Iberostar Dominicana...NOT UP TO STANDARDS!!

CindyP71

Sep 20, 2004
So, after all this time, the Iberostar wasn't telling the truth (last week, when I called, they "claimed" the hurricane missed their resort).

I received an e-mail from our travel agent stating that she received a voice mail message when she got in this morning from last night, telling her that they are canceling this Wednesday's Punta Cana flight which I was scheduled on. Apparently PUJ is not up to their standards yet in regards to the clean up process they've been going through since the hurricane.

Because WE are canceling the flight, your options are that you can cancel with a full refund or they have indicated that there is nothing available until the weekend.

So, for all those going to Punta Cana (especially those staying at the Iberostar Dominica)... call and double check.

As a side note, the Iberostar is attached to anther hotel... but I can not remember the other hotel.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Don't be so quick to condem the hotel.

CindyP71 said:
...I received an e-mail from our travel agent stating that she received a voice mail message when she got in this morning from last night, telling her that they are canceling this Wednesday's Punta Cana flight which I was scheduled on. Apparently PUJ is not up to their standards yet in regards to the clean up process they've been going through since the hurricane.

...As a side note, the Iberostar is attached to anther hotel... but I can not remember the other hotel.

Both the Iberostars (3) and Rius (5) are side by side on that stretch of beach. What has started happening is what you are experiencing. First this is hurricane season and consequently the resorts and the planes are not full. Due to the impact of the Jeanne some resorts are closed causing even lower load factors for the airplanes fron US, Canada, etc. When the load factor gets low enough that the Tour Operator will lose money - they cancel the flight EVEN THOUGH THERE ARE UNDAMAGED HOTELS WITH RESERVATIONS FROM WILLING PASSENGERS.

You may want to believe the Tour Operators "company line" but it's all about $$MONEY$$.

Gregg

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
The process

Gregg is right Cindy, the hotel may very well be up to standards! They may not have had any damage at all but just clean up. The problem is the general area and the progress they are making....

hopefully things will get better

Tracy

Jan 23, 2004
So true...

You may want to believe the Tour Operators "company line" but it's all about $$MONEY$$.

Gregg[/QUOTE]

I had 2 honeymoon couples scheduled to depart to Punta Cana Oct.4, with Vacation Express. Both were cancelled and are now going to Cancun.
Another honeymoon couple coming Oct. 25th and a family of five coming Oct. 29th. I went to the web site just to make sure the final payment had been posted on one of the bookings and found the flights to be cancelled already.
I never would have thought they would have cancelled their flights that far out, let alone all flights to PUJ being cancelled until Feb. 2005. Things just didn't add up until I realized their contracted charter service is almost complete and they will have a new charter company starting in Dec.
So IMO they are using the situation as an early way out of their contract.
The family of five have also been rebooked to Cancun, however my third honeymoon couple still want Punta Cana and are holding a reservation now with Apple Vac. with scheduled air and the same dates...

Tracy

CindyP71

Sep 20, 2004
FireGuy said:
Both the Iberostars (3) and Rius (5) are side by side on that stretch of beach. What has started happening is what you are experiencing. First this is hurricane season and consequently the resorts and the planes are not full. Due to the impact of the Jeanne some resorts are closed causing even lower load factors for the airplanes fron US, Canada, etc. When the load factor gets low enough that the Tour Operator will lose money - they cancel the flight EVEN THOUGH THERE ARE UNDAMAGED HOTELS WITH RESERVATIONS FROM WILLING PASSENGERS.

Gregg

You may be right, but if that were true, the agency would have easily had the travelers stay in the hotels that "claimed" there was no damage. By doing that, the anency would have still made money.

We'll have to see how the vacations turned out for those who still had to go.

locofoto

Aug 18, 2004
CindyP71 said:
You may be right, but if that were true, the agency would have easily had the travelers stay in the hotels that "claimed" there was no damage. By doing that, the anency would have still made money. [...]

Really? The biggest part in costs of an all-inclusive vacation package is the airfare. If the plane is not full, it has a big impact on the tour operators profit.

I personally stay away from all and any all-inclusive packages. There is no such thing as a free lunch ... ;)

SafireDream

Jul 5, 2004
Okay, Cindy, I am not saying this to be harsh but are you mad at the world about your trip cancellation? I have read your message on several threads. I know a couple who just returned from Iberostar Bavaro (one of the three in the Iberostar complex) and they did not have complaints. They said that the resort was surprisingly nice since winds of over 90mph and torrential rain hit the island. There were some minor damages that needed to be repaired and from their account, the workers were very busy making repairs. Of course, many in that area are still cleaning up. After all, Jeanne was a very destructive tropical storm/hurricane. It is quite possible that because the chartered airlines were not full as they usually are, your travel agency cancelled your trip. I know that my flight on AA is full so there will be no cancellations from my travel agent. Understand that natural disasters do occur and that sometimes we must accomodate "Mother Nature" instead of having our way.

Tracy

Jan 23, 2004
Tour Operators/Airlines Cancel not the Travel Agency

It is the individual Tour Operator or Airline that determines cancellations.
If booked through a travel agent, the agent notifies the client of the cancellation.

What tour company or airline were you booked with to travel to PUJ?

When they are the one's that cancel then you are given options on what can be done. I had 5 different bookings to PUJ with Vacation Express all cancelled. They were offered a full refund, another destination they had service to and comparable hotel, or wait until they offered PUJ service again..Most opted to go to Cancun, only 2 bookings were refunded.

My main concern was that my clients be rebooked and that they didn't have to pay another penny, even if the agency lost money.

Tracy

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Cindy, with respect,

CindyP71 said:
You may be right, but if that were true, the agency would have easily had the travelers stay in the hotels that "claimed" there was no damage. By doing that, the anency would have still made money.

We'll have to see how the vacations turned out for those who still had to go.

You either didn't read or didn't understand what I posted.

I stand by my posting.

Gregg

CindyP71

Sep 20, 2004
Tracy said:
It is the individual Tour Operator or Airline that determines cancellations.
If booked through a travel agent, the agent notifies the client of the cancellation.

What tour company or airline were you booked with to travel to PUJ?

When they are the one's that cancel then you are given options on what can be done. I had 5 different bookings to PUJ with Vacation Express all cancelled. They were offered a full refund, another destination they had service to and comparable hotel, or wait until they offered PUJ service again..Most opted to go to Cancun, only 2 bookings were refunded.

My main concern was that my clients be rebooked and that they didn't have to pay another penny, even if the agency lost money.

Tracy

Tracy, I was booked with Apple Vacations and they did refund our money in full. I did have the option of going back to the DR the following week (but there was still a chance that that one may have been cancelled as well), or to go to Cancun the three days later. We opted for the refund since the last time I went to Mexico, I ended up in the emergency room with a parasite.

We plan on visiting Punta Cana, but at a later date. A couple that we know has never gone to the same place twice, but insists that if given the chance to go back to Punta Cana (if the price is right), they would do so in a heart beat (just not during hurricane Season).

CindyP71

Sep 20, 2004
SafireDream said:
Okay, Cindy, I am not saying this to be harsh but are you mad at the world about your trip cancellation? I have read your message on several threads. I know a couple who just returned from Iberostar Bavaro (one of the three in the Iberostar complex) and they did not have complaints. They said that the resort was surprisingly nice since winds of over 90mph and torrential rain hit the island. There were some minor damages that needed to be repaired and from their account, the workers were very busy making repairs. Of course, many in that area are still cleaning up. After all, Jeanne was a very destructive tropical storm/hurricane. It is quite possible that because the chartered airlines were not full as they usually are, your travel agency cancelled your trip. I know that my flight on AA is full so there will be no cancellations from my travel agent. Understand that natural disasters do occur and that sometimes we must accomodate "Mother Nature" instead of having our way.

As I stated in a previous post to you...
I'm not mad at the world, I was upset about the hotel claiming "everything was fine and that the hurricane missed their resort" (when in fact, it didn't).

I knew booking the trip in Sept. would pose some risk as far as a hurricane is concerned, but I was also informed that if at anytime, a hurricane would hit, Apple Vacations would put us first and not force us into staying if the resort that was no longer a 5 golden apple rate. So, I didn't think there would be much of a risk in booking it in Sept. I'm also for honesty and I don't feel the hotel was being honest with people (especially me) when they called. We do plan on going back to the DM, but at a much later date.

I have also searched other sites and found one that rated the hotels (the good and bad) and have come to the decision that it was a good thing that Apple canceled our trip.

jaksbak33

Sep 23, 2004
Palladium Bavaro

CindyP71 said:
I'm not mad at the world, I was upset about the hotel claiming "everything was fine and that the hurricane missed their resort" (when in fact, it didn't).

I knew booking the trip in Sept. would pose some risk as far as a hurricane is concerned, but I was also informed that if at anytime, a hurricane would hit, Apple Vacations would put us first and not force us into staying if the resort that was no longer a 5 golden apple rate. So, I didn't think there would be much of a risk in booking it in Sept. I'm also for honesty and I don't feel the hotel was being honest with people (especially me) when they called. We do plan on going back to the DM, but at a much later date.

I have also searched other sites and found one that rated the hotels (the good and bad) and have come to the decision that it was a good thing that Apple canceled our trip.
Any doubts, then head to this resort. Just got back after 6 days and had a wonderful time. My trip was also booked through Apple Vacations for an all inclusive and went off without a hitch. The weather was great along with the resort it's self. Can't wait til my next trip!!

SafireDream

Jul 5, 2004
Just an update!!!

CindyP71 said:

I returned yesterday from my trip to Iberostar Punta Cana and had a wonderful time. There was very little damage to the resort other than damaged palm trees which the workers had already cut down. One beach snack bar was damaged. The workers were in the process of rebuilding the snack bar. The resort was crowded and everyone was enjoying themselves. Since I am not one to stay locked up on an AI resort, I did travel almost everyday around to different areas. Yes, some areas in Punta Cana were hit much harder than others. In my opinion, the hotel did not falsely advertise by any means. It was well worth the trip! I hope that when you do go to Punta Cana that you relax and enjoy!

Last edited: