Finally in Canada!

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
Hello.

I am pleased to annouce that my husband was granted his Permanent Residency Visa on August 20, 2004 and arrived in Canada on September 4, 2004 and became a Permanent Resident.

Some of you may remember my previous posts outlining some of the difficulties that my husband and I were experiencing with Immigration Canada. The process for us from start to finish took 2.5 years. He was orignally denied a PR visa in July 2003. In April 2004, I attended a Alternative Dispute Resolution meeting with a lawyer representing CIC, an IAD (Immigration Appeal Division) member and my lawyer to discuss the issues that lead to the refusal. I won the appeal and it took just 4 months for CIC in Haiti to issue the visa for his travel to Canada.

We are extremely happy to put our experience with Immigration Canada behind us and to be able start our life together.

We haven't met any Dominicans yet here in Ottawa but have met many people from El Salvador and other Latin American countries.

Mu husband says he doesn't want to go home for a visit for a few years but I think that will change once he experiences our Canadian winters! :cross-eye

To those who offered their support over the years, thank you!!

Rosanie

ddawger

Aug 24, 2004
Rosanie said:
Hello.

I am pleased to annouce that my husband was granted his Permanent Residency Visa on August 20, 2004 and arrived in Canada on September 4, 2004 and became a Permanent Resident.

Some of you may remember my previous posts outlining some of the difficulties that my husband and I were experiencing with Immigration Canada. The process for us from start to finish took 2.5 years. He was orignally denied a PR visa in July 2003. In April 2004, I attended a Alternative Dispute Resolution meeting with a lawyer representing CIC, an IAD (Immigration Appeal Division) member and my lawyer to discuss the issues that lead to the refusal. I won the appeal and it took just 4 months for CIC in Haiti to issue the visa for his travel to Canada.

We are extremely happy to put our experience with Immigration Canada behind us and to be able start our life together.

We haven't met any Dominicans yet here in Ottawa but have met many people from El Salvador and other Latin American countries.

Mu husband says he doesn't want to go home for a visit for a few years but I think that will change once he experiences our Canadian winters! :cross-eye

Rosanie

Hi Rosanie, I am glad you and your husband were successful. Welcome to Canada!! I agree, our cold winters do drag on sometimes, hopefully October is as nice as September was.

Best Regards

ddawger

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
For the assistance of the others in your situation, how did you fly him to Canada? (There is a thread on this now).

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Felicidades, Rosanie. May your happiness continue. We're in Calgary, but if your husband ever feels homesick and wants to talk to a Dominican who's been through the move, drop my husband and I a line. Angel's been here for just over 3 years now, and always has time to talk to fellow Dominicans.

Again, congratulations!

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
Gracias!

Thank you all for your messages. It is still hard to believe that he is actually here! He really likes it here and he started working the second week after he arrived. Life is good!

To answer your question ricktoronto, we flew to Montreal with Air Canada. It was the expensive option but also the most reliable compared to waiting for a available seat with Skyservice or Airtransat.

Rosanie

Dec 9, 2002
Congratulations Rosanie, I'm so pleased it's finally worked out for you both. Here's to a long and happy future for the two of you.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Congrats Rosie. I'm glad to hear that everything worked out. My husband arrived just two weeks ago. He came in on Air Canada via Toronto/Halifax. We didn't encounter any major problems with the landing process. Now he is feeling pretty homesick though. What type of work is your husband doing? How is his english?

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Rosanie said:
...To answer your question ricktoronto, we flew to Montreal with Air Canada. It was the expensive option but also the most reliable compared to waiting for a available seat with Skyservice or Airtransat.

Nelly said:
...He came in on Air Canada via Toronto/Halifax. We didn't encounter any major problems with the landing process...

Interesting they both chose Air Canada.

Since AC; YYZ - POP & PUJ and YUL - POP & PUJ are all scheduled routes now, as long as your immigration documents are in order there is no reason (except the price ::OUCH!:: ) that return or one way fares cannot be purchased either in advance or the day of the flight (assuming space exists, of course). Even the price is not that bad considering that the one-way purchase is presumably a one time event. It will just disappear into the ongoing list of normal expenses over time. In the future, charters would be an option for return visits as long as 7 or 14 day timeframes will be adequate.

Gregg

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
Felicidades to you too Nelly!

My husband misses his family back in Rio San Juan but otherwise isn't really all that homesick - yet. He has been too busy! He calls his family a couple of times each week and has a friend from RSJ living in Vancouver with whom he can chat with when feeling lonely for home.

When he first arrived I brought him to Catholic Immigration Services here in Ottawa (check the CIC web site for a location in Halifax) and they provided us with a list of resources such as; available English classes and Employment Agencies. He decided to work first and take English classes in the winter. He is working with an employment agency now doing construction, landscaping and other types of work. This gives him a chance to earn some money, build some work experience in Canada and pick up some English. His English is improving everyday. New immigrants to Canada can take English classes free for the first 3 years from when they arrive - so there is time for him to enroll in one of the many classes offered in Ottawa.

We did not have any problems with Immigration when arriving in Montreal. It took all of about 10 minutes to fill out the paperwork and take his picture for his PR Card - which he received just last Friday. He now has his SIN card and a bank account and next week he will go to apply for a Health Card.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
FireGuy said:
Interesting they both chose Air Canada.

Since AC; YYZ - POP & PUJ and YUL - POP & PUJ are all scheduled routes now, as long as your immigration documents are in order there is no reason (except the price ::OUCH!:: ) that return or one way fares cannot be purchased either in advance or the day of the flight (assuming space exists, of course). Even the price is not that bad considering that the one-way purchase is presumably a one time event. It will just disappear into the ongoing list of normal expenses over time. In the future, charters would be an option for return visits as long as 7 or 14 day timeframes will be adequate.

Gregg

Gregg, I was very lucky in that my sister is an AC employee and came with me to pick him up. We never left airport in POP, which is impressive as we only had one hour and we were flying standby. On a side note: It was nice to learn that my spanish is finally being understood by people other than my husband as it was good enough to get out of paying the entrada/salida fees.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Those are all great ideas. Thanks Rosanie!

Rosanie said:
Felicidades to you too Nelly!

My husband misses his family back in Rio San Juan but otherwise isn't really all that homesick - yet. He has been too busy! He calls his family a couple of times each week and has a friend from RSJ living in Vancouver with whom he can chat with when feeling lonely for home.

When he first arrived I brought him to Catholic Immigration Services here in Ottawa (check the CIC web site for a location in Halifax) and they provided us with a list of resources such as; available English classes and Employment Agencies. He decided to work first and take English classes in the winter. He is working with an employment agency now doing construction, landscaping and other types of work. This gives him a chance to earn some money, build some work experience in Canada and pick up some English. His English is improving everyday. New immigrants to Canada can take English classes free for the first 3 years from when they arrive - so there is time for him to enroll in one of the many classes offered in Ottawa.

We did not have any problems with Immigration when arriving in Montreal. It took all of about 10 minutes to fill out the paperwork and take his picture for his PR Card - which he received just last Friday. He now has his SIN card and a bank account and next week he will go to apply for a Health Card.

Angelita

Jun 4, 2003
Congrats Rosanie

I would love to hear more about the English classes in Canada for 3 years, that is amazing, have not heard about that yet. Am waiting for my Husband to arrive too, we just started a few months ago, but I have done my research! You are sooooo very lucky, we dream of that day, no more trips, finding cheap air fare, calling cards, long distance bills, tearful I love yous and kisses on the phone and my least favorite painful good-byes..... I can't wait.

PS. You mean there is a Dominican living in Vancouver, that is where I live. I organize Salsa/Latin Events here and I have not met more than 2 or 3 Dominicans.

Would love to hear back from you! Email me if you can... salsacruises@shaw.ca

Laurel1

Oct 24, 2004
I am in sort of the same situation

Hola Rosanie,

I am very happy for you and your husband. I am trying to get my husband to Ottawa as well. I have been with my husband for 2 years now. We had only started in the past 2 months to try and obtain his PR. As you know this is so difficult. I have been living in Sosua on and off for the past 2 years because I knew that there was pretty much no hope in getting the PR. But, I wanted to come home to get back to reality and it is not the life for me. It is great for vacation but it is not the easiest place to live.

I am not sure if you know, but there is a large Dominican community here in Ottawa.

Please let me know if you have any tips for me in this long long process or anybody else does.

Thanks again!!

Laurel

Rosanie said:
Hello.

Rosanie

Lottusflower

Dec 15, 2003
Visiting Calgary on Dec 15 2004

Hi, trina

I will be in Calgary on December 15th 2004--18 visiting friends.. i would love to call you guys while I am there, since I am getting engaged with my Canadian Boyfriend in December....(he has given my hints!!!!) Anyway, if you are interested, look for my post "Canadian-Dominican Love" and write back!!!

Lottusflower

trina said:
Felicidades, Rosanie. May your happiness continue. We're in Calgary, but if your husband ever feels homesick and wants to talk to a Dominican who's been through the move, drop my husband and I a line. Angel's been here for just over 3 years now, and always has time to talk to fellow Dominicans.

Again, congratulations!