) at this disastrous time.

I look forward to hearing from anyone regarding the above.

Charlie
x :nervous: x

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
charlie_ocs said:
Hi there everyone,

Myself and my fiance (well, husband at the time) are due to come out to Dominican Republic on the 9th of October for our honeymoon. We are booked into Conoa Coral by Hilton in La Romana. Obviously, we are a bit concerned after hearing and reading aobut recent weather reports in the Carribean.

I'm just wondering if anyone can put my mind at ease and let me know if there has been any extensive damage to this area and/or the hotel.

We are due to fly out from Glasgow the day after our wedding so obviously we are stressing out. Because there has been so many tropical storms and Hurricanes in the Carribean in recent weeks - we are finding it difficult to keep track of. Are there any more storms/hurricanes on their way to this area?

I would also like to add that my heart goes out to all the natives of Dominican Republic and Haiti (and in fact any one who has been involved) at this disastrous time.

Charlie

By the time you come all will be back to normal. Your hotel suffered only minor damages to landscaping. Do a search and find the thread on the Viva Wyndham Dominicus so you can see photos. Your hotel is nearby.

The only problem with the Bayahibe hotels right now is the access to Santo Domingo. This is being resolved this week with a prefabricated bridge being installed. The bridge was promised for Saturday, 25 September.

nickcfc

Sep 21, 2004
www.carpgallery.com
charlie_ocs said:
Hi there everyone,

Charlie

Hi there,

I am due to fly out to the canoa hilton on Oct 7th.
I have checked out every dominican/carribean forum i can find & also spoken to my holiday company thompsons and there seems to be no problems.
Apparently the hotel was not too damaged , only suffered a bit of flooding.
I hear the beach took a hammering though, loads of the sand got washed away by the sea.
Hope this helps,
Nick

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Pictures of nearby Viva Dominicus were posted on this forum. Don't have the link at this time. From those photos, everything looked fine. I would not be concerned about the beach. My opinion, people wont tell there has been a storm by the looks of the beach.

charlie_ocs

Sep 24, 2004
Thanks for your help guys. I'm feeling a bit less stressed about it all now.

I notice when I check the weather for that area (10 day forecase on weather.co.uk) it still says there are thunderstorms most days. Is this the case?

Are there any more expected tropical storms or hurricanes in the area? I know Hurricane Karl actually went over the Highlands of Scotland at the weekend but this was the only other hurricane I knew of.

Again, any help would be much appreciated.

Charlie
x ;) x

P.S. Nick - where abouts are you flying out from?

woodster

Sep 27, 2004
I can also add to this that yesterday I was relocated from Punta Cana to the Iberostar Hacienda Dominicana in La Romana which they wouldn't have done had it been in a bad state.
I did ask the rep last night about their information about the area and they've told me it's fine. There were two alternative resorts in Punta Cana offered (both RUI properties) but we were warned that there was still some flooding in the area.
The only other warning we were given was about the mosquitos who apparently love this kind of weather.

I'm interested to know what the weather is really like currently too, given all the weather channels just show a thunder storm.

Regards,
Mark.

nickcfc

Sep 21, 2004
www.carpgallery.com
Hi there,

We are flying out from Gatwick on the 7th Oct.

charlie_ocs said:
Thanks for your help guys. I'm feeling a bit less stressed about it all now.

I notice when I check the weather for that area (10 day forecase on weather.co.uk) it still says there are thunderstorms most days. Is this the case?

Are there any more expected tropical storms or hurricanes in the area? I know Hurricane Karl actually went over the Highlands of Scotland at the weekend but this was the only other hurricane I knew of.

Again, any help would be much appreciated.

Charlie
x ;) x

P.S. Nick - where abouts are you flying out from?

jnock

Sep 30, 2004
Canoa Coral by Hilton

It would be great to know if the bridge is up and we can go from La Romana to Bayahibe. Even if it is only a foot bridge we could taxi to the bridge,cross over, and get a prearrainged cab on the other side. Sure beats flying into Punta Cana. Anyone have current status of the bridge?
Jane