2004 Hurricane Track

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
History shows that this Caribbean island has never been affected by a hurricane outside of September. So, since it looks like there are none around the corner for this season, it may be it. Of course we are not off the hook because the hurricane season officially ends in November. I remember Mitch hit Honduras in October. But, let's go with averages and relax, learning from what the storms taught us this year. This definitely was a rollercoaster of a year with Florida getting the brunt of the storms.

Here is an interesting high tech Internet technology track map of this year's storms for the enjoyment of DR1 weather enthusiasts.

http://html.wesh.com/sh/idi/weather/hurricanes/hurricanetracker.html

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It was practically November when Mitch hit Central America.

Mitch stalled off the coast of Honduras from late on Oct. 27 until the evening of Oct. 29 before moving slowly inland. As the storm's winds weakened it continued dumping heavy rain on Central America, causing floods and mudslides that had been blamed for at least 10,000 deaths by Nov. 2. On Nov. 3, Mitch's ghostly remains entered the southern Gulf of Mexico and warm waters rejuvenated the system into a tropical storm. Mitch then barreled through southern Florida early Nov. 5 before finally becoming extratropical at 4 p.m. EST, Nov. 5.
Source: www.usatoday.com/weather/huricane/1998/wmitch.htm

I remember it well. I was helping a couple of colleagues plan a work visit to Honduras and I kept reassuring them that it was too late in the hurricane season for there to be anything to worry about. On the eve of the scheduled visit we received a message from the office in Tegucigalpa calling the trip off. Talk about famous last words. :confused: