E' P' Lante Que Vamos

ECH714

Mar 12, 2003
And just where the hell do the powers that be think we are going without electricity! I mean really, 20 hour black outs is not ridiculous; it is abusive. The DR, like the rest of the world, runs on electricity if it has any intention of progress it best provide the power. And while on the subject of progress, how can there be any with the massive corruption that is rampant in the country. I mean when the Chief of Police and several Generals are implicated in mis-use of stolen cars.....and let us not forget the bank scandal.....is any one in jail over that??? And more food for thought....did anyone find the missing OMSA busses? I believe there were 63 unaccounted for units. I won't even mention the disaster the public health system, clinics and hospitals are in. Yes, we are moving forward.....forward to revolution when the citizens get desperate enough. And final question, what kind of person(s) would want to get involved in trying to straighten out this night mare of a government system.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
-Van pa'lante...en unos cuantos a?os.

I think you are jumping the gun. With all the problems that Leonel Fern?ndez' administration has adopted I think you need to give him time to sift through the mess and try to come up with some strategies for change and improvement. The electricity problem has been one of many administrations in the past therefore the blackouts will continue. Needless to say that it needs resolve but he needs to also get a handle on many of the other issues that seem to be popping up day after day. For starters "la escasez de petr?leo y de gas propano". These shortages effect people's day to day. I can list many others but I don't see the point. Bottom line is he assumed the role on August 16, 2004 revisit and analyze the state of affairs on August 16, 2005. Progress like what you are expecting can not be achieved in less than two months and even after four years it may be minimal.

-Lesley D

Last edited:

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
The responsibility, or blame, belongs with Hippo...

The responsibility, or blame, belongs with Hippo and his band of delinquents; if you have any doubts, see the increased criminal activity since August 16th, the latest of which is the assasination attempt last night of Euri Cabral, long time critic of the past government and ally of the present one. This country was turned into a paradise for criminals during the previous administration; now they continue to commit abuses from the shadows rather than the government. The 'glorious' PRD and their PPH branch, of course.

Apr 26, 2002
ECH714 said:
...how can there be any with the massive corruption that is rampant in the country. I mean when the Chief of Police and several Generals are implicated in mis-use of stolen cars.....and let us not forget the bank scandal.....is any one in jail over that??? And more food for thought....did anyone find the missing OMSA busses? I believe there were 63 unaccounted for units...Yes, we are moving forward.....forward to revolution when the citizens get desperate enough.
Though I doubt you're Dominican, you sure sound it. In fact, you sound like one of the types who voted for Hippo in 2000 and then Leonel in 2004 and who now spite Leonel for not giving them jobs and fixing everything overnight.

First, you mean the FORMER Chief of Police and several FORMER generals. Second, the "bank scandal" occured in 2002 and, yes, there are "people in jail over that". Finally, the OMSA buses were DISCOVERED missing by the new administration. They went missing during the last administration.

Last edited:

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Who ?

Quote by ECH714 : And final question, what kind of person(s) would want to get involved in trying to straighten out this night mare of a government system.

I hope some of these intelligent Dominicans that are on this board. If not now then I am hoping they are getting ready now to maybe run in the 2006 elections. We need people that have the interests of this fine country at heart to take an active part in becoming part of the government as they are the ones that can bring about change. :tired:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It took Hippo four years to cause havoc on this country. His first year things went smooth, though with much criticism. After the second year all the way to the fourth, the effects of his erratic ways were being felt on a nationwide scale.

Expect Leonel's ordeal to be the same, though going the opposite direction. The first year is untangling the web of disasters Hippo created, so expect the first year to be the worst and following the second, third, and fourth year to be better than before. By the time Leonel leaves office, this country will be back on the growth highway.

It is already expected for the economy to grow by 2% finishing next year and 5% the year after that. Predictions for this year have been modified from a glooming -1% to a 0% (that means the economy is starting to do better than was expected).

This crisis took 4 years to come into existence, don't expect the solutions to come over night.

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
Well the dollar exchange rate has dropped from the 50th staircase to the 30th...you think that's bad for dominicans too??.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Well!

Oche said:
Well the dollar exchange rate has dropped from the 50th staircase to the 30th...you think that's bad for dominicans too??.
Although the new "ladron" has been there for just short period of time, it's in the "dominican" way that all will hit rock bottom before we see any changes. It amazes me that we can still say: "well, he needs to fix all the damage that "baldy left behind", yes, he should but if we keep on using that excuse EVERY single time a new president comes along, that means that EVERY single president is just going to take power to fix the damage done by the previous one. Leonel can be a good one but history shows that him and all the others before him care more about themselves, their families and friends than the dominican people. A potitician I am not, but one just need to check the dominican presidents history to see what they are all about.

The dollar keeps on going down and the food prices are going up, what else is new!. Now, whomever sends money to a loved one in the DR would have to send much more since the dollar is losing value.

What do you think is going to happen to those that were sending US $ 50 a week to a loved one to buy food?, now that person WILL need to send triple that amount since the prices are going up and the dollar is going down. So, yes, in my opinion, it's very bad for dominicans but also very bad for those who send money to their loved ones.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Inflation is like a roller coaster, once the inertia pushes the car up the hill, it slows down at a very slow pace, before stopping and rolling back down again.

1. Food prices are still going up, but they are going up much more slowly then they were before Leonel, just over a month ago!

2. As inflation stabilize and the dollar falls and stabilize, the wages will be slightly adjusted to reflect the higher cost of living.

3. Inflation is nothing to really worry about in the long run. Sure, its bad in the short run, but in the long run wages adjust themselves, because wages on the long run try to match the inflation levels. When you get hyperinflation, that could be a problem, but now our inflation levels are dropping, so expect things to change. Also, remember that the short run is over before you even realize it. So, focus on the long run when making predicitions or imposing decisions of whether something is good or bad for society.

4. All democratic leaders worry more about themselves than the country they serve. Look at George W. Bush with his Arbusto Oil Corporation and Halliburton and their government contracts in Iraq! Look at Putin in Russia, well the guy is a virtual dictator. Look at Berlusconi in Italy, he owns just about everything. That is just natural for democracies.

The deal is getting one who takes a little less than most, and in that respect Leonel fits the description. So, lets give Leonel the support he needs to get things done, because the last leader (suppose leader) we had was nothing to praise about. Even if we ignore all the major problems exacerbated by Hippo, his language and unpleasantness still puts him in the section of nothing to praise about.