Dominicans in Hampton Roads area?

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Any Dominicans in the area other than the Navy people? It feels lonely even though there's everything else over here. Let me know...... ;) I'm just kidding about the sad face above.....

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Jon S. said:
Any Dominicans in the area other than the Navy people? It feels lonely even though there's everything else over here. Let me know...... ;) I'm just kidding about the sad face above.....
Hey Jon, if it gets lonely, just throw a party and some of us DR1ers from DC area will swing down and lievn things up for you. ;)

hmmm, a road trip to Virginia Beach...not a bad idea! :cheeky:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I've never been to Virginia Beach area, but I know for a fact that there are quite a few dominicans that live there.

fooreverlasting

Sep 24, 2004
hey

My best friend lives in Virgin beach, and she is Dominican.... and she happens to be married to a guy from the Navy... so i am sure you are going to find some Dominican love over there

ALB3

Sep 15, 2003
They're There

My parents live in the Hampton Roads area. There is a not so small number of Dominicans living in Tidewater but they are all spread out. Most are in Virginia Beach. There is one Bodega in Virginia Beach but I can't remember the name of the street it is on.

michilonga

Mar 5, 2006
IM LIVE IN THE VA BEACH, I MOVED OUT HERE IN SEPTEMBER. DONT REALLY KNOW ANY DOMINICANS OUT HERE, I KNOW OF ONE DOMINICAN RESTAURANT, AND WHEN I WENT THEY WERE CLOSED. BUT I REALLY NEED TO GETA DUBI, DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A DOMINICAN SALON HERE?:surprised

ssasy

Mar 5, 2006
Hi Jon S.
I do not live in the Hampton area instead I live in the central part of VA, Charlottesville to be more specific. I am in the same situation as you are. I have been living here for a little over a year now, and I have not met any dominicans whatsoever. It does get lonely around here from time to time. Charlottesville is a really beutiful town but is BORING as h.....

Sorry I wasn't of much help.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Whats up? When I get back to Yorktown, I'll get in touch with you about the restaurants in the Va Beach area.......I go once a week to this place on Holland Rd called Teresita's, closest thing to Dominican food I can get....

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Funny ya'll should mention VA Beach. My cousin and I were just about to roll over there this weekend to hang out with a friend of hers. Next time she rolls down from NYC it's ON!

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
ssasy said:
Hi Jon S.
I do not live in the Hampton area instead I live in the central part of VA, Charlottesville to be more specific. I am in the same situation as you are. I have been living here for a little over a year now, and I have not met any dominicans whatsoever. It does get lonely around here from time to time. Charlottesville is a really beutiful town but is BORING as h.....

Sorry I wasn't of much help.
Yeah, I drove thru there on the way to St. Louis about a month ago, it was pretty.........and not much else. You won't meet any Dominicans there or anywhere outside of: Richmond, the Hampton Roads area or Northern VA. Keith R and other users live in NoVa, I have a few friends in Richmond and some other friends in the Hampton Roads area. The bad thing is that most Dominicans I know from there have left the area, because of the military. I am getting out in about 2 weeks and moving back to Florida next week but we can still get in touch......

Deelt, let me know before you go so we can meet up. As long as it's before the 30th, we're good...;)

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Sorry Boo. No can't do. My cousin just left and I aleady have weekend plans for the rest of the month. In fact I'm heading to NYC for that last weekend.
Have fun in FL.

Jon S. said:
Deelt, let me know before you go so we can meet up. As long as it's before the 30th, we're good...;)

ssasy

Mar 5, 2006
Jon S. said:
Yeah, I drove thru there on the way to St. Louis about a month ago, it was pretty.........and not much else. You won't meet any Dominicans there or anywhere outside of: Richmond, the Hampton Roads area or Northern VA. Keith R and other users live in NoVa, I have a few friends in Richmond and some other friends in the Hampton Roads area. The bad thing is that most Dominicans I know from there have left the area, because of the military. I am getting out in about 2 weeks and moving back to Florida next week but we can still get in touch......

I know that the number of Dominicans in Charottesville does not surpasses 15 if not less than that. I've recently learned through my husband that there is a restaurant called "Caribbean Malecon" whose owner is Dominican. He confirmed that the Dominican community here is almost non-existing. I am planning on visiting the restaurant soon to try the food.
Well, if I was the one moving to Florida I would be sooo excited. I cannot wait to move from Charlottesvile to a different area that at least feels a little bit "more like home".

jaine

Jan 21, 2006
Dominicans in Lebanon, Pa

I think there is quite a few Dominicans living in Lebanon, PA. Theres a restaurant downtown thats good but I dont know if it is Dominican.

ssasy

Mar 5, 2006
jaine said:
I think there is quite a few Dominicans living in Lebanon, PA. Theres a restaurant downtown thats good but I dont know if it is Dominican.

Jaine, I used to live in Reading, PA which is really close to Lebanon. The number of dominicans living in Reading is very big. There you can find tons of Dominican restaurants. However, the majority of them are fonda o comedor style. Almost in every corner is a dominican hair salon and in the bodegas you can find all the dominican products ( malta morena, salami, etc.) Unfortunately, the delicuency rate is very high. I think that the crime rate in Lebanon is not as high as Reading but Lebanon is a smaller city.

kcl060

Dec 10, 2006
You guys know there's a Dominican club and restaurant in Richmond called Quisqueya right? Grupo Xtreme came there once. It's usually pretty poppin on Saturday nights. Not too far from Hampton Roads to just go and hang out one night. And charlottesville...I'm in school there and the closest Dominican anything is in Richmond as far as I know.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i am originally from the Richmond area and i have relatives in Va Beach, Chesapeake and Norfolk. Quisqueya is located at 6346 Midlothian Turnpike Richmond, VA. not a lot for dominicans happening in that area. but like someone else posted, we can always do a get together !!!

kcl060

Dec 10, 2006
about Caribbean Malecon

By the way, I hear about Caribbean Malecon, too, and I was going to try it a few weeks ago, but it must not be in business anymore because I didnt see it :( Quisqueya in Richmond is a restaurant too though. You could always go try that. The same people that own it have a market about 10 or 15 minutes away on Hull St Rd (yea i know that sounds weird), but I dont have a street number. Definitely check out Quisqueya, though.

Yea, I think if you can count Charlottesville as having more then 15 Dominicans, it would only be if you count the UVA students, too.

C

Chip00

My brothers next door neighbors in Williamsburg are Dominicans and the wife makes un moro pa' chuparse los dedos. If anybody want their contact info let me know by pm.

ssasy

Mar 5, 2006
Thanks Kyle and kcl060 for the Quisqueya Rest. address. I will definitely give it a try.
kc060, you are right about Caribbean Malecon, it has been out of business since Sept-Oct. of last year. I don't know what went wrong because the people seemed to like it, and although the food was not very Dominican because they kept the same menu the previous owner had, during the week he had a Dominican buffet for lunch and it was delicious. In case you don't know, there is also a "Sunday salsa" here in C'ville but I don't even know what to comment on that........

Kyle, the get together sounds like a good idea to me. If you guys want to do it count me in.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Quisqueya is nice, it's a club at night. I moved back to Miami about 11 months ago, so I don't know what's going on out there anymore. Richmond was definitely more "urban" than where I was at when it came to the nightlife, but there were more establishments in the Hampton Roads area for Latin@s......