Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Dominicans in Halifax NS?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Any Dominicans in Halifax NS?

Just wondering if there are any Dominicans living in Halifax, Nova Scotia that might wish to make acquintances with a very, culture shocked 30-ish Dominicano from Sosua?

Rest in peace Amigo!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nelly
    Just wondering if there are any Dominicans living in Halifax, Nova Scotia that might wish to make acquintances with a very, culture shocked 30-ish Dominicano from Sosua?
    Yes, it would be a bit of culture shock; although we did try to make Dominicans feel at home a year ago by bringing Hurricane Juan to town. I just don't think they would have appreciated the "White" Juan snowstorm with 98 cm of snow complete with 2 meter drifts, last year.

Gregg

P.S. - We do drink lots of rum & beer in Nova Scotia so maybe a bit of home. (LOL)

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nelly

Well, I'm not Dominican but welcome to Halifax anyway. An article I read in the local newspaper (July,04) stated that there were 26,335 immigrants and non-permanent residents in the city, and of those only 30 are from the DR.

That doesn't make for such a large community. You may have to suffer with meeting some of the locals.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The question was for my husband who just immigrated to Canada from the DR. While he has no objections to making Canadian friends, I think it would be helpful for him to chat with a fellow Dominicano about life here, from a perspective that he can relate with. URock, of the 30 Dominicans, I bet that more than a few of them are students as Dalhousie University's language department has an exchange program with a university in Santiago. I think that we will check with the Newcomer's centre and maybe head out to a few clubs this weekend, like the new El Metro and Latin Night at Merryl's, to see who we can hook up with.
    Cheers,
    Nelly

Rest in peace Amigo!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I will check with

my sister-in-law who teaches ESL in Halifax to see how many are enroled in their program (assuming they have country of origin data).

Gregg

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Gregg, that would be helpful. He is going for his ESL language assessment next week and should be enrolled in classes right away, so he will likely meet some people there as well.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Halifax, it's a beautiful place to be. Hope your husband doesn't get homesick, hopefully he'll be able to meet some people from home....or else otehr people in the same situation who can releate.
    lisa

Rest in peace Amigo!
    Post Thanks / Like

My SIL doesn't think there are any Dominicans in Halifax but thinks there may be some in Dartmouth (this is as far as the ESL classes goes) but she will check.

You should also see www.misa.ns.ca where there is a section about the ESL assessment at www.misa.ns.ca/English_Assessment/index.htm as well as much more info.

I will get back to you when I have more.

I can also be reached at gandrews@accesswave.ca or Gregg.Andrews@gmail.com

Gregg

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

My cousin, Rene Castillo (actually, my husband Angel's cousin) is originally from Los Jaliscos, which is a part of Sosua. When he immigrated to Canada, he lived in Truro for quite a few years, now lives in London, ON...he couldn't take the winters. Drop me a PM, maybe your husband and my husband know each other, Angel is also from Sosua. Perhaps I can hook him up with Rene and Becky.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trina
    My cousin, Rene Castillo (actually, my husband Angel's cousin) is originally from Los Jaliscos, which is a part of Sosua. When he immigrated to Canada, he lived in Truro for quite a few years, now lives in London, ON...he couldn't take the winters. Drop me a PM, maybe your husband and my husband know each other, Angel is also from Sosua. Perhaps I can hook him up with Rene and Becky.

Thank you everyone!

Gregg, we live in Dartmouth, so that's even better! We have an assessment appointment at MISA on Tuesday. I will make a few enquiries then.

Trina, I sent you PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast