Awesome Aerial Photos - Chavon River!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Photo's taken yesterday (Friday) at around midday.

This is or was the main bridge crossing the Chavon on the road from La Romana to Higuey or Bayahibe.

chavon_1.jpg

chavon_2.jpg

chavon_3.jpg

chavon_4.jpg

chavon_5.jpg

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This bridge is on the highway between Higuey and El Seybo and is also crossing the Chavon.

Seybo_1.jpg

Seybo_2.jpg

Seybo_3.jpg

Seybo_4.jpg

Seybo_5.jpg

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The railroad bridge is crossing the Chavon and is located somewhere between La Romana - Higuey highway and the El Seybo - Higuey highway

rail_1.jpg

rail_2.jpg

ginaceci

Mar 9, 2004
I guess this means that there is no way to get to Santo Domingo from Punta Cana, or am I mistaken?

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Right now, plane is the only way. I will try and find out the status of the temp bridge and post it here.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
An update will be posted later on the bridge situation in the DR1 news. At present there is a pedestrian bridge in place over Chavon, a landcrossing was available over the weekend, but excessive traffic caused its temporary closing. Government is working on multiple landlinks at different points. A temporary bridge for passing of cars through the Chavon Dam point should be ready in 10 days.

Last edited:

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
A friend of mine is flying into SDQ on November 8th, but staying in PUJ. He has transfers from the airport. Does anyone think he should try and rebook his ticket into PUJ or may the crossing be somewhat completed by then?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
NY1 said:
A friend of mine is flying into SDQ on November 8th, but staying in PUJ. He has transfers from the airport. Does anyone think he should try and rebook his ticket into PUJ or may the crossing be somewhat completed by then?

If he is headed for PUJ, why is he landing in SDQ? Even under normal circumstances, this makes no sense as it is a three hour drive to get to Punta Cana and very costly if done by taxi. Of course he should rebook to land directly into PUJ.

Otherwise, a temporary crossing will be in place by then. The government is saying another 10 days so that makes it around the 6th of October.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
AAVacations does the transfer free of charge and the flight was $250 cheaper per person. With the connection times in San Juan or Miami for the flight to PUJ, it turned out to be either wait 2+ hours at the airport or 3 hours in a van. AA did not have nonstops on the days they are travelling. Besides the couple gets to see some of the countryside, as they've never been to DR before.

If things will be somewhat normal in 10 days, they should be fine, provided another storm doesn't come calling.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
NY1 said:
AAVacations does the transfer free of charge and the flight was $250 cheaper per person. With the connection times in San Juan or Miami for the flight to PUJ, it turned out to be either wait 2+ hours at the airport or 3 hours in a van. AA did not have nonstops on the days they are travelling. Besides the couple gets to see some of the countryside, as they've never been to DR before.

If things will be somewhat normal in 10 days, they should be fine, provided another storm doesn't come calling.

Go for it if they don't have to pay for the transfer!
They get a free tour!

principe

Nov 19, 2002
That is really going to make things difficult in that area. Hopefully a new (better) bridge wil be built sooner rather than later.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
badpiece33 said:
Can I drive from Capital to Higuey or not at the present time?
Badpiece

The El Seibo - Sabana del Cuey crossing is supposedly open, but I would avoid it unless an ultimate emergency.

See DR1 Daily News today for more information on the bridges getting put in.

timelessdreams

Apr 5, 2004
Is it just me?

Robert,

Is it just me or dothese photos show the one of the center steel braces disconnected? Was this due to the river overflow?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
timelessdreams said:
Robert,

Is it just me or dothese photos show the one of the center steel braces disconnected? Was this due to the river overflow?

Thanks

Yes, that's what it looks like.

mk-ultra

Sep 13, 2004
asopranz said:
Do you have news or recent photos about the bridge?

Thank you
Andrea

yes i'm also interested to know about the bridge in la romana. haven't heard anything new about it.

pedrodominicus

Dec 2, 2003
More Info Please

Does anyone know if the floating bridge, when completed, will have a one or two way flow?

Robert?s photos dated 27th September suggest only one way which present a major bottleneck for many months, if not years to come. Hope I?m wrong, does anyone have more info?

pedom