Verizon Flash Contract....

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I contacted Verizon about Internet Flash and they say that if you order flash and cancel within 2 years you are required to pay them 5400 pesos. Is that something they can enforce or would they simply deny you future service if you don't pay it. That seems a little steep a penalty to me. Is that the Verizon policy in the USA?

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
Snuffy said:
I contacted Verizon about Internet Flash and they say that if you order flash and cancel within 2 years you are required to pay them 5400 pesos. Is that something they can enforce or would they simply deny you future service if you don't pay it. That seems a little steep a penalty to me. Is that the Verizon policy in the USA?

Yes they will try . send lawyer letters etc.
But it is not that steep . The contract is for the free modem .
its free after that time . If you stop early you have to pay for the modem..
thats the price..

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
This is how it works:

If you are a non-resident foreigner, forget it. You won't get service as you are legally non-existent.

If you are Dominican, or a resident foreigner then they will send their army of rabid weasels, er... I mean lawyers after you, stalk you and ruin your credit and eventually cause you enough grief that you wish you had paid.

That's how it is. I am stuck with their incredibly crappy service for another year.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
It took me 7 months to get the DSL line, they immediately starting cutting off my account for not paying invoices that I never got.

I then got into a system of calling them on a certain day in the month to find out the invoice amount and pay them on time. The bills arrive about 3 weeks later now, when the next bill is already due and almost late.

Currently, my line is out (again) and there is a message saying my service has been suspended, but when I call there they say my account is up to date and that my service should be working and that my problem must be my computer - which makes no sense whatsover since a message on the DSL phone says account has been suspended.

Not only does the right hand not know what the left hand is doing, but one finger is stuck in their ear and the other in their backside.

This has been the biggest headache and waste of money ever. These people are just fargin idiots working there.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
5400 pesos = 180 dollars

I am sorry but that is steep. This DSL modem value is about $20 dollars. It is a scare tactic to force you to keep the service for 2 years. Of course you go in knowing that. But Verizon seems to be the only game in town for where I live. I would get it in my wifes name and she is afraid to cancel and not pay the 5400 if we decide to go to USA within a year. I told her...nothing will come of it. But, she is afraid. What is it here...do they send the mafia to your home?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Many DSL contracts I have seen come with earlier termination penalties.

SBC DSL (Info Ramp):
After term of service no charge. Prior to expiration of initial term of service $300.00.

ATT (Mega Path):
If you choose to deactivate your service within the first year after installation is complete, you will be charged the following Early Termination Fees.

$150 - ADSL SX Circuits in Canada
$350 - SDSL (including SDSL SX) and IDSL Circuits
$100 - Cable (Main/Branch Office Time Warner)

etc etc etc...

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
It's impossible not to hate Verizon, but it's also impossible to do without them, unfortunately. If you have the cash and are serious about good service all you can really do is diversify, that's what my organization does with Verizon and Tricom. Usually one or the other will be working. I threaten to cancel on one and use the other exclusively from time to time, but neither of them really care, there are enough suckers here who will pay for their second-rate services that that they could care less what I do, and of course you never get a chance to talk to anyone who makes decisions anyway.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I hear you Mike.

For the last 4 days my connection dies every 50 seconds or so late at night. No problem during the day, except today briefly. I called the morons and they tell me that it is 'impossible' that that is happening, an old tactic of theirs. Not only is their service crappy but they are also insinuating that I either don't know what I am talking about or I am delusional.

I am having murderous fantasies involving their service people as of lately. :tired:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I live on the North Coast and had a similar problem with my DSL. I called them Monday morning at 9:30 AM. They said that by Wednesday they would send someone. Four hours later a tech arrived. He said that the problem was in their center. The next morning he was back and it was fixed.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
DSL Service

I, too, have had excellent support when contacting Verizon re my DSL service. They have always responded by correcting the problem at their site, or sending someone out to my house in Costambar, usually the next day. I always get an English-speaking technician. What's more amazing is that I also always get a follow-up call, asking if everything is OK!!!!.
In contrast to my expierences here, let me relate a most unbelivable story about Verizon in NJ. When I returned to the US in May, I contacted Verizon to reactivate my DSL service. I was shifted from department to department, got calls telling me that I was back on-line, when I wasn't, and finally, after FOUR weeks, directed to a special customer-relations person, who informed me that from now on, she would personly handle and resolve the issue. Yeah, right! After another week I cancelled and called up Cablevision to switch to cable modem. Went immediately to their neighborhood office, picked up my modem, came home, hooked it up and was on line, all in one hour! The lesson to be learned? The technology is there (US) and here (DR); it's the people that make the difference, through their commitment to service.

Gappy

Jul 24, 2004
Glad to see that some people actually understand Verizon contracts and bills, I have a question that despite repeated attempts has not been answered...
Do I need VIP service to receive Flash or can I dispose of it ?
At the moment I'm paying basic rental, VIP and Flash and really only require Flash, anyone know?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I was told that you needed VIP for Flash, but this was years ago. I noticed that VIP has been downgraded lately though, and we are having to pay for local calls after a certain number of minutes. (forget how many)

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Flash w/o VIP

Gappy said:
Do I need VIP service to receive Flash or can I dispose of it ?
At the moment I'm paying basic rental, VIP and Flash and really only require Flash, anyone know?

Yes, you can have Flash w/o VIP. I was able to get Verizon to drop VIP and give me just "Renta Plan Residential Facil" at 390 pesos/month. As I recall, I met with some resistance, but, in the end, they relented.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Yesterday, my bill arrived, the one they cut my account off for 1 week ago.

I paid this bill plus the re-connection fee* last Friday but DSL is still not working. They are telling me their 'system' is down, not sure if thats the computer system to check my account or the whole DSL system.

They cannot do anything while their 'system' is down, which has been all day now.

There is no end to this comedy of errors by Verizon.

*3rd time in like 6 months they cut off my account because they keep delivering my bills to wrong address or not at all - now I want to change address to my business but they said I have to come in in person to do this - what a crock of chit.

Also, they have started to deliver someone else's bill to my house, but this address is far away from me. Obviously, the delivery guy for these bills has his head up his ***

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Conchman said:
*3rd time in like 6 months they cut off my account because they keep delivering my bills to wrong address or not at all - now I want to change address to my business but they said I have to come in in person to do this - what a crock of chit.
All companies make abundantly clear that just because you don't receive your bills or don't get them on time does not exonerate you from paying on time. You can call 220-1111 to get your balance, you don't even have to speak to a representative, it is automatic.

Which is not to say that Verizon doesn't suck.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Where do you people live

I think it depends on where you live in terms of service. I have had flash for sometme now and have never had a problem with service or with getting my bill on time. I can see if you live in place like Costambar of Cofresi sure. That's where all the gringo's live Verizon dosen't care about you and getting your bill to you on time nobody that works for Verizon lives in these places or know anybody that lives there so how do they know where to send the bill. Even with an address. Only the people who live there know the steet names and building numbers.