Any Dominicans in Halifax NS?

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Just wondering if there are any Dominicans living in Halifax, Nova Scotia that might wish to make acquintances with a very, culture shocked 30-ish Dominicano from Sosua?

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Nelly said:
Just wondering if there are any Dominicans living in Halifax, Nova Scotia that might wish to make acquintances with a very, culture shocked 30-ish Dominicano from Sosua?

Yes, it would be a bit of culture shock; although we did try to make Dominicans feel at home a year ago by bringing Hurricane Juan to town. I just don't think they would have appreciated the "White" Juan snowstorm with 98 cm of snow complete with 2 meter drifts, last year.

Gregg

P.S. - We do drink lots of rum & beer in Nova Scotia so maybe a bit of home. (LOL)

URock

Feb 10, 2003
Nelly said:

Well, I'm not Dominican but welcome to Halifax anyway. An article I read in the local newspaper (July,04) stated that there were 26,335 immigrants and non-permanent residents in the city, and of those only 30 are from the DR.

That doesn't make for such a large community. You may have to suffer with meeting some of the locals. ;)

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The question was for my husband who just immigrated to Canada from the DR. While he has no objections to making Canadian friends, I think it would be helpful for him to chat with a fellow Dominicano about life here, from a perspective that he can relate with. URock, of the 30 Dominicans, I bet that more than a few of them are students as Dalhousie University's language department has an exchange program with a university in Santiago. I think that we will check with the Newcomer's centre and maybe head out to a few clubs this weekend, like the new El Metro and Latin Night at Merryl's, to see who we can hook up with.
Cheers,
Nelly :)

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
I will check with

my sister-in-law who teaches ESL in Halifax to see how many are enroled in their program (assuming they have country of origin data).

Gregg

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks Gregg, that would be helpful. He is going for his ESL language assessment next week and should be enrolled in classes right away, so he will likely meet some people there as well.

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
Welcome to Halifax, it's a beautiful place to be. Hope your husband doesn't get homesick, hopefully he'll be able to meet some people from home....or else otehr people in the same situation who can releate.
lisa

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
My cousin, Rene Castillo (actually, my husband Angel's cousin) is originally from Los Jaliscos, which is a part of Sosua. When he immigrated to Canada, he lived in Truro for quite a few years, now lives in London, ON...he couldn't take the winters. Drop me a PM, maybe your husband and my husband know each other, Angel is also from Sosua. Perhaps I can hook him up with Rene and Becky.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
trina said:
My cousin, Rene Castillo (actually, my husband Angel's cousin) is originally from Los Jaliscos, which is a part of Sosua. When he immigrated to Canada, he lived in Truro for quite a few years, now lives in London, ON...he couldn't take the winters. Drop me a PM, maybe your husband and my husband know each other, Angel is also from Sosua. Perhaps I can hook him up with Rene and Becky.

Thank you everyone!

Gregg, we live in Dartmouth, so that's even better! We have an assessment appointment at MISA on Tuesday. I will make a few enquiries then.

Trina, I sent you PM.

courtness

May 25, 2005
Hola, escuchame, yo se que tienes tiempo en NS pero..

Nelly said:

hi, i have just married a dominican from puerto plata, i am waiting for his immagrtaion to go through and i think that by november he will be able to come. i was wondering if you could give us any advice about him comming here and any helpfull hints. he thinks that he will love the cold and many other crazy things but i know better. i know that he is going to have a hard time with it. please write me back, it would be soo helpfull.
thanks.
Courtney Polanco Hernandez

Last edited:

courtness

May 25, 2005
quiero hablar con dominicanos que viven en Nueva Scotia!

quiero comunicar con un dominicano que viven en NS, estoy muy interesado en hablando con alguien. escribame...courtness15@hotmail.com

Last edited:

pi?acolada

Mar 9, 2005
Dominicans in Halifax

courtness said:
quiero comunicar con un dominicano que viven en NS, estoy muy interesado en hablando con alguien. escribame...courtness15@hotmail.com[/QUOTE

I'm a dominican and I was living in Halifax in 2000. At this time latins used to meet at a latin discotheque located in the second floor of a building in Spring Garden Rd. (close to the restaurant Mexicali Roses) There were very few dominicans in Halifax :cry: . If you need additional info u can send me a PM.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
I know that last month (April 29 to be exact) there was a Dominicano on our return flight POP- YHZ who was living in Halifax. He had been in the DR for two weeks visiting family.

Gregg

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
To my knowledge there are only a handful of Dominicans living in Halifax. To hook up with our local latino community, which is very small but growing I would suggest that you go to the Metro Tapas bar on Grafton Street, any Friday or Saturday night when they have latin dancing.

But let me tell you something. I hope this doesn't sound too negative but I'm going to share with you some reality. I hope it helps to prepare you for the challenges ahead. I don't usually spill my personal details but I feel that I have an obligation to share my experiences if it may help someone.

First, your husband will need to be able to speak English in order to work and socialize here. If he doesn't speak it, he should start learning now. If he is an unskilled worker with minimal education, he will have a difficult time finding work. Any work. Especially if he doesn't speak english. Cleaner, dishwasher, labourer, etc. are the kind of jobs he is looking at if he is lucky and if he speaks basic english. These jobs typically are at night or are shift work. You will likely need to drive him to and from work because even if he has his license, you will not be able to afford the insurance for someone with no driving record. He will also need to be a strong and outgoing person because he will need make the effort to make friends and learn about our culture by participating in it. Believe it or not, generally speaking, Haligonians are not that hospitable to immigrants, especially if he is darker skinned. Sorry to say that but its true, in my experience. So just be prepared.

For the first while you will have to do EVERYTHING for him. If his upbringing is the same as a lot of "average" Dominicanos, he will still expect you to cook and clean for him even if he is home all day because in his culture is the woman's job to take care of the home. In addition, he will rely on you for all of his needs including financial and may possibly resent you for it at the same time. This is where the machismo kicks in. It is very difficult so be prepared.

My situation did not turn out so good. We were very much in love, but my husband was not happy here and he was a different person. He was totally out of his element and ended up feeling very isolated. Our relationship has ended but he is happy again back in the DR where he should be.

In the meantime, I struggle to pick up the financial pieces of my life.

Lesson learned the hard way.

I wish you better luck.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Well

Listen the advice that experienced people are giving to you.

I'm from DR, Not machista, independent financially, I have a degree in Hospitality and strong skills in languages Im a mess when I write in English but speaking and understanting English, French, German, Italian I dont have problem at all. I will not say others thing including my skill for confidential reason.

I live in Toronto well you see a lot of Spanish people and let me tell you if He get a job is because he looks for it by himself or with your help but from someone else forget about it that will be a chance 1 of Millions.

Dominicans I know a lot here from Hight educated to sankies none of them help and they wont and they never helped me either. People are different here than back in the DR. I went thrue a lot of hard time finding real dominican friends here that I never find any.

I had several fights with my wife for how fustrated and lonely I felt before and all difficulties that I had here to make friend or to find a job. That many times she asked me if I want to go back to the DR. I wont leave her here but also we have a goal to see changes in life and general so let say if in 2 or 3 years we dont see changes then we will decided what to do if stay both here or go both to DR. My father at the airport before I toke the plane the first thing he told me "Every begining are hard" + "Be patient" I didn't know exactly what he meants with his words because was so nervous about about airplanes. but then later I realized.

Now this is me:

Working part time at one University in Toronto in the Info Center.
Learning the Canadian about Life and Culture.
about socialize what better place that school ? I am taking some extra French classes and soon going back to take some English Grammar.

Looking for a real job in my field. where every time that I got an Interview the first thing the employer say is "You are excellent out going person" or that "I have good skills and education" but to hold me down they use the Magic word "You dont have Canadian Experience" or "You just got here"

I swear God. that wen I get a full time job, I will save as much I can to start my own business here. maybe the first "Colmadon" jejejeje

Im very hopeful that every thing will be better is just that Im learning about the country still.

Dominicans here I dont really care, when I need them they are never there but I am always there for their needs. To get together for a beer or coffe is a pain and we have to plan that one month before the last minute cancel every thing. I need some help moving to a different location I call my Dominicans "friends" to help me out guess what they say "I will help you" last minute just my wife and I moved every thing it toke 2 days to finish.

Another day! I got a Job cleaning one Apartment for 1 day but I need some extra help so I call an dominican "Buddy" last minute he say not after we were commited to do the job. I called an Indian friend we did the job together regarding that this Indian guy was coming from a wealthy family he never work in his life because "Daddy and mom has $" but still the guy worked with me.

people who has being real to me has being Canadian or Others Immigrants. Tell him to read the Dominican News by Internet. www.hoy.com.do
www.listindiario.com and Tele latino on Chanel 35 I think.

I honestly dont miss the Dominican friends here I try to keep busy my self
send me a PM I will give some idea to dont be homesick.

So, tell him to be patient and learn English. I know this is a great country and I love Canada it just take time to get use to a few details.
I love the weather, organization and how clean is this country, transportation and many others things but as I said it takes time to get used to a lot of thing and understand a few rules or ethic of work.
I like my Job but I want more hours thats why Im looking for full time.

I got go I have a few phone calls to make and send my resume to some Hotels.

Adios amigos

Nelly said:
To my knowledge there are only a handful of Dominicans living in Halifax. To hook up with our local latino community, which is very small but growing I would suggest that you go to the Metro Tapas bar on Grafton Street, any Friday or Saturday night when they have latin dancing.

But let me tell you something. I hope this doesn't sound too negative but I'm going to share with you some reality. I hope it helps to prepare you for the challenges ahead. I don't usually spill my personal details but I feel that I have an obligation to share my experiences if it may help someone.

First, your husband will need to be able to speak English in order to work and socialize here. If he doesn't speak it, he should start learning now. If he is an unskilled worker with minimal education, he will have a difficult time finding work. Any work. Especially if he doesn't speak english. Cleaner, dishwasher, labourer, etc. are the kind of jobs he is looking at if he is lucky and if he speaks basic english. These jobs typically are at night or are shift work. You will likely need to drive him to and from work because even if he has his license, you will not be able to afford the insurance for someone with no driving record. He will also need to be a strong and outgoing person because he will need make the effort to make friends and learn about our culture by participating in it. Believe it or not, generally speaking, Haligonians are not that hospitable to immigrants, especially if he is darker skinned. Sorry to say that but its true, in my experience. So just be prepared.

For the first while you will have to do EVERYTHING for him. If his upbringing is the same as a lot of "average" Dominicanos, he will still expect you to cook and clean for him even if he is home all day because in his culture is the woman's job to take care of the home. In addition, he will rely on you for all of his needs including financial and may possibly resent you for it at the same time. This is where the machismo kicks in. It is very difficult so be prepared.

My situation did not turn out so good. We were very much in love, but my husband was not happy here and he was a different person. He was totally out of his element and ended up feeling very isolated. Our relationship has ended but he is happy again back in the DR where he should be.

I wish you better luck.

Last edited:

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
Nelly

Hola Nelly--
I am getting married to a Dominincan in Feb, and hoepfully by the summer or end of the year next year he will be here in Halifax. I'm sure he will be looking for any trace of home while he is here. Let me know of any places you have found that has brought a little of the DR into Cda. Thanks
Just PM me.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Nelly said:

I wish you better luck.
First off I am sorry to hear about your misfortune and bad luck with your husband.

Next time you are in Sosua I hope you don't stand me up again. Glad to hear that I am back in the running:)

Escott

courtness

May 25, 2005
are you still there?

Nelly said:

Hi Nelly,
Just wondering if you're still in Halifax? If not where did you get to?
Courtness