Nurses in the DR

daisyone

Aug 16, 2003
My husband and I are considering moving to the DR after partially retiring. I am a nurse and he is a paramedic and a police officer. I've read that police arent really well paid in the DR, but his medic status may compensate. Anyway, does anyone know about how much these professions will make? (nurse, medic, police). Thanks...Daisyone

T

TiberiusMineola

Practical Nurses - very poorly paid ! !

I'm an American who has been living in the DR for 8 years.
I've met 4 - 6 - 8 "L P Ns" [ the US designation]. Nearly all have left the profession for other, better paying work; the average compensation is @ 5,000 Pesos / month. They work hard, with much night work. They have to administer medications & give injections. The education appears to be @ 1 1/2 years, part of a specialized high school curriculum. In addition, many have to do secretarial work & collect money owed to the clinic, via the telephone in their down time.
RNs - I don't know; there don't appear to be many.
OR nurses. There are many clinics in Santo Domingo & Santiago; many perform surgery, indlucing difficlut surgeries. There appear to be many very well qualified OR nurses. How much to the earn? More than 5,000 Peses / month; how much more? I don't know.
For an American to find police work in the DR is simply not realistic, in my opinion.

gatoazul

Aug 24, 2004
None of these professions are well paid at DR

None of your professions are well paid at DR. I suggest you to come here and see if you can make your own related business before moving in definetly. At DR is easier to create a company compared to the States and Europe, as far as I know.

Good luck!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The best advice I can give you is

Stay Where You ARE!!

Do your 25-30 years, get your pensions and your Social Security or your 401s and THEN you can come here to retire and make your money serve you better.

Neither of your occupations will qualify you for more than the bedpan brigade and in 42 years here I have yet to even see a Paramedic, much less imagine what one would earn. There are none.

Start your own company?

Yeah, right! In what area? The only thing I have come up with is a retirement facility for United States retirees that want to have a better climate and more opportunities to be out and about in a safe environement.

Think on that. Just takes a few mill to get it started right...

HB :D:D

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Two of my aunts are nurses. One of them has all the studies you can get here short of actually graduating as a doctor. I think she makes about 12,000.00/month. Not a completely bad salary in the great scheme of things, but a pittance for anyone who actually wants to have a good life. Luckily for her being a nurse is not her main source of income.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If it was anybody else but PIB, I think I might have said

Something like this, with a [snicker-snicker] thrown in:

Yeah, right, a lot of nurses do that as their major source of income...[snicker-snicker]

HB:D:D However, them's the facts of life here... Oh so sadly!:(:(

gatoazul

Aug 24, 2004
Hillbilly said:
Stay Where You ARE!!

Do your 25-30 years, get your pensions and your Social Security or your 401s and THEN you can come here to retire and make your money serve you better.

Neither of your occupations will qualify you for more than the bedpan brigade and in 42 years here I have yet to even see a Paramedic, much less imagine what one would earn. There are none.

Start your own company?

Yeah, right! In what area? The only thing I have come up with is a retirement facility for United States retirees that want to have a better climate and more opportunities to be out and about in a safe environement.

Think on that. Just takes a few mill to get it started right...

HB :D:D

I understood that they were considering to move and asking about money while in here, not asking if they should move to DR.

I am not a nurse or a policeman but I know people here who lives well from renting equipment and from selling related products.

I'm not as smart as you are. I believe that one of the reasons is that I'm younger. The other should be in the genes, but I'm trying hard.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Renting "Equipment",and selling "Related Products"????

Please try being a little more vague,we "Might" figure out what the hell you are talking about!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Argo

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 5, 2004
Sticking my nose in

gatoazul said:
I understood that they were considering to move and asking about money while in here, not asking if they should move to DR.

I am not a nurse or a policeman but I know people here who lives well from renting equipment and from selling related products.

I'm not as smart as you are. I believe that one of the reasons is that I'm younger. The other should be in the genes, but I'm trying hard.

Original post

I've read that police arent really well paid in the DR, but his medic status may compensate. Anyway, does anyone know about how much these professions will make? (nurse, medic, police). Thanks...Daisyone

At least to my comprehension, and I am pretty young and genetically challenged also, it appears the original poster was very much interested in salary and or other compensation, or could they afford to live in the DR on the salaries paid to these professions

I believe HB answered succinctly and properly. Maybe you owe the man an apology or at least recognition that your being young and genetic problem is preventing you from comprehending :)

:beard:

gatoazul

Aug 24, 2004
Argo said:
Original post

I've read that police arent really well paid in the DR, but his medic status may compensate. Anyway, does anyone know about how much these professions will make? (nurse, medic, police). Thanks...Daisyone

At least to my comprehension, and I am pretty young and genetically challenged also, it appears the original poster was very much interested in salary and or other compensation, or could they afford to live in the DR on the salaries paid to these professions

I believe HB answered succinctly and properly. Maybe you owe the man an apology or at least recognition that your being young and genetic problem is preventing you from comprehending :)

:beard:

Ok, he wrote something that is true. I agree with him in that. But, I also believe that there are options and wrote about it. Simply. I don't need to write "yeah, right!!" and stuff like that to say something different to what somebody has written.

And I don't see why I have to apologize. I didn't offended him, at least intentionally. If you can make me see how I offended him I will apologize properly. I don't know him personnally but I like the way he helps people with clear advices.

gatoazul

Aug 24, 2004
Criss Colon said:
Please try being a little more vague,we "Might" figure out what the hell you are talking about!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Hi Criss. If you are really interested in knowing what I'm talking about, I'd be happy to tell you and give you some addresses of businesses located in Santo Domingo and Santiago area that are owned by former policemen and former nurses and that are related to both worlds. But only if you are really interested.

You can give an email address and I will send it to you gladly. I didn't think you might be interested.

Good luck!